Sven for liverpool. - Possible new boss?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby greenred » Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:58 pm

I had this weird dream last night in which england boss sven goran eriksson was liverpools new manager.are we all looking in the wrong direction and ignoring the obvious? chelsea may well hold on to the tinkerman while man ure seem to be sticking with the timekeeper.are we about to be landed with the ulrikaman?

I hope not,its martin o neill for me.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:42 pm

What about Alan Curbishley?

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:00 pm

I would hope liverpool could attract a bigger name then alan curbishley.no disrespect to charlton but doing a good job there is a different thing to achieving success with liverpool.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:09 pm

I am a big fan of Alan Curbishley but I read somewhere that a main factor behind his success at Charlton is becuase he runs the club from top to bottom and his opinion is the bottom line at all levels, from buying players, first time matters, contracts, the reserves, youth team etc. This would work well at a smaller club, but he might not have the same powers at a big club.

Erickson would be good if he had £70million to spend, but Liverpool will hardly sanction that kind of expenditure again until we are regulars in the Champions League.

Why is it so "taboo" to poach the manager of another top club? Is it not beyond the realms of possibility to lure Arsene Wenger away from Arsenal? It happens the whole time in Italy: the coaches of Inter, Milan, Lazio, Roma, Juventus and Parma regularly swap around.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby redandblue » Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:36 pm

Why on earth would Wenger want to leave Arsenal for us? Arsenal are an ambitious club with fabulous players and a great team. Liverpool are not ambitious, and with the exception of Owen and Gerrard, are very mediocre.
redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:59 pm

I've stated earlier that I am not going to get involved in the talk about a new manager until the end of the season. Let's see how the season goes first before making judgements. Rememeber Houllier has just totally changed his philosophy as regards how he plays. No longer do we play defensive boring football, but more attacking attractive football. It will take a while for the palyers to get used to this but it will happen. The problem is that injuries are blunting a lot of Liverpools attacking options and with the tansfer window theres nothing that can be done about this. Hence the whole lack of goals problem. Emile Heskey is not going to score goals and thats that. So when Michael owen is out, theres no cutting edge up-front, apart from Flo-Po's late cameos when he is usually involved in a very strong penalty shout. When Baros comes back he will start instead of Heskey and if Cisse comes in  the summer that will be the end of Heskey in my opinion. Anybody would score more goals than Emile Heskey which is sad because Heskey has all the attributes of a great striker. He just lacks the self belief and confidence to translate it into goals.
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:12 pm

redandblue wrote:Why on earth would Wenger want to leave Arsenal for us? Arsenal are an ambitious club with fabulous players and a great team. Liverpool are not ambitious, and with the exception of Owen and Gerrard, are very mediocre.

I agree that Wenger might not want to go to Liverpool but there are the follwoing pros:

1. Liverpool are a bigger club than Arsenal, with bigger support, greater history, and more prestigious name in Europe.

2. He would have more money to spend at Anfield.

3. He might enjoy the prospect of re-awakening a sleeping giant.

However, I think if Wenger leaves Arsenal it will be to Spain or Italy.

All I was trying to point out is that top English clubs seem to be afraid to poach managers from their rivals. It happens all the time in Italy, where Inter Milan have poached Marcello Lippi from Juventus etc.

I think that Wenger would find it hard to turn down a £4million a year contract, even if it was Leeds who were offering it to him!
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:15 pm

simic_ie wrote:which is sad because Heskey has all the attributes of a great striker. He just lacks the self belief and confidence to translate it into goals.

Unfortunately self belief and confidence are as important an attribute in a footballer than strength, speed, even skill. Look at Roy Keane.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby greenred » Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:54 pm

keane has all those attributes you mentioned jbg.he is probably the most important player of his generation.he is also something else,a traitor.give me poor old heskey any day.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:44 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:
redandblue wrote:Why on earth would Wenger want to leave Arsenal for us? Arsenal are an ambitious club with fabulous players and a great team. Liverpool are not ambitious, and with the exception of Owen and Gerrard, are very mediocre.

I agree that Wenger might not want to go to Liverpool but there are the follwoing pros:

1. Liverpool are a bigger club than Arsenal, with bigger support, greater history, and more prestigious name in Europe.

2. He would have more money to spend at Anfield.

3. He might enjoy the prospect of re-awakening a sleeping giant.

However, I think if Wenger leaves Arsenal it will be to Spain or Italy.

All I was trying to point out is that top English clubs seem to be afraid to poach managers from their rivals. It happens all the time in Italy, where Inter Milan have poached Marcello Lippi from Juventus etc.

I think that Wenger would find it hard to turn down a £4million a year contract, even if it was Leeds who were offering it to him!

1. Unfortunately Arsenal are a better side than us at the moment. Persuading Wenger to leave Arsenal would be tough

2. I doubt he would spend as much as Houllier and on better players

3. He would have enough French players to work with! (or in most views, get rid of)

I agree, there isn't much challenge left for Wenger other than to beat manu and be more successful in Europe. I think once a manager settles at a successful Premiership club they rarely take a step down or sideways.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:51 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:
simic_ie wrote:which is sad because Heskey has all the attributes of a great striker. He just lacks the self belief and confidence to translate it into goals.

Unfortunately self belief and confidence are as important an attribute in a footballer than strength, speed, even skill. Look at Roy Keane.

The problem is that he is as thick as s##t, and dosen't learn from his mistakes.

You do need to be fairly intelligent to play at the top level, a lot of the game is played in the mind, just knowing what to do and when.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:57 pm

I can only guess SGE and Kermit like Heskey because they believe he has the qualities typical of an English striker (pace, strength etc) and they probably admire the English game. In all truth, he rarely delivers what he is capable of and does very little. His goalscoring record is poor and we could include another midfielder if we wanted someone to hold the ball and not score
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:59 pm

For all his work rate, he still don't do enough, we need someone to help Owen with the goals.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:29 pm

Martin O' Neills Celtic got a draw against Bayern last night.

O' Neill has fellas like Varga, Balde and Agathe competing against the likes of Ballack, Elber (of Lyon), Ze Roberto and Maackay this season and they are top of their Champions League group.

Imagine what he could do with some of the under achievers at Anfield?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby greenred » Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:15 pm

greenred wrote:I had this weird dream last night in which england boss sven goran eriksson was liverpools new manager.are we all looking in the wrong direction and ignoring the obvious? chelsea may well hold on to the tinkerman while man ure seem to be sticking with the timekeeper.are we about to be landed with the ulrikaman?

I hope not,its martin o neill for me.

sorry fellas,false alarm.
I had yet another dream last night and it turns out sven is only first team coach.According to my latest dream our new manager  will be that fit irish bird who does the weather on sky news.
well she cant be any worse then that french bloke.sven can take training and she can give us weather forecasts for the anfield area on matchdays.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion