Sly sports and over reaction - Take a step back and a deep breath

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:41 am

I liked your post a lot Leonmc0708

I'll add a couple of points.

When I read the head line I was SHOCKED, I simply could not imagine Xabi Alonso pleading for signings. The logic is simple, if he never did that in Real Sociedad, (neither has Nihat) when he was the f*cking star of the team, how could have said that in a greater team? either he has changed a lot, or the jornalist was making sensationalism, and it strikes me that it's the latter. As we understand football here, pleading that would be an insult to the rest of the squad, I haven't known a player here that dares to say such a thing. Even strong personality players like Aldo, when asked about if Townsend would be a decent signing for Real Sociedad, said that "he trusted the team, but he certainly thought that Townsend would give more experience to a young team".

When I read the actual quotes (If real) I was more quiet. I think it's not only important to comment the quotes, but how and when were they asked. If the question of the journalist was "are you expecting new signings badly now?" then the answer of "All we can do is wait until the transfer window opens again in January" is a correct way to deflect the question. I see no questions of the jornalist, just selected quotes, with no timing, so I'd rather give no credit to that article.

Alonso hadn't that kind of media around here, the press here is very local and team supporter, and Spanish press such as Marca only does that sensationalism and misleading when they want a player signed for Real Madrid (Gerrard on a Spanish beach, remember?). I hope him not to make the same lack of respect to the squad again, the next time, he'll know better how to deal with the press, if as I think, he didn't mean to say that.

Sabre
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:46 am

scally sally wrote:if things don't progress this year, & that means at least retaining WAFA 's trophy plus a top 4 finish or a another domestic trophy, liverpool will suffer the fate of Spurs in the transfer market

What a pile of horses knackers. What you are suggesting would mean that any manager that fails to win the CL back-to-back AND improve their clubs league position should quit, as they cannot attract better players!!! You utter plonker!  :no

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:15 am

scally sally wrote:Porto were European champions - what happened to them ? everything that got them there was dismantled let alone attract fresh faces to improve...the previous 4 WAFAS don't enter the equation when signing a current day footballer...all very nice look at in hallways on the way to the dressing room or to shake habds with yesterdays heros...but do you think Ronaldhino or Joaquin would even think about joining a club that relied on historical stats from a decade or two ago as opposed to a realistic plan for the future to be at least in the top half of the premiership and with a view to getting into european competition on regular basis taken as a given. if things don't progress this year, & that means at least retaining WAFA 's trophy plus a top 4 finish or a another domestic trophy, liverpool will suffer the fate of Spurs in the transfer market...ie top players will have other more lucrative and attractive teams on their lists before their agent makes up their greedy little minds for them... & whats more is that the situation will only get worse before it gets better. fact.

Go support Chelsea. If you're a Liverpool fan then I'm the king of Spain.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby darwisigila » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:48 am

i hope we don't get new garcia, new kewell, new josemi in jan
darwisigila

Postby cheesecake » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:22 am

darwisigila wrote:i hope we don't get new garcia, new kewell, new josemi in jan

erm...the new and improved (surgically enhanced) kewell should be arriving within the fortnight. I hope the surgery wasnt exploratory to find his heart. fingers crossed.
cheesecake

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:43 am

Great post Leonmc0708 mate :)
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:37 am

This may sound a bit naff, but there should be more fans like Leon.
After what we all know was a really disappointing defeat on sunday the usual doom and gloom merchants are out.
Thread after thread slating different players, and even the manager.
Now i understand that nobody is exempt from criticism...and winning the biggest trophy in club football in your first season will keep some people happy...for about 10 minutes, but a bit of perspective is needed, we have improved our points total based on the results last season.
Until the last 2 games we were not conceding goals really either.
I agree that we need to go 4-4-2 until we have better wide players, but the main point i am making is support the team and lets not get carried away with over the top ambitions.
Chelsea p@ssed the league last season and then brought in Essien SWP Del Horno and brought Crespo back...realistically they are on a different level to everyone at the moment....but give Rafa the time and i am sure we will start closing the gap, and that has to be our priority for now.
Anyway our club needs supporters that will stick by the manager and the players he decides to use, every fan has a right to moan...i just hope they are not the ones at the game...that will only have a negative effect on everyone.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:01 am

Ace Ventura wrote:This may sound a bit naff, but there should be more fans like Leon.
After what we all know was a really disappointing defeat on sunday the usual doom and gloom merchants are out.
Now i understand that nobody is exempt from criticism...and winning the biggest trophy in club football in your first season will keep some people happy...for about 10 minutes, but a bit of perspective is needed, we have improved our points total based on the results last season.
I agree that we need to go 4-4-2 until we have better wide players, but the main point i am making is support the team and lets not get carried away with over the top ambitions.
Chelsea p@ssed the league last season and then brought in Essien SWP Del Horno and brought Crespo back...realistically they are on a different level to everyone at the moment....but give Rafa the time and i am sure we will start closing the gap, and that has to be our priority for now.
Anyway our club needs supporters that will stick by the manager and the players he decides to use, every fan has a right to moan...i just hope they are not the ones at the game...that will only have a negative effect on everyone.

What do you mean after saturday ?
If this forum is anything to judge by , then doom and gloom merchants have been whinging ever since the summer.
Not sure what it is,  over expectation after 25th May or just the fact Everton finished above us.
Rafa is the man but if anyone thought he was going to wave a magic wand and we would be title holders one season later, were deluding themselves.
The Champions league was a huge and very unexpected bonus but people should still be realistic that rebuilding this team is going to take a while and the spending power of Chelski just complicates things
Im gutted we lost 1-4 and that we didnt get our signings targets before window closed. Last season though it was zonal defence problems , Stevie G is he or isnt he going and injury list that looked like it had came off the somme and yet we still got old big ears back at end of that season.
Future is bright and future is Red but i expect there will still be alot of pain before gain
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:20 am

We need quality wide players, simple as, because the players we have at the moment just don't suit this 4-5-1 :(

Joaquin is obviously my first choice :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:23 am

laza wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:This may sound a bit naff, but there should be more fans like Leon.

If this forum is anything to judge by , then doom and gloom merchants have been whinging ever since the summer.
Not sure what it is,  over expectation after 25th May or just the fact Everton finished above us.
Rafa is the man but if anyone thought he was going to wave a magic wand and we would be title holders one season later, were deluding themselves.
The Champions league was a huge and very unexpected bonus but people should still be realistic that rebuilding this team is going to take a while and the spending power of Chelski just complicates things
Im gutted we lost 1-4 and that we didnt get our signings targets before window closed. Last season though it was zonal defence problems , Stevie G is he or isnt he going and injury list that looked like it had came off the somme and yet we still got old big ears back at end of that season.
Future is bright and future is Red but i expect there will still be alot of pain before gain

I never said sat, i said sunday mate  :p
But your right there has been so much complaining and criticising after the biggest result we have had in 20 years.
Some people say its fans that have jumped on the bandwagon and only just started supporting the club, but its not just these fans its others who have higher expectations due to last seasons success.
These are the fans that disappoint me most, they should know better.
Alot may of been around supporting the club through the glory years, and then been hankering for that again right through the 90's, they may feel last season was a false dawn.
But anyone with any sense of realism can see that the club is moving forward under Rafa, lets not expect too much at once though eh.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:37 am

the thing is, winning the champions league raised some fans expectations to an unrealistic level. as magnificent an achievement as it was, it still clouded over the fact that domestically we were garbage. fans who thought that winning the CL all of a sudden meant we had x million to spend on world class players were kidding themselves.

when rafael benitez came in i said that it would take three years for him to mould a side that he wants. getting rid of players he doesn't want is always going to be as hard, if not harder than getting new players in. believe me, top class players will want to come to this club, especially as they know about rafa's reputation, and come january i would expect to see 2-3 new faces coming in.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby laza » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:46 am

Ace Ventura wrote:
laza wrote:

I never said sat, i said sunday mate  :p
But your right there has been so much complaining and criticising after the biggest result we have had in 20 years.
Some people say its fans that have jumped on the bandwagon and only just started supporting the club, but its not just these fans its others who have higher expectations due to last seasons success.
These are the fans that disappoint me most, they should know better.
Alot may of been around supporting the club through the glory years, and then been hankering for that again right through the 90's, they may feel last season was a false dawn.
But anyone with any sense of realism can see that the club is moving forward under Rafa, lets not expect too much at once though eh.

My bad

and amen to the rest  bro
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:52 am

believe me, top class players will want to come to this club, especially as they know about rafa's reputation, and come january i would expect to see 2-3 new faces coming in.

With all due respect, I think that this :censored: of the English media of "the top three" thingy, must not make forget what Liverpool means.  :laugh: People will like to work with Rafa yes, but  Liverpool is Liverpool.

Betis is important team in Spain, yet, Joaquin wants a higher team, such as Madrid, and he has stated already that he'd love to play in Liverpool as he considers it one of the top teams in Europe!

Sabre
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ian Rush's Right foot » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:41 pm

Scoring four at Anfield doesn't make you special. Chesterfield did it in the League Cup in 1992/3 - something the rest of the media seem to have forgotten. Seriously though, at least the international break gives us time to regroup. What I will say about our start is that it's been a pretty tough one and, as some of you have said, we've taken more points from the equivalent fixtures last year.

....I'm the bee's knee, his legs and his arms.....
Ian Rush's Right foot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Rafa Revolution » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:43 pm

the measure of a team is not losing, all the great teams lost once in a while but how we pick ourself up after the defeat. in that respect how we played in the next few games will determine our character and resilience.
Bill Shankly after beating Everton in the '71 cup semi : "Sickness would not have kept me away from this one. If I'd been dead, I would have had them bring the casket to the ground, prop it up in the stands and cut a hole in the lid."
Red Rafa Revolution

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion