We need to learn how to attack properly! - And pass effectively. poor performance

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 65-1114725958 » Sun May 08, 2005 6:39 pm

Im not being funny, but having just watched the Arsh*ole game on Sky, Im sick of the teams we play against that make us look like amateurs.
Arsenal bossed the game, were sharper at passing. just like chelsea at anfield earlier this week.

Dont make excuses about the big champions league game, that was tuesday,5 days ago.

You can rave about alonso and Stevie g's passing ability all you like, when it comes to the crunch, we are poor at attacking. Also we are nearer to the bottom than the top of the prem league. a tale that never tells lies.

In 2 games v chelsea, they bossed the game, pasing it left and right, and we have a major tendancy to panic and just "hang on" for dear life.

And im completely bloody sick of it!

Everton have not won 4th place, we fecking handed it too them! every time they falterted, so did we.

We just have nothing to offer in attack whatsoever.
I cant shake off this feeling that stevie G is a bottler in big games. ie; Juve, chelsea, today etc he just is virtually non existent, and is by far from, being the finished article.

when are we gonna learn to control the ball and keep hold of it for longer, and make teams afraid  of us.

And I hope you all dont think we have the champions league final in the bag too, as that is gonna be a very hard game. I can see us defending competantly, but what have we got to offer in attack? baros has got the vision of stevie wonder.

If anyone slates me for this and says im not a true supporter, the you need to pull your head from up your own ar*e !

:censored:

:angry:  :angry:
65-1114725958

Postby XSD » Sun May 08, 2005 6:43 pm

We totally controlled the second half, our strikers are not good enough though.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Sun May 08, 2005 6:45 pm

Calm down mate Seasons nearly over things will get better next year.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 08, 2005 6:49 pm

gerrard had a good game today, he scored a goal and put in some nice through balls - the one to garcia was superb.
but we played away at arsenal there mate - and for the second half took them on at there own game and had them rattled. we are not the finished article by any means but by the mere fact we can take them on toe to toe instead of relying on high balls shows me how far rafa has taken them.
the arsenal fans aren`t used to other teams going at them like we did second half and notice the shouts of hoof dried up quickly.
rafa has had a lot on his plate but still has got us to two finals and just missed out on the cl. if that side we had out today would have played all season we`d be twenty points ahead of everton.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Sun May 08, 2005 7:17 pm

when you look at how we played second half, it makes you wonder what the bloody hell was going on in the first half. in the second half, arsenal were playing on the counter attack. however, first half we were so sloppy in possession it was untrue and arsenal's movement was just too much for us to handle. carragher slipping over in the build up to the second goal reminded me of the goal henry scored last year.

as for milan baros, you are the weakest link. goodbye.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby romliv » Sun May 08, 2005 7:24 pm

XSD wrote:We totally controlled the second half, our strikers are not good enough though.

so how can we conced a goal!!? :no  a lot of mistakes in defence   :(
when we don't have what we love, we must love what we have!
romliv

Postby Santa » Sun May 08, 2005 7:30 pm

romliv wrote:
XSD wrote:We totally controlled the second half, our strikers are not good enough though.

so how can we conced a goal!!? :no  a lot of mistakes in defence   :(

to be fair, Arsenal employed a lot of very mobile players to expose our weakest link in defence...PACE. If we don't shore up on this area, many weaker teams will know how to counter us next season. Arsenal play some simple short passes that have our players chasing shadows, again, our midfield was overran because they defended so high up. I also don't believe in playing with just one striker. Against an ageing Milan defence, we should let Cisse loose and perhaps that will also free up some space for Baros to run...    :help
Last edited by Santa on Sun May 08, 2005 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sun May 08, 2005 7:39 pm

Turned over by a top team today. Arsenal move the ball about as good as anyone and when they click they can be unstoppable. It was not today that 4th died, not many teams win at Highbury. Its been any number of shambolic away days over the season. You can afford the odd blip, but we slipped up so often and predictably that Everton could afford to be average and still hold on to the prize. Fair play to them, we have no excuses that hold up. Everton maintained their position despite the loss of Rooney and more importantly Gravesen who was a key player there. We cannot complain at a season where we reached a domestic and European Cup final but theres much work still to be done at Anfield. Despite so much great work in the cups, a cull is bound to happen to improve our league position next season.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby romliv » Sun May 08, 2005 7:41 pm

Santa wrote:. I also don't believe in playing with just one striker. Against an ageing Milan defence, we should let Cisse loose and perhaps that will also free up some space for Baros to run...    :help

i agree totally with you :)  but i don't think that benitez will play with two strikers because he would like to stabilize the team and the tactic and it's clear in the recent games and today vs Arsenal !
when we don't have what we love, we must love what we have!
romliv

Postby A.B. » Sun May 08, 2005 7:50 pm

Please think about what you're saying before you post. You ask how are we going to score against Milan. We put two goals past Juventus, who had the best defencive record in the entire competition so what are you raving on about.

We've scored a total of 15 goals in the Champions League, 15 goals in 12 games. So please don't talk about the CL and the league and compare the two, because they have nothing to do with each other. League form is irrevelant when it comes to games in CL.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby coolsobs » Sun May 08, 2005 8:49 pm

Cisse needs to wrok on his finishing, he is very good at creating chances for himself but then :censored: up when it comes to finishing. I know he is only coming back from fitness etc. but even before he got injured he wasnt good at finishing and judgment when it came to finishing
coolsobs

Postby zarababe » Sun May 08, 2005 9:08 pm

.. typical over reaction again ...  this place is truely a depressing place sometime.. :angry:
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Sun May 08, 2005 10:16 pm

We learned some important lessons in this game

1) A lot of players are not 100% fit yet because of their long injury spells

2) We do not have the players to play offensive football. We are just too easy to break down on the counter and our defence is terribly short on pace.

3) We lack skills on the ball in defence. Not only are we short on pace, but also passing skills and creativity is missing

4) Our wingers are not up to it. We need fresh blood on both flanks to mount a serious title bid.

5) Strikers low on confidence.

I think Benitez know all this. We have to go to istanbul and play more defensively. If we push forward Shevshenko will slaughter Hyypia and we will lose the game. We have to play a deep line with two defensive midfielders in front of the back 4. Than we must beat them with some good counters or a dead ball.

And for next season lets be honest. We have to get some defenders with pace and skills on the ball. This is 1st priority. Forget strikers, midfielders or wingers UNTIL we have sorted out our defence.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Sun May 08, 2005 11:01 pm

we completely bossed the second half of today's game. we went at them, gave them no space and had them rattled. the only things that stopped us winning were the massivley impressive senderos and the usual wayward finishing. i was left asking myself how we'd managed to leave it to the last 45 minutes of the (effective) season to look like we actually wanted 4th place. if we'd played like that against the likes of palace, soton, b'ham... we'd have blown them away.

so a bit more work on that tempo and aggression over the summer and a little shooting practice for cisse would be a good start. oh, and offer gerrard a tasty new contract.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Sun May 08, 2005 11:01 pm

Some good points there Banana.

After today's Jekyll and Hyde performance it's hard not to criticise the players for the ineffectiveness and easiness at which they were outplayed by Arsenal. The Second Half brought out a more productive and battling Liverpool side but by then it was all but lost.

We need the discipline required when the games 0-0 to earn the right to control the game and not wait until the games out of reach before starting to play. That said we HAVE learned to do that in Europe this season and i was encouraged by the Second half performance with all our "big" name players (Alonso, Gerard, Cisse, Garcia and even Kewell)  looking sharp.

As a footnote, congratulations to Everton on securing 4th position and a place in the CL next season. Whatever your personal feelings on the matter the table does not lie and they are there by rights....
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion