The academy - Has it delivered?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Woollyback » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:43 pm

It's been a few years now since all that money got spent on setting up the Academy, promising to bring some great new talent through the ranks. Is it just me who thinks it's had the opposite effect?

Before the Academy we used to develop some of the best in the business; Fowler, McManaman, Gerrard, Owen etc etc.

Since the Academy Otsemobor's about the best that's come through and he's more famous for getting shot in the a#se than anything on the pitch. Any thoughts?
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:49 pm

has the academy produced? yes. has the academy been utilised? no. that is the important point here. it's fair enough producing the players but if you're not going to give them a chance you might as well get rid of them or loan them out to get first team experience.

otsemobor looked good when he got a chance at right back because he was willing to get forward. result? he's loaned out to bolton where he hasn't played. john welsh was apparently going to be loaned out to sunderland until he broke his foot recently. it's up to the coaching staff from the under 19s to the reserves to make sure that these players are progressing at an acceptable rate and are possible first team players of the future.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Woollyback » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:58 pm

I'd much rather see a couple of local scalliies in the mould of Fowler & Gerrard coming into the side than a £14m potential flop. It's an obvious point but the local lads at the academy would donate a kidney to wear the shirt, rather than some w#nk#r who deigns to grace us with his presence for a zilion quid a week
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:04 pm

everyone keeps raving about john welsh the reserve captain. he's supposedly very similar to stevie g in the way he plays the game. i'd like to see him get a run out on the bench soon so if we are say 3-0 up with 10mins to go we could bring gerrard off and him on. better than some waster like diao or smicer. the other gut to apparently watch out for is steven gillespie who is top scorer for the under 19s at the moment.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The_Rock » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:10 pm

Our 3 most important players - Owen, Gerrard & Carragher. They did not cost anything. On the other hand Biscan, Diouf, Diao cost abt 18 million quid.

Something is not right. Have heard rumours that GH & Steve highway cannot get along so GH is not promoting any academy players. Really hope this is false though.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:14 pm

Hope it's not true as well. Heighway's got more brains in his little finger than Houllier could drem of
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:17 pm

it's no coincidence that our best players are all english. it's just a shame that english players are so expensive in the transfer market theses days. man u proved that you can win things by brooding the youngsters that come through the youth ranks (nevilles, beckham, butt, giggs) etc. there just doesn't seem to be the players coming through at the moment. i think this is partly due to the fact that players are getting snapped up at a much younger age and are being offered professional contracts before they are really ready. wayne rooney may be an exception to this, but even he was turned down by liverpool as a schoolkid.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The_Rock » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:21 pm

stmichael wrote:wayne rooney may be an exception to this, but even he was turned down by liverpool as a schoolkid.

i don't think liverpool turned him down to his ability. He came to trials wearing a everton jersey. So no choice but to turn him away.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:26 pm

is that true? thats a disgrace.  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Woollyback » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:27 pm

I'm inclined to believe it, thick monkey boy that he is
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<