Mike riley - Very significant contributions.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:14 pm

Forget Henri, Drogba, Lampard, Rooney and the rest of the megabucks superstars, the most significant mover and shaker in the Championship race sofar is Mike Riley. A huge decision at Old trafford effectively cost Arsenal the game and resulted in pizzagate, the ramifications of which derailed Arsenal completely. I would venture the terrible call on the Rooney dive cost the Gooners between 6-8 points.
Then today. Jeez what a really really bad decision the handball was. He's not a cheat, nor is he being paid by Abrhamovic but he is just a very poor referee based on this seasons showing. I thought he was terrible today. Ironically, Manure would have been screaming 'penalty!' as loud as we all did but his ineptitude didn't come to their rescue today. Another huge decision. Another bad bad call. This man is going to decide the destination of the Premiership trophy single-handed. Shameful.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:20 pm

bigmick wrote:Forget Henri, Drogba, Lampard, Rooney and the rest of the megabucks superstars, the most significant mover and shaker in the Championship race sofar is Mike Riley. A huge decision at Old trafford effectively cost Arsenal the game and resulted in pizzagate, the ramifications of which derailed Arsenal completely. I would venture the terrible call on the Rooney dive cost the Gooners between 6-8 points.
Then today. Jeez what a really really bad decision the handball was. He's not a cheat, nor is he being paid by Abrhamovic but he is just a very poor referee based on this seasons showing. I thought he was terrible today. Ironically, Manure would have been screaming 'penalty!' as loud as we all did but his ineptitude didn't come to their rescue today. Another huge decision. Another bad bad call. This man is going to decide the destination of the Premiership trophy single-handed. Shameful.

bigmick, would you advocate the use of video evidence in football, when it comes to penalty decisions?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Santa » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:21 pm

bigmick wrote:He's not a cheat, nor is he being paid by Abrhamovic ...

...and you are sure of that?  :D

He sure does prefers team like Manure and Chelski and have a hatred for Liverpool and Arsenal...this I am sure!
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:23 pm

Cheat or not, he's one ****** up ref.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby reddippydick » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:27 pm

Smell the coffee

When yer pay peanuts yer get monkeys. There is too much money at stake to allow amateurs to continue at the top level.

We also need to start introducing some technical help in the decision making al la rugby league.

The defence the FA run is that this controversy adds to the interest in the game, that is bullsh1t. These people who run the game are as amateur as the referees we get.

When oh when will we wake up and see whats going on. It also seems to me that Riley doesn't know the rules, didnt it change a few years ago from intent to one of if the ball struck the illegal part of the body then its an offence. Wasn't the intent aspect removed from the rules?

The big games need refs with big boolocks and are prepared to give what they see, and Riley aint one of them I'm afraid.
reddippydick

Postby Santa » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:31 pm

reddippydick wrote:The defence the FA run is that this controversy adds to the interest in the game...

There's too much money at stake for dubious decisions to classified as "being of interest to the game". You're right, utter horseshite!

Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 77-1099054247 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:35 pm

2 blatant penalties denied from you lot.

I always said that he was a bad referee.
77-1099054247

Postby A.B. » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:36 pm

I always said that he was a bad referee

I'm guessing your excluding the penalty given to you against Arsenal
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby bigmick » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:37 pm

Don't know about the video thing St Mike. Images of players surrounding the ref at every turn and imploring him to check on the video lead me to think that maybe its a can of worms best left shut. Even for the handball today, while the replay clearly showed the contact between hand and ball I suppose Tiago would argue (wrongly) that he was fouled by Nunez which caused him to raise his arm.
No I think you've got to leave it the ref and just hope he gets it right nearly all the time which Mr Riley clearly doesn't. His laughable assertion that it was "ball to hand" is indication enough for me that while presumably understanding the laws of the game, he doesn't understand football itself. It was a rank bad call made worse by silliness in attempting to justify the decision.
The only type of video I have long advocated is to stamp out the play-acting in the modern game. For example Rooney should certainly have been banned following his dive against Arsenal in my book. He's by no means on his own but what he did was blatant cheating, pure and simple. Likewise the Bolton bloke should be banned aswell in the other Rooney incident. But for penalties? no I think you've just got to swallow the bitter pills we keep getting Mike.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:39 pm

A.B. wrote:

...and the 7 other penalties prior to that?

Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:40 pm

Santa wrote:
A.B. wrote:

Thanks for pointing that out mate.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 77-1099054247 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:42 pm

A.B. wrote:

Maybe that whole Rooney wasn't a penalty...but we should have been awarded one in a situation with Ronaldo later in the game, so it evened out!

FFS, even Gerrard pointed that out!
77-1099054247

Postby bigmick » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:43 pm

Yes I suspect our mono-browed visitor is merely demonstrating that irony is alive and kicking in Salford or Bournemouth or wherever he's from.  :D I guess I can hardly talk being an OOTer myself.
It was of course a desperate result for the Mancs. They would have been praying that we would take at least a draw off Chelski and I think this result probably kills them off in the title hunt once and for all. Oh well.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:44 pm

How about that penalty given against Crystal Palace? Was it Fletcher that dived in the box?
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 77-1099054247 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:45 pm

Santa wrote:
A.B. wrote:

And is it my fault he awarded us 7 penalties?!

Some of those were obvious penalties...others weren't too obvious.

But at times, when action needed to be taken, he did nothing so...

Regardless of the 7 pens, I still think he is a bad ref.
77-1099054247

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion