The un-sung heroes - Which players dont get the credit

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Liverpool_In_My_Blood » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:52 pm

Sami is brilliant, no denying that and Sami has never had pace. If someone did him for pace he has always had someone to cover him. Henchoz in the earlier days and now Carra. So his lack of pace is a useless argument.
people say laughing is the best remody for illness and that is why Evertonians never get sick
Liverpool_In_My_Blood

Postby thegreenred » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:13 pm

For me i go back to the early 70s CORMACK, LINDSAY, HALL, CASE, 80S LEE, WHELAN but id like to ask what is a unsung hero because if you listen to the so called experts on sky and the BBC they constantly bang on about how beckham and lampard are the saviours of english football dose this mean that gerrard is a unsung hero.
thegreenred

Postby Billy_5_Times » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:51 pm

I don't think enough people give Steve Highway credit. He brought through: Gerrard, Owen, Carragher and now the likes of Anderson, Hobbs, Linfield, Darby and Therlfall.
"I'd kick my own brother if necessary, that's what football is about" Steve McMahon
Billy_5_Times

Postby tommycockles » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:00 pm

Billy_5_Times wrote:I don't think enough people give Steve Highway credit. He brought through: Gerrard, Owen, Carragher and now the likes of Anderson, Hobbs, Linfield, Darby and Therlfall.

i understand what you're trying to say- but Benitez bought Anderson and Hobbs.
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby Billy_5_Times » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:19 am

tommycockles wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:I don't think enough people give Steve Highway credit. He brought through: Gerrard, Owen, Carragher and now the likes of Anderson, Hobbs, Linfield, Darby and Therlfall.

Benitez was told who to buy by Paco H, thanks for that Bad Bob  :D .
"I'd kick my own brother if necessary, that's what football is about" Steve McMahon
Billy_5_Times

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:22 am

Billy_5_Times wrote:
tommycockles wrote:

And no doubt they were spotted by Paco getting leathered down the local, eh, Billy?

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Billy_5_Times » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:24 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:
tommycockles wrote:

And no doubt they were spotted by Paco getting leathered down the local, eh, Billy?

No Paco is the type of man who would go out for an Indian rather than get smashed in some pub.
Billy_5_Times

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:53 am

Billy_5_Times wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:
tommycockles wrote:

No Paco is the type of man who would go out for an Indian rather than get smashed in some pub.

Oh right.

I take it he'd get potted, then start recruiting the waiters, then?

You really do talk out of your a*se.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:01 pm

Steve Heighway is one of the greatest men ever to be associated with Liverpool football club. He came to Liverpool from Skem and made his debut as a sub against Chelsea. He took the game by storm, becoming the star player in a team that was slowly rebuilding.  he scored in 2 FA cup finals and was a major player in one of our most successful teams. When Keegan came along and took the mantle of star player away from him he quietly continued to give his all to the club.
           When he was seriously injured and his blistering pace was reduced to that of mere mortals, he adapted his game and became one of the most intelligent passers as well as a great winger. His pass to McDermott for the opening goal against BMGladbach in the EC final is a good example.
          He came back to Liverpool and has since been instrumental in the development of many of our best players.
Wikipedia on Steve Heighway

Stephen Derek Heighway (born Dublin, November 25, 1947) was a cultured footballer in the hugely successful Liverpool team of the 1970s.

Heighway's early promise as a winger was not spotted by professional clubs as he reached his adolescence and therefore, as a bright lad, he concentrated on his studies and played in the non-league game while completing a degree in economics.

In 1970, Heighway was studying for his final exams and playing for Skelmersdale United when he was spotted by Liverpool's scouting system. With manager Bill Shankly keen to rebuild his ageing, underachieving team of the 1960s completely, Heighway was signed up swiftly.

A strong and pacey left winger with two good feet, Heighway settled into top flight football with some ease after making his debut in October 1970. A month later, he scored against fierce Merseyside rivals Everton in a hard-fought 2-2 draw, and stayed in the side for the rest of the season as Liverpool's new charges finished the League campaign strongly and defeated Everton in the semi-finals of the FA Cup to reach the final at Wembley.

Their opponents were Arsenal, who were after a coveted "double" having won the League championship. Heighway played confidently in a match which was goalless after 90 minutes, and therefore needed a period of extra-time.

Just two minutes into the added half-hour, Heighway received the ball wide on his left flank from substitute Peter Thompson (ironically, the man whose place Heighway had ultimately taken) and started a run towards the Arsenal penalty area, with full back Pat Rice tracking his run but unwilling to put in a tackle.

With a swift turn outside Heighway gained a yard on Rice and hit a low drive into the net past Arsenal goalkeeper Bob Wilson who had committed the cardinal goalkeeping sin of coming out too far from his near post to anticipate a cross, thereby leaving a gap. Heighway exploited this gap and Liverpool were ahead. It was notable that despite the joy of the moment, Heighway could barely move to celebrate due to the extreme heat and fatigue and just decided to raise his arms in triumph from a standing position while his team-mates came to congratulate him.

Sadly for Heighway and Liverpool, their opponents scored two goals in response and won their "double". However, the goal scored by Heighway has (to Wilson's embarrassment) become one of the most shown goals to young goalkeepers as an example of what can go wrong if the keeper's positioning is not correct.

Heighway settled into the Liverpool team for the next decade, winning his first of four League titles in 1973, along with the UEFA Cup. He returned to Wembley for another FA Cup final a year later as Liverpool faced Newcastle United.

This time Liverpool were not troubled. Heighway scored again with 16 minutes of the game remaining to make it 2-0, latching on to a flick from John Toshack after a long clearance from goalkeeper Ray Clemence to slot a right footed shot into the far corner. The game ended 3-0.

By now, Heighway was a regular for the Republic of Ireland side and was so for the whole of the 1970s, winning a total of 34 caps. With Liverpool, he attained another League and UEFA Cup double in 1976 and then formed part of the side which came so close to the glorious "treble" of League, FA Cup and European Cup.

Liverpool won the League by single point, and again defeated rivals Everton to reach the FA Cup final, this time to face Manchester United at Wembley. With a European Cup final due in Rome four days later, Heighway and his team-mates had a great chance to make footballing history.

It never happened. Liverpool lost 2-1 at Wembley and the "treble" dream was dead. However, they went on to beat Borussia Monchengladbach 3-1 to clinch their first European Cup, with Heighway setting up both of Liverpool's outfield goals for Terry McDermott and Tommy Smith. The third was a penalty from Phil Neal.

In 1978 Heighway was on the bench as Liverpool retained the European Cup with victory over FC Bruges, coming on as a substitute for Jimmy Case. The following year he was again in the side frequently as Liverpool won another League title, but from 1980 onwards his opportunities in the side diminished.

Heighway stayed for two more seasons, appearing only occasionally in the team and missing out on two more League title medals, another European Cup triumph and a first League Cup, which was then successfully defended a year later. He left Anfield in 1982 after 444 matches and 76 goals.

He decided to ply his trade in the USA with Minnesota Kicks, but the North American Soccer League (NASL) folded soon after. Heighway then joined the coaching staff of Umbro, which led to a position at the Clearwater Chargers Youth Soccer Club where he pioneered the role of Director of Coaching in the United States. Steve continued his successes with the Chargers, and in 1989 was asked to rejoin Liverpool to run their youth academy, bringing promising youngsters up through the system until they were ready for the professional game. Among Heighway's successes are Steve McManaman, Robbie Fowler, Steven Gerrard and Michael Owen. He remains in this role today.

[edit]
Honours
1972/73 Football League First Division
1972/73 UEFA Cup
1973/74 FA Cup
1974/75 Charity Shield
1975/76 Football League First Division
1975/76 UEFA Cup
1976/77 Charity Shield
1976/77 Football League First Division
1976/77 European Cup
1977/78 European Cup
1977/78 European Super Cup
1978/79 Football League First Division
1979/80 Charity Shield
1979/80 Football League First Division
1980/81 European Cup
1980/81 League Cup
Not a bad record!
The 2 - 2 entry against Everton is inaccurate - it was actually 3-2  Heighway,Toshack,Lawler scored.
I personally have never read or heard any Liverpool player speak of Heighway without giving unstinting praise for the work hes done and the type of man he is.
           I also seem to remember he was offered the job of Liverpool manager, but turned it down because he enjoyed working with and developing the youth of our great club. Jamie Rednapp said of Stevie Gerrard - Houllier always claimed he found Stevie, but there is only one man responsible for Stevie's development Steve Heighway. Heighway held Stevie back to enable him to develop physically, and then pushed Houllier hard to take him into the first team squad. Stevie was growing so fast he had stretch marks.

Stevie Heighway - A TRUE UNSUNG HERO
account deleted by request

Postby Billy_5_Times » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:34 pm

Thanks for the info on Heighway, Saint.
Billy_5_Times

Postby LIVERPOOL_FC_YNWA » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:10 am

For me its got to be Steve Finnan solid as a rock scored the one goal  (infront of the kop tho)  very unsung but also think Stephane Henchoz got it the worse, how hard was it to make a song for him....Keep it goin Finnan
THE RAFALUTION HAS BEGUN...........

YNWA-JUSTICE FOR THE 96
LIVERPOOL_FC_YNWA

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion