Vignal - Any future?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:58 pm

Liverpool defender Gregory Vignal admits he's unsure what the future holds for him but believes there will be no shortage of offers when his loan spell at Rangers ends. 
Brought to Anfield by Gerard Houllier in 1999, Vignal has failed to establish himself as a regular for the Reds and Rafael Benitez allowed him to join the Scottish giants on loan in the summer.

The 23-year old Frenchman is expected to stay at Ibrox until the end of the season but he's not sure where he'll be plying his trade beyond then.

"The situation is that a few people are trying to sign me but I don't know what Liverpool want to do so I will see what happens," he says.

"Everyone knows that Marseille have tried to sign me, but I am just thinking of winning the title with Rangers and then see after that.

"I need to know what's going on as soon as possible. Rangers haven't said anything to me about a move in January so I will see how it goes."

Vignal has also urged his former Anfield team-mate Stephane Henchoz to join him in Glasgow. Henchoz has been linked with a move to the Gers and Vignal would love to team up with him again.

He adds: "I hope he will come up here because he is a big player in the Premiership and has been an experienced player for Liverpool.

"He has won many trophies so he must be a good player and I hope he has more than a chat with Rangers - he would certainly be a great player at Ibrox."

..........................................................................................

looking back, i was always impressed by vignal and thought he had a lot of potential. obviously we now have riise, but to me, vignal will provide better backup than traore ever will in that position. would it be worth bringing him back at the end of the season or would it be more advisable to look for a new left back for cover?

thoughts?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Adebisi » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:12 pm

Don't think he's impressed the Rangers fans too much. Probably time for him to move on as I doubt he'd ever get into the team and I think he is on a reasonable wage for his club status
Adebisi

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:14 pm

Is he any good?
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:25 pm

His chances at Rangers will be deminished following the agreement with Everton to allow Bally to play again. I think Bally is a much better player, and I would pick him above Gregory any day.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:21 pm

Who knows with Vignal?

By all accounts, he had a reasonable season with Espanyol last year.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:42 pm

dont really see any reason why raffa would keep him, average player if you ask me and wouldnt really add anything to the side. Anyway if the manager wanted him i doubt he would have loaned him out
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:43 pm

chiggz_likes_owen wrote:Is he any good?

do you know anything about liverpool fc?
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:35 pm

Always rated him. Tenacious, good in the tackle, good marker, doesn't stupidly dive into tackles, wins headers, hard to get past, good technically, good passer, covers the centre halfs, links up well with others and has a good brain. The only area i think he really lacked was physically in terms of a yard of pace and good stamina.

I'd have him back at the snap of a finger.
115-1073096938

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:47 pm

hmmm, maybe he could take traore's place but he's played well this season. At the start of the season i would have said that vignal was deffo the better player but benitez has transformed traore into a decent squad player.

I just think that if benitez wanted vignal he would have kept him and sold/loaned traore. ???
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ronmeister » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:19 pm

Gotta agree with Stu on this one a good player with Loads of porential id take him back tomorrow
ronmeister

Postby Scottbot » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:21 pm

I was pretty impressed by Vignal a few seasons back when he looked like he might establish himself as a regular but injury cut him down and it seems very unlikely he will ever play in a red shirt again. I would have expected Espanyol to have put in a bid for him in the summer - The fact they didn't suggests he didn't set the world on fire over there. I figure he can't have all that long left on his contract. Is this the last year?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:15 pm

when he first came he had a decent run in the first team where he impressed, especially with his long passing and close control. then he got a minor injury and was out for a few weeks and when he came back he was awful, i mean awful.
you could hardly believe it was the same player.
houllier tried to let him play himself back into form but he was so rubbish after about five games he dropped him. his handfull of appearances after that were no better.
i`d rather he left the club, even when he was in form he wasn`t as good as riise imo. these are the houllier squad types we`ve got to start unloading.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby begbie » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:49 pm

Vignal formed quite a good partnership with Riise down the left for a few games before he broke his foot and that brought the end to that

i thought Rafa was told at the start of the season to get rid of Vignal by the board?

And am I remembering this right - wasnt Vignal brought on as a sub in a european game then substituted himself not long afterwards?!

And didnt Houiller say it was because he was too short or something like that (Well not exactly like that, I think it was that we were defending a lead and they were pumping long balls and Vignal is a short-******!)
begbie

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:57 pm

yeah, thats right he was brought off after coming on as sub because he was playing rubbish, houlliers excuse should be taken with a pinch of salt and stashed away with all the others........we used to chew the grass at metz etc, good memory you`ve got there begbie.
was it a broken foot he had? he must have been out longer than i remember.
when he came back he was truly ******.
sell him.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby mrcool2003 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:02 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Always rated him. Tenacious, good in the tackle, good marker, doesn't stupidly dive into tackles, wins headers, hard to get past, good technically, good passer, covers the centre halfs, links up well with others and has a good brain. The only area i think he really lacked was physically in terms of a yard of pace and good stamina.

I'd have him back at the snap of a finger.

stu u're having a laugh, another one of your rubbish comments

vignal? sorry not good enough, i've seen him enough times for rangers to know hes rubbish, end of story, dont want him here, if we started having players like him, we'll end up bein called blackpool instead of liverpool
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion