Are our reserves good enough?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:35 pm

Obviously there will be differing views on what our best XI is but based on the two XIs below do you think there is enough quality to come into the side when needed?

1st XI

Reina
Finnan
Carragher
Agger
Riise
Pennant
Gerrard
Xabi Alonso
Gonzalez
Bellamy
Kuyt

2nd XI

Dudek
Peltier
Hyypia
Paletta
Aurelio
Luis Garcia
Sissoko
Zenden
Kewell
Crouch
Fowler

Good news is Carson is only out on loan and we could bring back Cisse, but how many of those in the '2nd XI' are going to be good enough back-up for a title challenge? If Rafa wants to rest players then what comes in must improve - 7 of the '2nd XI' played on Tuesday and while I think the Arsenal 'kids' aren't given enough credit for beating us, and indeed credited with being good players, it is a reminder that we don't have the squad depth.

I'd sell what we can and bring in new faces, the only ones I'd retain are Luis Garcia, Paletta (still a kid), Fowler (more value to Liverpool than in sale), Aurelio (give him a chance) and Sissoko. The rest can go in my opinion and we need good players in all those positions before a serious challenge can be mounted on the Premiership.

GK Carson?
RB
CB
CB Paletta
LB
RM
CM Sissoko
CM
LM
CF Fowler
CF Cisse?

Unspecified positions/reserves : Luis Garcia and Aurelio

Six new players needed, minimum with Luis Garcia and Aurelio making the squad up to 24. Of course where the money comes from is another matter, with the injuries we have now can we afford to wait for the outcome of takeover bids?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:54 pm

Good post and it does carry a bit of weight!

Our reserves are a bit behind the likes of Arsenal and maybe not up to scratch..thats for sure!
But there is a major factor here WENGER HAS BEEN AT ARSENAL FOR A LOT LONGER THAN BENITEZ AT LFC!

Mr Benitez had one priortity when he came to LFC,that was to sort out the 1st team,that was his paramount concern!I feel he has done well...he axed the deadwood without blinking and brought in quality and some versatility to the squad!
Im not saying all his signings have been a success but in reality every signing is a gamble...just ask Chelsea?
A lot of people have expected too much too soon from Benitez,he is definately going the right way!

As for the 2nd team or reserves...well basically its impossible to construct an entire squad in less than 3 seasons with our cash!
The above post is right but at the same time its not realistic given the circumstances!Benitez has many years ahead of him at LFC and given time he will build a strong squad with backup of the qualty needed!

Maybe we as fans are just gonna have to suffer A C/L,Supercup,Fa Cup and Carling cup.....on our way to becoming great! :D
66-1120597113

Postby 66-1120597113 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:55 pm

Oh and Owzat you look like me!! :laugh:
66-1120597113

Postby andy_g » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:59 pm

interesting split of first 11 and second eleven there, but as you say its your opinion. i would personally swap gonzalez and kewell over based on the form i have seen them produce and what i know for certain they are capable of in the premiership. it also seems a little wrong having sissoko in the reserves but then where else do you put him without upsetting the balance of the first eleven. momo is a tricky one at the moment and i look forward to seeing how the manager uses him on his return.

i'm not interested personally in seeing cisse come back so would much rather keep crouchy in that slot - a totally different kind of player, obviously, but a better conttributor to the team in my opinion. maybe we do play more directly when he's on the field but i'd rather we do that than give the ball to cisse to run into a blind alley with.

lucas o'neill should be a good replacement for peltier and i think guthrie has enough about him to warrant a few more runs out. after that though i'm stumped...

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:00 pm

Owzat wrote:GK Carson?
RB
CB
CB Paletta
LB
RM
CM Sissoko
CM
LM
CF Fowler
CF Cisse?

Definitely not enough quality throughout the side to challenge at the moment, I'd agree. 

Now, not sure if you meant it this way, mate, but your post reads as though the first team's sorted and our focus should be on the reserves.  Personally, I'd prefer to see signings that would transform some of our current first-teamers into reserve players.  Won't speculate on who those signings should be (the debate never ends) but I think the reserve 11 that you named could use the following additions sooner rather than later...

Reserves:

GK Carson
RB ?
CB Hyypia
CB Paletta
LB Aurelio
RM Pennant
CM Sissoko
CM ?
LM Gonzales
CF Fowler
CF Bellamy

Others to stay: Garcia, Crouch

To be sold: Zenden (not good enough), Kewell (will he ever be fit again?), Riise (a great servant of the club and a player I like but one who we could stand to improve upon and who we could sell fairly easily), Warnock (not good enough), Cisse (basically gone already), FSP (ditto)

So, that means we need, IMO:
1) a reserve RB (until Finnan's past it or unless we sign a player like Alves)
2) a (primarily) reserve CM (although this is a position where rotation is often necessary due to injuries and can be effective were we to get Mascherano, for instance)
3) a first-team quality LB
4) a first-team quality LM
5) a first-team quality RM
6) a first-team quality CF

Now, I'll admit the prospect of DIC taking over in the near future has influenced my transfer wish list but the shortcomings that have been exposed in the side over, well the entire season really if we're talking about the entire squad (our great form prior to Arsenal's visit was down to the so-called "Best 11" or so, IMO), have played their part as well.  This season has indeed been a wake-up call.  We're off the pace in the league and need to bring in a handful of quality players to truly push for glory on several fronts--most especially the league title--next season. 

That's how I sees it anyway! :D
Last edited by Bad Bob on Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby andy_g » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:01 pm

BarryBelfast wrote:Oh and Owzat you look like me!! :laugh:

and you keep posting after each other. i keep thinking i've got double vision  :laugh:

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Elchris » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:49 am

our reserve has a lot of potentials ...they are just not performing at the moment :(
Elchris

Postby EddieC » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:07 pm

Owzat wrote:Obviously there will be differing views on what our best XI is but based on the two XIs below do you think there is enough quality to come into the side when needed?

1st XI

Reina
Finnan
Carragher
Agger
Riise
Pennant
Gerrard
Xabi Alonso
Gonzalez
Bellamy
Kuyt

2nd XI

Dudek
Peltier
Hyypia
Paletta
Aurelio
Luis Garcia
Sissoko
Zenden
Kewell
Crouch
Fowler

Good news is Carson is only out on loan and we could bring back Cisse, but how many of those in the '2nd XI' are going to be good enough back-up for a title challenge? If Rafa wants to rest players then what comes in must improve - 7 of the '2nd XI' played on Tuesday and while I think the Arsenal 'kids' aren't given enough credit for beating us, and indeed credited with being good players, it is a reminder that we don't have the squad depth.

I'd sell what we can and bring in new faces, the only ones I'd retain are Luis Garcia, Paletta (still a kid), Fowler (more value to Liverpool than in sale), Aurelio (give him a chance) and Sissoko. The rest can go in my opinion and we need good players in all those positions before a serious challenge can be mounted on the Premiership.

GK Carson?
RB
CB
CB Paletta
LB
RM
CM Sissoko
CM
LM
CF Fowler
CF Cisse?

Six new players needed, minimum with Luis Garcia and Aurelio making the squad up to 24. Of course where the money comes from is another matter, with the injuries we have now can we afford to wait for the outcome of takeover bids?

I think one more season & you can add Anderson on the right of midfield & Hammill in the centre in that reserve XI.

I'd have to agree with Bad Bob that I'd rather see current first team players being pushed into the reserves rather than buying cheap as back up for what we already have.

Personally, I'd go for 2 RB's, Finnan's not got long left now & will need replacing, and I think we need better backup than Peltier. If we get Lucas Neill he'll do for backup, then get someone class within the next year or two. RM, I'd keep Pennant as backup, and again go for some real class for the first team. Down the left, I'd like to see JAR & Aurelio stay at least as back up, both can play in the two positions, ship out Kewell & Warnock (still undecided on Gonzales) and buy quality for LB & LM. Then all that's needed is a real goal threat, a poacher to benefit from the hard work of Kuyt. We may also need another CB, Hyypia's obviously not got long left, and Carra's no spring chicken. When Sami goes, we're gonna have Carra & Agger, but with no real backup. Paletta for me, has to go. He just doesn't have any pace, like Hyypia, but unlike Hyypia he hasn't got years of experience to make sure he's in the right positions. Hopefully two out of Hobbs, Antwi & Roque can make the grade (I'm certain Antwi will) but if not we'll need one more CB too.

So for me, my first & reserve XI would be:

First XI

GK Reina
LB New Player
CB Carra
CB Agger
RB Finnan (for now)
LM New player
CM Alonso
CM Gerrard
RM New player
CF Kuyt
CF New Player

Reserve XI

GK Carson
LB Riise
CB Antwi
CB Hyypia (for now)
RB New player (Lucas Neill?)
LM Aurelio
CM Sissoko
CM New player (Mascherano?)
RM Pennant
CF Crouch
CF Bellamy

Other Reserves

Fowler
Luis Garcia

TBH the amount of games Fowler's getting I think he'll be gone in the summer, but personally I'd keep him on for one more season. He still provides a goal threat, and if nothing else he's good for the dressing room, which is also very important. I Haven't designated Luis Garcia to any position firstly as he can play so many, and secondly as he's an impact player I'd use when chasing the game, when formations tend to go out of the window anyway.

Transfers

I think we'd need £60m to buy the players needed. We should be able to recoup about £10m if we sell all the players not listed above, leaving a balance of £50m. I know some of you will think this isn't a realistic sum, I won't comment on whether it is or not (we'll have to see what DIC come up with) but the fact is it's what needed if we want to win the league.

Just my thoughts anyway.
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion