Is danny murphy leaving?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Starbridge42 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:45 pm

I think we'll probably be linked with a host of midfielders quite soon as speculation will build up about us actually signing a midfielder instead of just selling them or loaning them out.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby whylongball? » Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:28 pm

can't wait like this...who would be the replacements?? ???  ???
whylongball?

Postby azriahmad » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:11 pm

I like Rafa's style. He just goes about his job in a workmanlike fashion. No "hoo haas", no loud publicity. He gets his man/men with the minimum of fuss.

Get us some good midfielders, we are totally behind you, Rafa!
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ICE-MAN » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:21 pm

he just goes about his work and hgets his man, houllier got cisse, so rafa only brought in one player josemi who hardly has the rest of the premiership shaking at the thought of playing us! its brilliant that we have new manager and backroom staff and new tactics etc but the team is now weaker than it was when we finished the season, il admit i wanted rid of heskey cheyrou babbel vignal murphy and diouf but only if we replaced them with quality, so far we've brought in an unknown right back who imo we dont need, the bottom line imo is that theres no transfer funds available at all to rafa even though we got into the champs league! :(
ICE-MAN

Postby ROBtheRED » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:50 pm

Quite shocked to hear about this Murphy transfer to be honest - I don't think Danny is a first choice player but he is a valuable squad member. . .he gives us versatility as he can play right, left or in the centre of midfield and is handy with set pieces and penalties! Another factor is he is a Liverpool fan and a local lad which goes against the quote from Benitez when he indicated that he wanted to keep an English heart throughout the team. Also i think £3million is undervaluing him, he's played for England and is not to my knowledge looking for a transfer so i would of thought £5-£6million would be more realistic, if Heskey is worth £6m then Murphy's got to be close!? 
However i'm not undermining the decision if he wants to move on for first team football and to enhance his international aspirations then good luck to him. I also trust Benitez is confident that he has targets to replace him, after all it would leave our midfield threadbare especially with Smicer out for 6 months, Diouf being out the picture and Le Tallec and Cheyrou going out on loan, we desperately need midfield cover. It would leave us without any natural right-sided player. Shaun Wright-Phillips would be a great signing if we can get him, his pace and eye for goal would be much needed. I imagine Rafa would have his sights on foreign players aswell so my fingers are crossed we can get some quality in to replace Murphy if he leaves.
"The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the kop make you feel great. . .yet humble."   Mr B.Shankly
ROBtheRED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion