The "don't buy the sun" blimp - Contributions invited

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:32 am

Hi guys - not posted here in a while, but I hope you're all well.

I've been kicking around an idea on the Rattle. How brilliant would it be on Match Of The Day or ESPN's coverage of live games at Anfield, for the camera to pan around the air like they do, and suddenly into the shot comes a whacking great blimp reading "DON'T BUY THE SUN"?

For that matter, how brilliant would it be for directors of Sky's coverage to ask a cameraman to point at the lovely Sky, not quite aware of what's up there?

Well, I think it'd be pretty smart, and I'd like your help in making it happen.

Doing very, very quick research it looks like we'd be looking at £1,500-£2,500 to get it made complete with the design of our choosing, and then there's helium that's needed to keep it up, which looks like it would cost £100 each time we used it.

I've thrown in a few quid to get the ball rolling, but anyone else wanting to get in on it, bung whatever cash through to my Paypal on stu@corkyball.co.uk

Obviously if the idea dies a death and contributions stall at a low sum, I'll refund everyone that throws in.

Please help if you can, as apathy to the boycott is growing with every year, and a generation of reds are growing up, particularly those born outside Liverpool, simply blind to what The S*n did to us in the aftermath of Hillsborough. That needs to stop, and this will be money well spent in educating and re-educating people about why we're still angry, and why we still won't allow that rag to get a foothold in the city.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Sabre » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:44 am

It's going to be difficult to surprise the tv men, but If the plan fails I want it fails trying it, not planning it. So I'll help with a humble contribution.

It's certainly an original idea, and I'd like to extend the idea to "don't quote the sun". More and more countries watch Premier games, and few people know about the truth. The spanish media are quoting this cúnts all the time, and for me it would be important this kind of protest, because it would catch the attention of the media.

Nice one Ivor  :)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:47 am

Hello Ivor, welcome back - your Takeover thread is still going strong!

The blimp would only make sense if 1. LFC dont object and 2. If the media agree to publicise it.

The fans have an issue with the S*n but does the club, can they publically support such a campaign?
Will BBC/ITV or the satellite channels take up a fight against the S*n?

I think you'd have to do some research before commiting hard earned cash mate.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:48 am

In the case the funding goes well consider to hire another one like this

with a Hicks and Gillete readable. The idea would be to make it explode it in the air  :D
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:06 am

Reg wrote:Hello Ivor, welcome back - your Takeover thread is still going strong!

The blimp would only make sense if 1. LFC dont object and 2. If the media agree to publicise it.

The fans have an issue with the S*n but does the club, can they publically support such a campaign?
Will BBC/ITV or the satellite channels take up a fight against the S*n?

I think you'd have to do some research before commiting hard earned cash mate.

To be completely honest with you the opinions of the club themselves would be pretty irrelevent to this - it'd be anchored outside the ground, but close enough so it could be seen. On a clear day, the messages on these blimps can be read from a couple of miles away.

It would actually be a good opportunity to try and nail the club down to taking a position on it. I don't know if they've ever actually backed the boycott, so it would be something worth taking their temperature on. I find it very hard to believe they'd be against it, put it that way.

As for the media, I think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective. It would actually be a story in itself. Sky - understandably - would probably go out of their way to avoid showing it, but ESPN certainly wouldn't, Match Of The Day probably wouldn't, and I could see press photographers of rival publications aiming their lenses that way, don't worry about that at all.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:15 am

Count me in ivor lad . I'll put some in through paypal mate . Will have to wait till payday now mate , a couple of weeks.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:58 am

Forgive the rough edges - knocked this up very quickly - but here's what I have in mind. This plus a relevant web link underneath the main message. Certainly by no means anything like a finished design or anything, but just so you get the idea.

ivor_the_injun

Postby Madmax » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:29 am

page 3 is quite good
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Highland Red » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:35 am

Even if the blimp idea doesn't get off the ground....fnarfnar.... banners and hand held posters distributed before K.O. so supporters could hold up would certainly get caught by the TV camera's and photographers.
Highland Red

Postby kazza » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:40 am

"There's no bad publicity" they say in public relations so why pay money to promote that sh1t-rag. No offence but nothing will come of it other than lost money. The only people that will get a kick out of it are the ones that that don't buy the S*n anyway. Nice idea though!
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redbilly1960 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:51 am

As much as this is a good idea and the more we publicly make people aware of what this peice of :censored: wrote. I think there is a lot more that needs to be done before you hire one of these, blow it up and tie it to the nearest railings. You would proberbly need police and local council permission. I seem to remember a furniture store having one of these for one of there numerous sales and it was "set free" the store were fined a huge amount of money. These things can create a huge safety issue if it were to be allowed to float over the city.
More banners and such inside the ground and a chant from the Kop would imho be more fruitful.
Top marks for the idea though.   :bowdown
"I was only in the game for the love of football-and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool"
                                                                Bill Shankly
Justice for the 96
Redbilly1960

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:42 am

I'm looking into the permission side. From what I've already learned though, it seems surprisingly straightforward - you need to give the civil aviation authority 28 days notice before they grant permission to fly one over a height of 60m (so, what's wrong with 59m?), and it seems you need planning permission if it's in one place more than 10 days a year (so, let's find a few suitable sites and keep moving it).
ivor_the_injun

Postby babu » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:04 am

kazza wrote:"There's no bad publicity" they say in public relations so why pay money to promote that sh1t-rag. No offence but nothing will come of it other than lost money. The only people that will get a kick out of it are the ones that that don't buy the S*n anyway. Nice idea though!

The S*n may or may not care about this, but it would raise awareness with millions and millions of LFC fans around the world.

Unfortunately most fans I know have the barest understanding of the tradegy and practical none of them know about the boy-cott.

It will raise awarness if anything.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:20 pm

There's a possibility we'll be able to do this a lot cheaper than was first thought - I'm in touch with a supplier of used blimps who can do the blimp itself, blank, for under £300. Smaller than I had in mind at first (7m), but coupled with this the overwhelming majority of people are wanting it to fly over the HJC shop. I'm looking into this possibility now, but if it was that close to the ground, a 7m blimp would be ample.

I genuinely thought we'd be looking at later in the season at the earliest to get this all sorted, but if we can get enough funds together to fund the balloon, artwork and a healthy amount of back-up funds to keep us in helium, we could feasibly have this :censored: in the air in a month or two.

If you're into this idea at all and are able to contribute, please get in touch. This is going to happen, and is going to absolutely fantastic.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Highland Red » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:20 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:There's a possibility we'll be able to do this a lot cheaper than was first thought - I'm in touch with a supplier of used blimps who can do the blimp itself, blank, for under £300. Smaller than I had in mind at first (7m), but coupled with this the overwhelming majority of people are wanting it to fly over the HJC shop. I'm looking into this possibility now, but if it was that close to the ground, a 7m blimp would be ample.

I genuinely thought we'd be looking at later in the season at the earliest to get this all sorted, but if we can get enough funds together to fund the balloon, artwork and a healthy amount of back-up funds to keep us in helium, we could feasibly have this :censored: in the air in a month or two.

If you're into this idea at all and are able to contribute, please get in touch. This is going to happen, and is going to absolutely fantastic.

How do you propose in getting the funds together?
Highland Red

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion