The final - If we do, the reserves?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby taff » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:21 pm

I would love to see the reserves in the final but agree with Woof and the realism

Still getting to the semis and Henchoz scoring for the first time in 9 years what a great night a truly great night

As much as I bekieve in realism etc I just cant help the feeling that we are on the start of something special
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:27 pm

Well said Taff.
Despite all our lows , the loss of Owen , the injuries sustained etc, our squad at all levels is pullin' together and getting well and truly stuck in .
:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby BringBackTiti » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:31 pm

I still think he will play most of the youngsters an the older players such as henchoz biscan and salif, i can see what you all mean about bringing stevie and that back in but they havent played in the comp i think he will give it to the players who got us there its only fair.
''I talk about the table. We need a leg, so I have bought a leg.'' Rafa Benitez
BringBackTiti
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:48 pm

BringBackTiti wrote:I still think he will play most of the youngsters an the older players such as henchoz biscan and salif, i can see what you all mean about bringing stevie and that back in but they havent played in the comp i think he will give it to the players who got us there its only fair.

maybe henchoz and salif will be gone by then? ???
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gabbyh » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:53 pm

Rafa will play as strong a team as he can, whether it will be youth or seniors. He will judge on the players we have fit at the time. Also it will be his first stab at a cup, even if it is the Mickey Mouse Cup and it will make sure we are definitely in Europe next season. He will go for the cup cos winning it can only boost the morale of his squad and it will definitely make sure they believ he means business.
gabbyh

Postby BringBackTiti » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:57 pm

fair point about diao and henchoz, i agree about that but i think it will be the strongest reserve team if you get me
BringBackTiti
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BringBackTiti » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:57 pm

fair point about diao and henchoz, i agree about that but i think it will be the strongest reserve team if you get me
BringBackTiti
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1093441336 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:55 pm

I doubt Man u's reserves can beat CHelsea but i would love to watch a final between Fergie's Fallen stars v Beni's Bambinos.
Hola Fergie Puta
109-1093441336

Postby JBG » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:44 pm

I think we'll see a mixture of youth/bit part players with a few big names in the semi finals and a full strength side in the final (if we get there!).

Gerrard wanted to play against Spurs, and there's no way him, Hyppia, Baros, Riise, Hamman etc will tolerate having Raven, Welsh, Warnock et al playing ahead of them.

Plus, if the club get to the final, Moores will insist that sentiment be abandoned and we try to win the thing, after all, its still a trophy and were we to win it (it still is going to be tough), Moores will have a weapon of propaganda against his critics.

You can rest assured that Chelsea or Man UTD will field very close to full strength sides in the final.

BTW, we've had a similar problem before, where Pegguy Aphrexhad played the whole League Cup campaign in 2001 but was replaced by Westerveld in the final.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby XSD » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:24 am

Someone asked a good question before.
What kind of money does the Carling Cup produce, mainly being in the final or winning it?
Is it worth mentioning?
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:44 am

XSD wrote:Moores and Parry will ask for a full strength side. Carling cup or not no one goes to Cardiff to play in the final with their reserve side. I think now we have got this far we may as well try to win it.

Cast your mind back a couple of seasons when we played Man U in the Worthington Cup Final . Both teams fielded full strength sides .....even Fergie who considers beating Liverpool a priority fielded his strongest 11 ...........

Playing weakened sides in the qualifiers of this competition is all well and good but surely the FA would step in if the final was contested between two teams fielding fringe and young players.....

Won't happen , Raffa should and will field his strongest possible team
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:46 am

IF we get to the final you can bet we'll have a full side, and Chelsea or Man UTD will do the same.

It is possible that perhaps one big name will be left on the bench (Alonso?) bearing in mind our fixture list at the time, but when the two teams walk out onto the pitch very few of them and their respective management teams will be thinking "This is a Mickey Mouse Trophy".
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dalglish » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:55 am

Agree JBG, I seem to remember in the 2002 final Fergie and his minnions were not calling it a Mickey Mouse trophy until they lost !!!!!! Giggs, Horseface, Keane , etc all played and were outclassed and outfought by the mighty reds :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:58 am

Damn right, we would wan't to win !! FIRST IS FIRST and SECOND IS NOWHERE !!
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:25 am

i say play nunez
its not the premiership but its the next best thing for getting him match fit
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion