The norwich game in the bag - Now for the cl in midweek

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:43 pm

I was not aware that the Greeks had two Brazilians who used to play for Barca up front, but apparently Rafa has their card marked:

Rafael Benitez accepts he must plan to stop a Brazilian double act if Liverpool are to emerge unscathed from their European examination in Greece.

The new Anfield chief, having already masterminded an outstanding victory over Monaco, last season's Champions League runners-up, in their opening Group A match, faces a daunting task on Tuesday against Olympiakos.

Benitez is without inspirational skipper Steven Gerrard and must contain Olympiakos' impressive Brazilian strike force of former FIFA World Player of the Year Rivaldo and Giovanni.

Both players are well known to Benitez - the former Valencia chief - from their spells with Barcelona, and are more than capable of causing huge problems in Olympiakos' new Georgios Karaiskakis stadium, the club now back in their home city of Piraeus, Athens' port.

Benitez said: "In Rivaldo and Giovanni they have two very good Brazilian players, so a lot of their football is played on the floor.

"They usually play short passes, and are a good side and we will need to play well over there on Tuesday night."

He added: "They have good technical players and they will try to control the game and keep the ball.

"We will need to put together good counter-attacks, hopefully with more effectiveness than in our last away game at Manchester United."

One thing Liverpool will need in Greece, a country still buoyant because of their Euro 2004 success, are leaders.

Without Gerrard, who is at the beginning of an eight-week absence because of a foot injury, this game is far more difficult than first anticipated.

Olympiakos were considered the weakest team in Group A, they had a poor season last term by their own standards, losing their title and the domestic cup to bitter rivals Panathinaikos - whose ground they used to share while their new stadium was being built, and where Liverpool achieved a creditable 2-2 draw against them in the run to winning the UEFA Cup four years ago.

But the Greek triumph in Portugal, where Olympiakos' veteran goalkeeper Antonios Nikopolidis was a real star, has made the whole nation more confident and Liverpool could feel the backlash.

Benitez will need players to step into the gap left by Gerrard, and he believes in Dietmar Hamann and Xabi Alonso, he has two for one who can do the job.

He said: "Hamann came on and did very well against Manchester United when Steven Gerrard was injured and is a very experienced international.

"Alonso may still be young, but he has established himself with Spain now and can also be a real leader. The two of them together can make up for Gerrard's absence."

Olympiakos started their Champions League campaign with a draw away to Deportivo La Coruna, and Benitez has studied the video of that match for Greek weaknesses.

He said: "I have seen the video of their last match and they are very good players, they will be a tough proposition for us, I have no doubt about that."

Benitez has also backed underachieving new striker Djibril Cisse to come good, after struggling for goals since his arrival from Auxerre for £14million in the summer.

Benitez has gone to the trouble to acquire a video of all 26 goals that Cisse scored in France last season to study his best attributes to speed up his transition into English football.

He said: "The forwards want to score more goals, and that includes Cisse, but when you see them in training that are doing well. But sometimes our final pass goes wrong and that doesn't help the strikers. But sometimes their movement is not good."
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:58 pm

if i am not wrong both Rivaldo and Giovanni have a combined age of 66 or something like that. They are not really at their peak although they (esp rivaldo) can cause us a some problems.

Our defence is looking better as the games progress (not withstanding defending set pieces). We should be able to beat them, but a draw would not be a bad result too.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:11 pm

Don't underestimate Ronaldo and Giovanni, they are good players no matter how old they are. The Greeks have boosted their ego's and confidence after winning the Euro, it should be a good game.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby murphy0151 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:55 pm

A.B. wrote:Don't underestimate Ronaldo and Giovanni, they are good players no matter how old they are. The Greeks have boosted their ego's and confidence after winning the Euro, it should be a good game.

Its a good job where not playing against Ronaldo then in it norbit.
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby Starbridge42 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:58 pm

Yeah, you know I can't recall Ronaldo ever playing for them, its strange... :p
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby fivecups » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:06 pm

Rivaldo's too old and he's a money man. I dont think we'll see the Rivaldo of old.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:17 pm

Age proves very little, just look at Maldini!
Anyway, Rivaldo is still a very technically gifted player, I've gone scrounging around and managed to find a TV station that shows greek league matches and Rivaldo has looked very good in the match I've seen, I think he could be a really potent threat.  Of course he doesn't have a lot of pace but he showed his trickery and his deft control.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby fivecups » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:23 pm

Except Maldini's a defender. Haven't seen him play in Greece but sometimes he seems disinterested.

But theres no doubting his quality, and if he's up for the match he could be dangerous. Lets hope he's not.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:36 am

opps wrong thread
Last edited by the great one on Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:50 pm

murphy0151 wrote:
A.B. wrote:Don't underestimate Ronaldo and Giovanni, they are good players no matter how old they are. The Greeks have boosted their ego's and confidence after winning the Euro, it should be a good game.

Its a good job where not playing against Ronaldo then in it norbit.

PRICELESS. :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:35 pm

dunno wouldn't underestimate them anything can happen. Is gonna be tough i just hope for a win
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion