The problems clear...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kazza » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:29 am

bigmick wrote:
banana wrote:We must attack with 11 men and defend with 11.

I'm all for defending with 11, but attacking with anymore than 10 is a little too gung-ho for my liking.

:laugh:
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:50 am

We should realise that sometimes it's better to pass back the ball to Alonso, and try through the other wing of the pitch, rather than trying a difficult one on one, or a difficult combination with the striker.

There's no need to hurry, and once we move the ball properly that way, we'd realise that the opposition is deep enough in order men like Finnan sum the attack. And our strikers might increase the chances of receiving crosses like the one Etoo received against Shítski. I think that we have skill and capabilities to make more passes in each possesion, and we're not doing it.

Despite some mistakes that every team has, defensively we have no problems, we're one of the best defences in Europe, if not the best. Not talking only about Hyppia-Carra, but the whole defensive team work, including the strikers. BTW, one of the reasons for not criticising Kewell, is that I reckon he does a decent and grateful defensive work for the team. Many skillful wingers like him, do not bother, or do not know doing that.

I also think it's a shame Rafa's been accused of being defensive, when half Europe thinks that playing two forwards is quite attacking approach. The manager that likes to talk much about us, played DEEEEEEEEEP before the red card, if anyone didn't notice. Bástard.
Last edited by Sabre on Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:18 pm

I definitely agree that we are not creating many good chances for our strikers and I don’t really know why. Maybe we aren’t moving the ball on quickly enough, maybe are movement hasn’t been good enough.

My personal feeling is that opposition teams know that by stopping Kewell and Gerrard on the left and right, they will stop us creating chances. The central midfielders sit deep in this formation and try to release the wingers and the strikers. Our strikers are simply not good enough to create chances for themselves, they are pretty useless without good supply, you couldn’t really call any of them “dynamic” or creative.

Gerrard and Kewell are the 2 players that have the capability of creating chances, thats why they are playing in attacking roles and have been given the freedom to roam. Teams are identifying these 2 as the key, when they are stopped, so are we. I can’t see a good way of remedying this without bringing in new players.

Maybe the best solution for now is to play Garcia off Crouch. For all the bashing many have given him(including me), he does offer that ‘unpredictable’ quality that we seem to be missing in an around the box.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:40 pm

all i'll say is it's a bloody good job that kewell has found some form again recently, otherwise we'd be creating even fewer chances. it's simple really as stu says. what do manure and chelsea have over us? out and out width with proper old fashioned wingers who get in behind defences. we rarely get in behind anyone, especially down the right hand side, as gerrard usually prefers to whip the ball in early rather than go past his man most of the time.

i'll give you a perfect example. when chelsea beat us 4-1 at anfield, 3 of their 4 goals came from cut backs from the bye-line, twice from drogba and once from robben. our defence was constantly turning and we couldn't handle it on the day.

it's also why arsenal are struggling nowadays. they just pass the ball across the pitch infront of teams and consequently get nowhere.

joaquin would be a dream signing to take us onto the next level but unfortunately i just can't see it happening. :(
Last edited by stmichael on Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:49 am

Rafael Benitez believes a major factor behind the team's lacklusture showing in Benfica was the lack of service from wide areas to the strikers, and has told his players that this has to improve starting with the Manchester City game. 
The Liverpool manager has spoken to the players concerned about the need for better crosses for the strikers, and is confident that this will improve sooner rather than later.

"We didn't play well or to our level against Benfica," admitted Benitez. "I can take something positive from the fact we didn't play well, but we only conceded one goal from a free-kick.

"When you play a team as aggressive and with as many players in the middle as Benfica, you need to use the wide areas. We didn't play well there, that was the problem, especially for the strikers.

"If you don't cross properly the strikers can not head or kick the ball. I'm sure there will be a big improvement in tomorrow's game. Playing at Anfield will be totally different.

"We spoke to most of the players and some individuals about the mistakes we made the other day. They are disappointed and want to play as well as possible against Manchester City.

"You need to analyse how players work and how they play. They worked hard, but they didn't play well. For me the most important thing is whether they tried hard or not. They tried hard, but they know they need to improve.

"We are thinking about the next three points now. If we want to be in the top two we need to pick up as many points as we can."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N151583060226-0855.htm

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:53 am

Liverpool legend John Aldridge has called on the Reds strikers to take the initiative, and start making things happen in front of goal to take the pressure off the defence and midfield. 
The former goals maestro admitted he had sympathy for the strikers in Benfica because of the lack of service they had, but feels they could do a lot more in front of goal.

"I feel sorry to a certain extent for the forwards as they were was no faulting the workrate of Robbie Fowler and Fernando Morientes in Lisbon, but they were starved of service," admitted Aldridge.

"As a forward, though, I was always told to make things happen rather than wait for things to happen.

"You have got to go out and create your own luck, so now is the not the time for the strikers to go into their shells.

"There is a lot to be positive about at present but the defence and midfield can't keep winning games on their own.

"They did it at Wigan, against Arsenal and again when Manchester United came to Anfield. The strikers need to pay them back big time. What better place to start than against Manchester City.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N151587060226-0854.htm
Last edited by Cool Hand Luke on Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion