Judgement of players

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:03 pm

Riquelme being judged on one level as a great player and then failing miserably on another level is probably the best example we could have for this discussion. As some of you may know he arrived at BArcelona with a massive reputation and the label (one of many players to have this label) of being the new Maradonna. Whether or not the label was too heavy round his neck may have been the reason for his failure we'll only ever be able to draw our own conclusions. His performances have improved ten-fold (domestically) since he left Barca for Villareal but as some of you have noticed he was quite poor in a couple of BIG games against arsenal culminating in missing the match leveling penalty on tuesday. I have the opinion that come the world cup he may just be one of the biggest disappointments of the tournament. I just get the feeling that he is one of these players that has the quality in his locker but when he needs his nerve to hold he just isn't strong enough.

It is this sort of player that hopefully Rafa is able to pick out and avoid like a dose of bird flu. The likelyhood that i forsee is that Rafa will possibly bring in players of a lesser known reputation as this seems to be his strong point when it comes to transfers. How many of you on here can HONESTLY say that you knew more about Alonso than he was a spanish midfielder before we signed him. The same obviously goes for MOMO  and Mark Gonzalez. OK we've all been keeping an eye on gonzo since we signed him but before that we all knew pretty much fook all (Sabre excepted), he may still prove a failure but i think we all somehow know that is a very small possibility from what we've seen.
I think that when it comes to our transfer activity this summer the best bet when players names are linked with LFC we are more likely to see Dirk Kuyt and not Ronaldo sign for us because Rafa will always go for the more hard working player than the big name star. We'll probably see that unknown Croatian (i think) right sided MF sign than Joaquin. This may be met with accusations of going for second best but in reality i belive it will be Rafa going for the player who fits more into the way he wants to see the team play.
It all boils down to we can't rush to judge the player after a couple of performances whether it be in the world cup or in pre-season but we just have to trust in Rafa that he's done his homework; which he has already shown he DOES do.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:18 pm

RUSHIE#9 wrote:Riquelme being judged on one level as a great player and then failing miserably on another level is probably the best example we could have for this discussion. As some of you may know he arrived at BArcelona with a massive reputation and the label (one of many players to have this label) of being the new Maradonna. Whether or not the label was too heavy round his neck may have been the reason for his failure we'll only ever be able to draw our own conclusions. His performances have improved ten-fold (domestically) since he left Barca for Villareal but as some of you have noticed he was quite poor in a couple of BIG games against arsenal culminating in missing the match leveling penalty on tuesday. I have the opinion that come the world cup he may just be one of the biggest disappointments of the tournament.

i agree that he hasn't set the world alight but he still produces moments of class every now and again.

incidentally, i drag this thread back to the top because it's relevant with regards to the opinion of kuyt on here. people can't seriously judge the guy on two games in the world cup when he's played out of position in one and been starved of service in the other.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:24 pm

stmichael wrote:
RUSHIE#9 wrote:Riquelme being judged on one level as a great player and then failing miserably on another level is probably the best example we could have for this discussion. As some of you may know he arrived at BArcelona with a massive reputation and the label (one of many players to have this label) of being the new Maradonna. Whether or not the label was too heavy round his neck may have been the reason for his failure we'll only ever be able to draw our own conclusions. His performances have improved ten-fold (domestically) since he left Barca for Villareal but as some of you have noticed he was quite poor in a couple of BIG games against arsenal culminating in missing the match leveling penalty on tuesday. I have the opinion that come the world cup he may just be one of the biggest disappointments of the tournament.

i agree that he hasn't set the world alight but he still produces moments of class every now and again.

incidentally, i drag this thread back to the top because it's relevant with regards to the opinion of kuyt on here. people can't seriously judge the guy on two games in the world cup when he's played out of position in one and been starved of service in the other.

It's fair enough saying that St Mike, but Kuyt hasn't been able to control a pass to him so far in this world cup let alone have any sort of impact on games.  You can't blame people for doubting he's worth 10 million - I mean it's not as if he has just been average, he's been absolutely stinking and that's no exaggeration.  Maybe he's just having a bad patch, but then again maybe the Dutch league is his level - I certainly wouldn't risk 10 million on the guy, would you?
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:57 pm

john craig wrote:It's fair enough saying that St Mike, but Kuyt hasn't been able to control a pass to him so far in this world cup let alone have any sort of impact on games.  You can't blame people for doubting he's worth 10 million - I mean it's not as if he has just been average, he's been absolutely stinking and that's no exaggeration.  Maybe he's just having a bad patch, but then again maybe the Dutch league is his level - I certainly wouldn't risk 10 million on the guy, would you?

I rate Kuyt but agree he was poor. But look at the support he had. Van Persie and Robben doing a Maradona impersination on each wing and he had Cocu and van Bommel 2 defensive midfield players and Sniejder who was sh#te.

With a couple of decent wide players, a strike partner and support from midfield I reckon he has potential to be a good player for us. His touch was in and out but the way he linked it at times was very good. Don't forget either that was a very very well organised Portugese team and he was up there on his own.

If Rafa still goes for him I'll be happy as I think there's potential for a quality partnership between him and Bellamy. Whether £10m is too much to pay though, only time will tell.
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:26 pm

Kuyt is probably the only player in the world cup shop window whose value has actually gone down, I wouldn't be surprised if Feyenoord had to settle for closer 7 or 8 million now from whoever buys him :laugh:
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red H » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:04 pm

I agree, I don't think Kyut has enhanced his value in the WC.  It seems to me that RB is working to a plan that alternates between 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-2, depanding on competition, oposition, and availabilty.  Bellamy for Cisse looks like a straight swap.  I don't know enough about Kuyt to say if the same could be said in regards to Nando'.  Suffice to say most of RB's teams have played 4-2-3-1 in the past, but this may not always prove succesfull in the EPL, so more flexibility is required.  Alves would be an important aquistion to give us a solid 4-4-2 when required, and take pressure off SG.  It will also be interesting to see if Paul Anderson takes part in the 1st team this term, or any of the other developing players.
Red H

Postby Red H » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:12 pm

I hope we finally get Speedy too.
Red H

Postby clik » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:02 pm

Good call Red H p anderson looks a great prospect although only young i believe he can fill the right sided problem and become a legend hes bright and in youth cup 1st leg he was awesome.
Dreams do come true......Istanbul 2005
clik

Postby Kopite-Jud » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:26 pm

Rafa Knows Best the tallent he is bringin in is immence :p
Kopite-Jud

Postby Good Bob » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:45 pm

Kopite-Jud wrote:Rafa Knows Best the tallent he is bringin in is immence :p

Ye lid innit :D
Good Bob

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:41 pm

It'll once again be interesting to see who stars at this european championships and how much their values skyrocket as a result. There's bound to be at least 2 or 3 player aho nobody's ever heard of who excel themselves on the biggest stage. That's why I was disappointed that Degen didn't start for the Swiss the other day. Would have been good to see the lad play.

I think Arsene Wenger had it right though when he said the other day that he doesn't like the policy of buying of the back of an international tournament. It guarantees nothing.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby duk » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:37 pm

Slightly off topic but who'd have thought that in April 2006 when StMichael wrote:

My point was (which I kind of missed) was that we need to look at players who have both the determination and the class to do it. I don't want to see us settle for second best. If the likes of Kuyt and Torres are our main targets then I'd like to see us go all out to get them. That said, I'd hope Rafa has done their homework on them and ensured that they have the right mentality to make it in the Premiership.

That they would actually be playing in an LFC shirt together 2 years later
duk

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion