St mike... (bit on pens aswell)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:47 pm

Firstly the penalties... Its surely psychological?

I remember when he was a kid in the world cup against the argies and wacked one in off the angle. At the time he was full of confidence and thriving off the pressure.

I think you can see his confidence level from the standard of penalties he's taking. Even the one against portugal wasn't really a good penalty. On a personal note i've never missed a penalty in a match and thats down to my belief in taking them. I always feel confident even if i'm having a bad game i know that i can beat any goalkeeper from 12 yards. I think Michael has some what lost this belief... practise is something that gives you the confidence to do it, you get that used to it it becomes second nature.

When he's on top of his game and looking arrogant and and confident theres no-one better. I just think at the minute he's seriously lacking the confidence to thrive on the pressure.

He used to look cold and concentrated when through on goal and he always made it look easy. These days he often looks frustrated and annoyed and only really scores from instinct strikes. He seems to lack belief a bit.

I think if Benitez can install that believe back into Michael (which i dont think would be to difficult) and also install belief in him that the team can deliver if he does we will see him back to where he belongs as the most feared striker in world football.
115-1073096938

Postby glenbuck patriot » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:56 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Firstly the penalties... Its surely psychological?

I remember when he was a kid in the world cup against the argies and wacked one in off the angle. At the time he was full of confidence and thriving off the pressure.

I think you can see his confidence level from the standard of penalties he's taking. Even the one against portugal wasn't really a good penalty. On a personal note i've never missed a penalty in a match and thats down to my belief in taking them. I always feel confident even if i'm having a bad game i know that i can beat any goalkeeper from 12 yards. I think Michael has some what lost this belief... practise is something that gives you the confidence to do it, you get that used to it it becomes second nature.

When he's on top of his game and looking arrogant and and confident theres no-one better. I just think at the minute he's seriously lacking the confidence to thrive on the pressure.

He used to look cold and concentrated when through on goal and he always made it look easy. These days he often looks frustrated and annoyed and only really scores from instinct strikes. He seems to lack belief a bit.

I think if Benitez can install that believe back into Michael (which i dont think would be to difficult) and also install belief in him that the team can deliver if he does we will see him back to where he belongs as the most feared striker in world football.

Stu,

How old are you?,

The only reason I ask is that if you're not 65 then maybe we should be taking you to Germany in 2006, IF as you say you've NEVER missed a Penalty (at any level), you should at LEAST be the Penalty Taking Coach if not England's SAVIOUR in the next World Cup!
Pirrie Labour Club 1976 Bill Shankly Prize giving at local ABA Championships.

"You've been booked in to do a three round exhibition bout tonight Bill."

" My fights don't last three rounds SON!"
glenbuck patriot

Postby supersub » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:00 pm

Owen is not a penalty taker,get real.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby glenbuck patriot » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:03 pm

Stu,

Sorry for the delay, just been next door to drag my mate's three year old out of his BED, took five penalties against him in the back Garden (very small goal).......... and guess what scored ALL FIVE!, maybe I should be Englands Penalty taking coach! :D  :D  :D
Pirrie Labour Club 1976 Bill Shankly Prize giving at local ABA Championships.

"You've been booked in to do a three round exhibition bout tonight Bill."

" My fights don't last three rounds SON!"
glenbuck patriot

Postby taff » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:06 pm

Who will take the penalties this season then?
Can you see Murphy playing a lot of games

I said in another thread somewhere that Brian Clough in 442 magazine actually praised Owen for his attitude taking a penalty against Portugal said he insisted he take one and showed he had the minerals
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:09 pm

Glenbuck's neighbours 3 year old saved 4 of my 5 penalties,but I was lacking self confidence brought on by the hell of Houllier,so I'm hoping a little coachng from the great stu "I coach the best,I'm great,I'm a scuffer,I know everything,I'm hard" the red,will help to improve and regain that deadly accuracy from 12 yards.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:12 pm

:D
Are you Beckham in disguise  :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:20 pm

Its just belief.

Le Tissier said that aswell, he's one of the best penalty takers ever. The more confident you are from the spot and the more decisive you are the better you take them. Owen only recently started missing penalties once the self doubt set in.

Like i said, when he was a kid against the argies he put one in the top corner. He also scored his second goal for Liverpool from the spot. Its not as if he can't do it.

As the first line of this post says... Believe/condfidence is the key.

Glenbuck, argue all ya want lad... what i've just said is spot on.
115-1073096938

Postby supersub » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:23 pm

spot on.....it's a cracker...hehehehehehehehe!     it's the way yer tellem'
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby adayinthelife » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:23 am

Hey stu if you look at Owen's record at the highest level his goalscoring record is not that great.

He never was the most feared striker in football and never will be either.

Saying that he has never had the service and has been forced to feed off scraps the last 2 seasons but this season that should all change and he is well capable of scoring 25+ goals in the league IF he stays injury free.
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:27 am

Hey stu if you look at Owen's record at the highest level his goalscoring record is not that great.

He's got an average of better than 1 goal every two games and has a world class goals to minutes ratio throughout his career.

And if you are reffering to the National team... 26 from 60 isn't a bad record considering he's 3 to 4 years from his peak.

He never was the most feared striker in football and never will be either.

Name another striker who went on a run scoring 29 goals from a 24 game period in the last 20 years. Failing to score in only 4 of those games.

He also won the europian footballer of the year and i would argue that there wasn't a more feared striker in the world after he scored that hatrick against the germans.

Saying that he has never had the service and has been forced to feed off scraps the last 2 seasons but this season that should all change and he is well capable of scoring 25+ goals in the league IF he stays injury free.

He has been living off scraps for two seasons and has been miserabley out of form yet he's still managed 47 from 87 starts and 5 sub appearances. Isn't that a sign of his class?

If he has a good season he could get 30 odd goals no problem.

Infact, imo, with the right service and in the right team on top of his game and injury free he is capable of getting around 40-45 goals a season.

Think about it, 19 last season just gone, at his best in what? say... 7 or 8 games? with only Steven Gerrard (not the most creative of midfielders) performing consistently from the other 5 players around him.

If Kewell performs consistently and we get a couple more class midfielders who can create chances and he concentrates on his form he could have a belter of a season.
115-1073096938

Postby Red » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:02 am

The problem with penalties is that all the strikers want to take them these days, not cos they good at it, but because they want to get a good tally for season goals. This is due to the focus on goal tallies, also most get paid per goal and the team/coach bow to pressure to allow them to excel.

1) I think the goal tally should be focused on goals in open play...penalties shouldnt count.
2) Stuff the strikers goal tally, its a team sport and the best penalty taker should get the nod for the good of the team and end result. A good open play player isnt neccessarily the best pealty taker, it could even be your own goalkeeper, or a stalwart defender. Heck I agree with Stu to a degree, its a confidence thing, so the captain should give the nod to the guy who is in form that day.
Football is a simple game, all you have to do is pass the ball to a player in a red shirt.
Red
LFC Elite Member

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:21 am

Red wrote:1) I think the goal tally should be focused on goals in open play...penalties shouldnt count.

it's always been in my head:

- Penalty taking obviously needs skill, confidence and experience
- Therefore it has to be executed by a skillful, confident and experienced player
-Does that mean players like Owen and Beckham are lack of skill, confidence and experience? and or Danny Murphy is more skillful, confident and experienced than them?

That mustn't be true.

So? maybe stu the coach can explain?
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby begintoend » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:02 am

The captain will take it. Since he has the responsibility of a captain of the team.

Nominees are : SG, MO and Hypia.

Though think there's a curse that beckham tends to spread if a captains takes the penalty.

But who can really "beckham" a spot kick!  :p
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:22 am

adayinthelife wrote:Hey stu if you look at Owen's record at the highest level his goalscoring record is not that great.

Michael Owen has an average of more than one goal in every two games played in at least five of the past six seasons. He is often hampered by injury and takes a while to get back to his best on his return.

Any striker who consistently score at a ratio greater that 1:2 is quality. You could argue that goals/ season is more important than goal ratio, after all a striker that scores 5 goals in 10 matches and spends the rest of the season sidelined through injury will not have much impact on his teams performance of league standing.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion