The return of danny murphy - Give him a good reception

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:58 pm

As he prepares to make his first return to Anfield, I hope Danny Murphy is enjoying the camaraderie at Charlton. That’s because the players need to be able to entertain each other on the way home given their results on the road so far. I was initially a little surprised that he was sold there for such a low price, but I’m fully behind Rafael Benitez’s decision to sell him even though we are sometimes looking for creativity in midfield. If dressing room camaraderie is his main motivation then he obviously doesn’t share Benitez’s winning mentality.

Danny was never going to be in the first choice starting eleven, but he could have remained a useful squad player in an era which I genuinely believe will win us a few titles. However we need to bring some foreign players in to do that as the English players just aren’t good enough. The fact that Gary Neville, Emile Heskey and Darius Vassell are England regulars is proof of that. If Danny has left Anfield because the foreign players who come in won’t be such a laugh in the dressing room then he is less a player than I thought he was.

Notwithstanding the fact that some foreign players may like having fun (Bernard Diomede is well missed by several Liverpool nightspots) the English players he laments the selling of went of their own accord or were simply ******. Steve McManaman went on a Bosman despite us wanting to keep him and Robbie Fowler spent three years coasting along on what he had done. He has hardly been a success since and getting £13 million for him was one of Gerard Houllier’s best bits of transfer business.

Danny spoke of seeking a “different challenge” but for that I now read “cop out”. He just wants to plod along at a run of the mill club and enjoy a few nights out instead of fight to be a winner. In Francis Jeffers, who spent much of his time with Arsenal drinking in Slater Street instead of playing at Highbury he’ll find an immediate soul mate. Benitez was right to get rid.

I know he made some somewhat bitter remarks towards the new liverpool regime a few weeks back which was a case of him spitting his dummy out in all honesty. However I hope he doesn't get booed by any fans on Saturday. He did score three winning goals against the sh#te after all. Lets just hope he has a stinker.
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:01 pm

Agree St M but really hope he doesnt get booed he doesnt deserve that. He didnt leave under a cloud and wanted to stay.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:17 pm

I hope he doesnt get booed though he hasnt helped his cause with some of his recent public comments about the Pool
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:36 pm

Danny ruined any hopes he had of a hero's welcome with the tosh he has come out with in the press.

However did anyone see his interview after the game on Sunday? A slip of the tounge may well have let us into quite a secret......
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:37 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:However did anyone see his interview after the game on Sunday? A slip of the tounge may well have let us into quite a secret......

explain leon? ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby gabbyh » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:41 pm

Danny Murphy needed  the odd Talent Pill, when playing for Liverpool. That is.. his form was bloody irregular!!
If Danny Murphy was the pinnacle of the the talent at Liverpool... God help us.
gabbyh

Postby Paul C » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:01 pm

stmichael wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:However did anyone see his interview after the game on Sunday? A slip of the tounge may well have let us into quite a secret......

explain leon? ???

I didn't see it either, what did he say Leon?  ???
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:25 pm

I never liked Murphy for the simple reason that he was a poor footballer. I do not know why he should receive a warm welcome. He was a fringe player, hardly the fans favourite, and since his departure he har been dizzin the club in the media whenever possible. We are going to crush Charlton this weekend and if our lads could smack up Murphy just a bit, I take that as a bonus.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:28 pm

when i said give him a good reception i was really just calling for the boo boys to lay off the guy. it must have been bad enough for him being booed by some of his own supporters when playing for us.

i wish the lad well, but alonso is going to make mincemeat of him on saturday. :p
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby parchpea » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:07 pm

I think he could have dealt with his departure better but he was bitterly dissapointed. Unfortunately he let his dissapointment spill over into anger and said a few things he maybe shouldnt. It just came over as sour grapes. I think his reception may be mixed now, which is a shame.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:09 pm

He slipped up when asked a question about Liverpool.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:12 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:He slipped up when asked a question about Liverpool.

Are you going to enlighten us or is it a secret
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:19 pm

I dont remember the exact transcript, but it went something like this:

Interviewer "Any way Danny, how do you think Liverpool are getting on, it was a good result for them yesterday?"

D. Murphy" Yes they are playing some good stuff, and the new lads have looked really good, specially that Alonso. When they sign the two new lads in the window...." Murphy then gestured to put his hand over his mouth, stopping mid sentence as though he had let out a bit too much info.

Interviewer "Care to elaborate on that one Danny?"

Murphy, (walking away) "Thanks for that guys, bye now"
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:40 pm

i always thought Danny Murphy was nearly a great player.  A lot of his passes just got intercepted, and a lot of his shots nearly went in... He just wasn't quite good enough..

Doesn't deserve to get booed, I don't think any ex players should be
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Boocity » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:40 pm

Good stuff, now the speculation starts. Who are the two
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion