Mike riley - Very significant contributions.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The_Rock » Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:33 pm

Riley has absolutely no standard.

Ratings :

Fitness - 4/10
Pace - 2/10
Decision Making - 1/10
Fair - 1/10 (to us but 10/10 for manure)
Look - 0.1/10 (ugly twit).
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby reddippydick » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:00 pm

Correction

I've just looked up the rules and it seems there must be "deliberate intent" to handle the ball so it would appear we are back to where we started.

But I still think there was intent the hands should not be above the head in that situation.
reddippydick

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:24 pm

reddippydick wrote:Correction

I've just looked up the rules and it seems there must be "deliberate intent" to handle the ball so it would appear we are back to where we started.

But I still think there was intent the hands should not be above the head in that situation.

even if nunez gave him a nudge, their is no reason for his hands to be up in that position.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gazzathack » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:35 pm

As an Arsenal fan, I wanted Liverpool to win for purely selfish reasons. Its funny how we all see video evidence a different way. I saw the liverpool player make contact with the Chelsea players arm, just before the player hand balled it. Had it not been for that, it was a definate penalty. I don't even know if Reilly saw it or not, but sadly for Arsenal it was the right decision. I used to knock defenders arms to cause hand balls in the area, no one ever looks at that, and the worst punishment is a free kick. Whether the liverpool player meant to do it or not is debateable, but his hand made contact with the chelsea players arm. I can't believe none of the so called experts, including my old hero Tony Adams, didn't pick it up
gazzathack

Postby A.B. » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:40 pm

Funny how Tiago had his arm up before Nunez was even near him. Nunez didn't cause Tiago's arm to go up, it shouldn't had been up.

Second penalty was when Pongolle was held, that was just too obivious not to miss but Riley obiviously did.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ade » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:49 pm

Agree AB: the Tiago handball is a stonewall penalty. You can talk about intent, but it's obvious when a ball is struck against a player from 3 yards away and he can't get out of the way. This was a ball in across the box that Tiago saw coming and made his ball: he jumps with his arms up as it's coming in, and then raises them again when the ball gets nearer. No debate there.

the other incident was a pen too, and this is something that really needs stamping out of the game. Makalele has got his arms wrapped round Pongolle and is making no effort to play the ball. That's a penalty. The Germans were using this tactic to a ridiculous degree in Euro 2004. Christian Worns was basically defending free-kicks with his back to the free-kick taker, not even watching the flight of the ball, and manhandling strikers to the ground.

Couple of penalties for this and it'll disappear.

One more point: one of those pens before half-time doesn't just earn us a point by making it 1-1. It changes the whole complexion of the game for the 2nd half. If we went in 1-0 up, as we should have, Chelsea would've had to come out and attack the entire second half. This would've left them less compact in midfield and more vulnerable at the back.

As it was, they sat deep, defended to the death and got a spawny goal on the counter.
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:01 pm

Ade wrote:Agree AB: the Tiago handball is a stonewall penalty. You can talk about intent, but it's obvious when a ball is struck against a player from 3 yards away and he can't get out of the way. This was a ball in across the box that Tiago saw coming and made his ball: he jumps with his arms up as it's coming in, and then raises them again when the ball gets nearer. No debate there.

the other incident was a pen too, and this is something that really needs stamping out of the game. Makalele has got his arms wrapped round Pongolle and is making no effort to play the ball. That's a penalty. The Germans were using this tactic to a ridiculous degree in Euro 2004. Christian Worns was basically defending free-kicks with his back to the free-kick taker, not even watching the flight of the ball, and manhandling strikers to the ground.

Couple of penalties for this and it'll disappear.

One more point: one of those pens before half-time doesn't just earn us a point by making it 1-1. It changes the whole complexion of the game for the 2nd half. If we went in 1-0 up, as we should have, Chelsea would've had to come out and attack the entire second half. This would've left them less compact in midfield and more vulnerable at the back.

As it was, they sat deep, defended to the death and got a spawny goal on the counter.

****** briliant post.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Gareth G » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:50 pm

Well gazzathack, if Tiago has his hands above his head and thats not intent, could you please tell me exactly what it is/was?

Why else would he have his hands up there other than to make contact with the ball?

The reason the panel of experts, including your old hero Adams failed to see the incident in your point of view is because it is one of total BS and coming from someonce who obviously has no clue about football. If view had even been a tiny bit correct it WOULD have been pointed out.

The fact is, Riley doesnt deserve to be a professional referee, i sincerely hope the FA look into his obscurred decisions from past and present and make some kind of decision on his future, he is a pathetic excuse for a ref
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:43 pm

gazzathack wrote:As an Arsenal fan, I wanted Liverpool to win for purely selfish reasons. Its funny how we all see video evidence a different way. I saw the liverpool player make contact with the Chelsea players arm, just before the player hand balled it. Had it not been for that, it was a definate penalty. I don't even know if Reilly saw it or not, but sadly for Arsenal it was the right decision. I used to knock defenders arms to cause hand balls in the area, no one ever looks at that, and the worst punishment is a free kick. Whether the liverpool player meant to do it or not is debateable, but his hand made contact with the chelsea players arm. I can't believe none of the so called experts, including my old hero Tony Adams, didn't pick it up

tiago miss timed his jump, he knew what he was doing.
there was slight contact on him from nunez i think it was ,but its not a non contact sport, if there was a foul everytime someone`s hand touched another player you`d end the game with 1000+ fouls.
its pushing which is illegal, not contact.
we are talking about football not 4kin netball

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:14 am

There is a lot of inconsistencies with riley. That is why ppl are so angry with him. I mean, in old thrashford he is so fcuking lenient (even 30-70 also give).

Then suddenly at anfield he decides to become a miser.....

it does not make sense.....

Wenger has complained about riley. I hope Rafa does the same (at the expense of getting fined..).  Riley does not deserve to officiate at this level.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hobbes » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:44 am

But the same ref has given so many penalties for Liverpool too. And against MU for Liverpool. I read teh stats some where.

Personally, i think after Arsenal/ MU Penalty turmoil, he plays safe  and avoid giving penalty.

And he made some comments to justify it.. what was it... ball in the hand  and not a hand ball. can anyone explain ?
hobbes

Postby Djiin » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:04 am

can anyone explain ?

banned that scum totally...disgraced to epl! :angry:
Djiin

Postby gazzathack » Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:52 am

Hi, I hear what you are saying, but where is the section in the rule book that says you can't have your hands up? If your arm is knocked, especially by someone else's hand, how can it be a penalty? The video that I saw showed Nunez hold the top of his arm. If only Nunez had kept his hand off him, you would have done us a big favour. The other decisions are another thing. The reds deserved to win, and Im really sorry they didn't
gazzathack

Postby 77-1099054247 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:27 pm

Why they let Mike Riley referee; especially in the big games, is beyond me!

A.B-First, you complain about referee's like Mike Riley being unfair. Then you suggest that you should be able to choose your own referee's which will probably result in more refs like Riley! Notice the irony..?
77-1099054247

Postby 77-1099054247 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:30 pm

hobbes wrote:But the same ref has given so many penalties for Liverpool too. And against MU for Liverpool. I read teh stats some where.

Not too sure about that.

The main focus seems to be on the fact that Riley gave us a lot of penalties so if the case was the same with you lot, surely that would be mentioned too...or maybe not.

Got the link to where you read that?
77-1099054247

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion