STEWART DOWNING - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Greavesie » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:10 am

Benny The Noon wrote:We have a 35 million striker who thrives on balls into the box so we have purchased the guy who has completed the most successful amount of crosses in the prem .

People are always looking for the big name multi million pound supposed"world class " signings .

Maybe it's time now to build a team - the sum of all parts as opposed to talented individuals .

Adam , Henderson and Downing may not be on the level off the Messi's and Tevez's etc but if they all contribute to the team then that's all we can ask .

Is out squad better than the day Kenny took over ?

Yes massively better - look at what Kenny did with that squad - only two teams got more points than us . Imagine what he will do next season .

We also have to look at how players see us - we can't offer European football , massive wages and that puts us on the back foot straight away .

Downing , Adam and Henderson are signings which improve our team and squad and we help us get back into the top 4 .

strangely optimistic of you Ben, well done  :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:17 am

Well over the last couple of years we have had posters telling us to buy this foriegn player and that foriegn player for tens of millions like it is a game of FM . Well we have bought foriegn for over ten years and it has won us a few cups . Maybe it's time to concentrate on building a team of players who gel - no more relying on Torres or Gerrard to turn a game for us . Players like Downing and Henderson are a little over priced - so what ?! At least we are getting players now . Let Kenny build the team .

The sum of all parts .
Benny The Noon

Postby aCe' » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:19 am

Fowler_E7 wrote:
aCe' wrote:Downing ?

If the signings of this summer arent a sign that we are accepting our position as an upper mid-table side then I dont know what is....

Kenny being the manager aside, I think most if not all all fans would have been disappointed to learn that the year where we have more money than ever, we decide to go out and spend it on Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam, and Stewart Downing...

Decent players ? Probably... Good enough to take us to the next level ? not in a million years ...

Gotta agree with this, i also cant beleive the amount were spendind on these players since Commoli & Dalglish have come in, IMO only Adam & Suarez look value for money, we have been masively ripped off for Carroll, Henderson and now Downing, absolute joke prices.

Its Ridiculous... What pi$ses me off the most is that we seemed to have a pretty good foundation to build on after last season...

- With Gerrard returning, we'd have a midfield three of Gerrard, Meireles and Lucas.. The most likely to be improved on from the three was always going to be Lucas (who has Spearing as backup, while the other 2 have Aquilani) .. What do we do about that ?

We go out and spend 20mill on Henderson and 10mill on Adam...

- With Kuyt, Maxi, Suarez and Carroll, we have 2 top options and 2 decent ones for the 3 forward positions.. Theres only way way to go from there in my books and thats to add another top option for the 3rd forward spot.. What do we do ?

We go out and spend close to 20mill on another decent option who does little to improve on what we had in our starting 11.

- Meanwhile, our most problematic positions are at the back... The back4 situation is a shambles imo... The CenterBacks arent good enough, the Leftback position is crying out for a new signing, and too much pressure is being put on youngsters to step up their game early on in their careers. What do we do about that ?

- Nothing... Well, we signed our 47th backup keeper if its any consolation

TBH, we would have rather spent the 50 or so million signing top defensive players without touching the midfield and forward positions rather than what we went out and did so far...

I know the transfer window is nowhere near over, but its not realistic to expect us to go out and spend 30 or so more million on improving our backline
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:21 am

Dag nammit , wish to f.uck we could go back to this time last year when we had :censored: owners ,a sh!t manager and Joe f.uckin Cole on a free as our marquee signing . Oh yeah and facing the possibility of administration as well . Kenny has a plan and kenny is buying players that will make that plan work . can we atlaest give it half a season until we decide the signings are :censored: and not worth the money .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:26 am

Its Ridiculous... What pi$ses me off the most is that we seemed to have a pretty good foundation to build on after last season...

I really don't agree with this at all. There's a lot of sh!te in the squad that couldn't be relied on for a whole season. Sure a few of the players shone under Kenny's reign towards the end of the season but for it doesn't change the fact they can;t be relied on

We have a few young lads who aren't ready, aren't good enough or are decent back up if nothing more - Spearing being a good example

With Carroll in the squad we badly need width, like benny says above, it just makes sense.

I'm not sure what we're doing with the midfield either if I'm being honest but this time you can take Gerrard out and it looks stable, for years all youo had to do was take him away and it was blunt. It's looking a lot more balanced, once we sort out our outgoings anyway whoever they might be

Defence badly needs sorted tho I agree with you there

YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby aCe' » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:30 am

Benny The Noon wrote:Well over the last couple of years we have had posters telling us to buy this foriegn player and that foriegn player for tens of millions like it is a game of FM . Well we have bought foriegn for over ten years and it has won us a few cups . Maybe it's time to concentrate on building a team of players who gel - no more relying on Torres or Gerrard to turn a game for us . Players like Downing and Henderson are a little over priced - so what ?! At least we are getting players now . Let Kenny build the team .

The sum of all parts .

HAs nothing to do with foreign and local...

The sides that have dominated the league the last 10 or so years (Chelsea and ManUtd) havent done so relying on local players...

Theres always a case for talented individuals regardless of what anyone says... Having 11 Kuyts on the side wont win us anything.. But you can bet they'll be in perfect harmony..

It's top level stuff and until we are able to be competitive in every position and have that extra edge over the other top sides, we wont be able to win anything of any significance..

Players like Downing, Adam and Henderson will only get you so far... What many people dont get is that Downing is effective when he's at his best, and when the side plays to his strengths... When the side is struggling, he offers little to nothing in terms of individual ability to get us out of sht...

Besides Gerrard and to a lesser extent Suarez, we lack such players... Looking at the other top sides, they all have more top players than we do atm....
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:35 am

The sides that have dominated the league the last 10 or so years (Chelsea and ManUtd) havent done so relying on local players...

Man U's British players in the last few years - if indeed thats what you mean by local:

O'Shea
Brown
Ferdinand
Carrick
Giggs
Scholes
Hargreaves
Rooney
Jones
Young
Smalling
Owen
Evans
Gibson
Neville
Fletcher

I'm just doing that off the top of my head as well - I genuinely think it makes a difference. Man Utd might not be the best man for man side, but as a team its not debatable, maybe thats because they gel as a unit off the pitch?

YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:37 am

One thing we all can agree on i suppose . Is that it's nice to be in the market again wether you agree with the signings or not . It's also quite nice talking about how much we're spending on players and not servicing the debt .
UP THE PURPS !!!
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:41 am

Exactly my point Greavsie - the mancs have prob a couple game turners - Rooney and maybe Nani - yet it's there team ethic and building a team that works together that gets them winning stuff .

Chelsea didnt have and when they were struggling they just threw money at the problem

Man City are trying to buy a talented team but are just buying expensive individuals

Arsenal are building it all with young kids .
Benny The Noon

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:44 am

Also to say i honestly think we got the better player between us and the mancs for sure .
UP THE PURPS !!!
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:50 am

good signing if and when done for me.

ace we may still need a centre back and a left back but we have just signed a decent wide player who is better than what we had.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby ethanr » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:03 am

Igor Zidane wrote:Also to say i honestly think we got the better player between us and the mancs for sure .

Agree.

I really rate Downing.  He fits perfectly into our squad.  We now have somebody that can put the balls in for Carroll.

Very excited to see him play.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby crim cram » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:24 am

For the last three years we were moaning that we had to look to foreign talent because of the premium on domestic talent.  We've brought in four really good British players and paid a premium for it.  On top of finishing 6th two straight seasons.  This is called an upswing, we are doing fine.  It's not perfect, we aren't getting Messi, Pepe, etc. but a TEAM is being assembled that can challenge for trophies.

Welcome Downing, any help on the wings would be most welcome.
“Me having no education. I had to use my brains.”  Shankly
crim cram
LFC Super Member

Postby Raoul » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:35 am

aCe' wrote:- Meanwhile, our most problematic positions are at the back... The back4 situation is a shambles imo... The CenterBacks arent good enough, the Leftback position is crying out for a new signing, and too much pressure is being put on youngsters to step up their game early on in their careers. What do we do about that ?

- Nothing... Well, we signed our 47th backup keeper if its any consolation

TBH, we would have rather spent the 50 or so million signing top defensive players without touching the midfield and forward positions rather than what we went out and did so far...

I know the transfer window is nowhere near over, but its not realistic to expect us to go out and spend 30 or so more million on improving our backline

Downing? I think it is a good move (welcome lad), lack of width is one of the three things I hoped to see us rectify and this is a step in the right direction.

Having seen Adam in action last night I'm happier with this signing. Henderson? Ah well, time will tell. While how Kenny will line us up isn't at all clear right now, we certainly look like having a MUCH better bench than before.

But until we have a new CB and LB, then I think we've failed in the transfer market. Still time. I'll stay hopeful...
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby alxy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:38 am

All about how Kenny gets him motivated and playing his best, which I think Kenny has that ability to do. We were all excited when Kewell came over too, but look how that turned out. To be fair, he did get injured a fair bit, but overall, disappointing.

As far as how it all gels on the pitch, still too early to tell. But hopefully Kenny will get it right. But as far as the feel-good factor and morale goes, has to be super positive. Downing chose us over Arsenal. With the buys of Henderson and Adam and hopefully a good LB, this shows our intent. Can only be a good thing for the players. Much better than last 2 years when we were worried over our debts, owners and having Alonso and Masch leave. And then the speculation of whether Torres will leave or not. This year, there is no such negative vibe over players leaving (at least, not the ones we care about :) )
alxy

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion