Us fans hurting our chances - Its gotta stop

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:54 am

Can i just say something here about this lad patronising buissness .

Where i come from the word lad is used as part of my language . i will call my son lad . or someone i dont even know lad. the same as i will be call girl.

EY ARE LAD.

THANKS GIRL
simple.
It doesnt matter how young or old you are its a word in my language and i dont think its patronising at all .
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:59 am

NANNY RED wrote:Can i just say something here about this lad patronising buissness .

Where i come from the word lad is used as part of my language . i will call my son lad . or someone i dont even know lad. the same as i will be call girl.

EY ARE LAD.

THANKS GIRL
simple.
It doesnt matter how young or old you are its a word in my language and i dont think its patronising at all .

True!
i guess some are just very easily offended! :laugh:
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:34 am

100% of those that bitch about stats are idiots, you're not even arguing with the stats, just bitching about the use of them because you don't like them

I like stats. Stats are used in computer science for instance to make health diagnostics and climate prediction. When you don't have a direct method or algorithm to solve something,and you use massive sample of data, you can use stats to make categories and clusters. Stats are a powerful math tool.

But when used with small samples of data, or ignoring lots of variables that are relevant to the matter it's been discussing, you reach to meaningless stats, such as the one you have written in the quote.

I challenge you to prove me on hindsight that Torres was a great idea for a signing with the numbers of goals of his career before Liverpool. I leave you to fiddle with those numbers, add the cup goals, the assists, whatever you want. I'll even let you counting the penalty goals and friendly goals. Your stats will tell you that Torres was not a world class player. And your stats would tell you that he'd never score this season the amount of goals he has achieved, and they'll tell you he might not be a good signing.

So if you take this exercise and you find that Torres wasn't a good signing looking at the stats of Atletico, then you have to raise some questions about your stats.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:41 pm

Sabre wrote:
100% of those that bitch about stats are idiots, you're not even arguing with the stats, just bitching about the use of them because you don't like them

I like stats. Stats are used in computer science for instance to make health diagnostics and climate prediction. When you don't have a direct method or algorithm to solve something,and you use massive sample of data, you can use stats to make categories and clusters. Stats are a powerful math tool.

But when used with small samples of data, or ignoring lots of variables that are relevant to the matter it's been discussing, you reach to meaningless stats, such as the one you have written in the quote.

I challenge you to prove me on hindsight that Torres was a great idea for a signing with the numbers of goals of his career before Liverpool. I leave you to fiddle with those numbers, add the cup goals, the assists, whatever you want. I'll even let you counting the penalty goals and friendly goals. Your stats will tell you that Torres was not a world class player. And your stats would tell you that he'd never score this season the amount of goals he has achieved, and they'll tell you he might not be a good signing.

So if you take this exercise and you find that Torres wasn't a good signing looking at the stats of Atletico, then you have to raise some questions about your stats.

that's a very good point...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:27 pm

NANNY RED wrote:Can i just say something here about this lad patronising buissness .

EY ARE LAD.

THANKS GIRL
simple.

Same here but I still hate it when people call me lad or worse kid.

I know some say its a term of endearment in Liverpool but to me it sounds very patronising.

Don't like it, never will.

Many conversations I point it out to the person if they call me lad or kid, annoys the hell out of me.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:56 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:

EY ARE LAD.

THANKS GIRL
simple.

I know some say its a term of endearment in Liverpool but to me it sounds very patronising.

Many conversations I point it out to the person if they call me lad or kid, annoys the hell out of me.

"lad" said in a certain way, can be annoying.

Whenever it's used on here I take it as to annoy the person
it's referring to.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:57 pm

Sabre wrote:

It seems everyone is getting on Owzat's back about his stats.

His posts are the ones I take time to read.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:59 pm

Cant believe this thread has lasted this long, after such a diabolical opening post.
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:42 pm

Effes wrote:Cant believe this thread has lasted this long, after such a diabolical opening post.

If you didnt like my thread then dont read or post on it but it was a debatable topic writing a reply just about the fact you didnt like the start of it is fine tho i think its a waste of a post.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:11 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:

EY ARE LAD.

THANKS GIRL
simple.

Ok then son :laugh: yeh years younger than me so i can call you that with out offending you :laugh:

I dunno i cant help it calling someone lad or girl or  even queen i think ive used the term for so long hard habit to break.

Ill try an be posh now though gents :laugh:
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:16 pm

NANNY RED wrote:
Rafa-Dodd wrote:

EY ARE LAD.

THANKS GIRL
simple.

Ok then son :laugh: yeh years younger than me so i can call you that with out offending you :laugh:

I dunno i cant help it calling someone lad or girl or  even queen i think ive used the term for so long hard habit to break.

Na be your self nan you dont offend me and you shouldn't have to change some thing you done all your life just because it upsets 1 or 2 people.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:24 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:

EY ARE LAD.

THANKS GIRL
simple.

Alrite lad. :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:25 pm

It seems everyone is getting on Owzat's back about his stats.

His posts are the ones I take time to read.

No, I haven't jump on Owzat's back. I have jumped on his stat's truth, replying a quote. The point is simple, stats sometimes give useful info, and sometimes they're misleading.

"Personally" I don't have problems with Owzat as a poster. If my post sounded as an attack to him, then apologises.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:47 pm

NANNY RED wrote:
Rafa-Dodd wrote:

EY ARE LAD.

THANKS GIRL
simple.

I know same here girl  :D, thing is though i never said a bad word to him or his feckin stats yet i get all that sh!t and get told i should be supporting the bitters because their expectations match mine, WTF, and he doesnt even come back to explain. Well ive a bad word for him now, lets start with T!T. :D
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:31 pm

The only stats i look at is what i see myself at the match by the performance on the pitch. Sorry if i upset you Owzat in saying this but im not up on all this statician an graph malarky thing i judge what i see myself in players performance wether therve had a :censored: game or not
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion