Is danny murphy leaving?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:37 am

dunno, the offer has only be made, deal might not be finalised for a week or so, after GAk match, may be danny's last match?
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:37 am

LFC #1 wrote:Defo need new midfielders if Murphy goes, I am wondering laso with 3 Rb's whether Beni is considering playing Finnan on the Right side of midfield.

The same site is reporting that Finnan is not wanted by Rafa and could be off to Blackburn within 48hrs for £2mill.  :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby fivecups » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:42 am

BBC - Murphy set for Spurs move

Liverpool have accepted a bid from Tottenham for Danny Murphy.
Spurs have offered in the region of £3m for the services of the 27-year-old England international.

Liverpool head of press Ian Cotton said: "I can confirm that Liverpool have accepted an offer from Tottenham Hotspur for Danny Murphy."

Everton and Charlton were also believed to be interested in Murphy, who arrived at Anfield from Crewe in 1997 and made his England debut in 2001.

I'm surprised Danny Murphy has gone. He was our player of the season 2 years ago. He had a poor season last year but was injured initially - and everyone barr Stevie played poorly last year. He works hard and I think he still had plenty to offer the club, there was no doubting his commitment.

Cue a hell of a lot of speculation about who are midfield purchases are going to be.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:50 am

I'm in a bit of shock really.  I thought, I really thought this was all bullsh*t.  I like Danny Murphy, he works hard and is committed.  Why did they take him to the States if he was going to be sold shortly after coming back?  What was the point of taking him, who is going to replace him and more importantly can Cisse beat the Mancs for us instead of Murphy?
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby barnesrush » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:12 am

quite gutted but ill wait to see who rafa brings in cos now we definately need more midfielders
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby azriahmad » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:17 am

I agree that Murphy is a hardworking player but perhaps he had also not shown much improvement since 2002-2003 and he himself may need a new challenge apart from us needing a new midfielder who can pass better and is also quicker.

If he does go, I wish him all the best and thank him for his contributions especially his goals which helped us beat manure.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:31 am

Well the Bids been excepted, Around 2.5m i believe. :(
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:40 am

I'd be surprised if he ends up at Spurs to be honest - they'd really have to go some on the negotiations front to make him want to move to London. Fair enough he's leaving, but from what I understand he's very settled up north.
ivor_the_injun

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:40 am

Tottenham £3 million has been accepted.
jonnymac1979

Postby lakes10 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:48 am

Liverpool have accepted a bid from Tottenham for Danny Murphy.
Spurs have offered in the region of £3m for the services of the 27-year-old England international.

Liverpool head of press Ian Cotton said: "I can confirm that Liverpool have accepted an offer from Tottenham Hotspur for Danny Murphy."
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:50 am

I don't mind they are to sell Murphy despite his massive contribution to our club (again, he was a midfield 2nd top-scorer in the last EPL and the first midfield top-scorer in the previous season, not to mention he scored some vital goals). I only feel a bit bothered as it happens at situation where we cry for more quality players, particularly additional midfielders. Murphy existence is defo much more better than without him and without some new midfielders to come as well (but hopefully there will be some). But i just try to trust in the new manager. ???
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:59 am

Anfieldadorer, have some faith in Benny to find quality replacements.

Benny has his own ideas on how he wants his team to play and he will try to strengthen his squad with the necessary additions. At least he knows how to win the league championship, on 2 occassions, and his team did outplay us a couple of times and to play this effective style, we need more speed as well as good passing from the midfield.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:03 pm

I hope I did not sound like I am slagging you off, anfieldadorer.

Just asking you to have more faith in Benny to get his team right.

After all, we did give Houllier our full backing to get rid of the spice boys era and try his best to improve Liverpool.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:06 pm

Well, maybe Rafa told Murphy he is not in his future plan and thus Murphy had explored other options. Its best to move on but I think he is really a competitor and sad to see him go....???
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby anfieldadorer » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:23 pm

azriahmad wrote:I hope I did not sound like I am slagging you off, anfieldadorer.

Just asking you to have more faith in Benny to get his team right.

After all, we did give Houllier our full backing to get rid of the spice boys era and try his best to improve Liverpool.

that's okay azri, i know you're not a kind of person who has some fun in slagging off other posters. Your point is taken.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion