Raheem sterling signs for liverpool

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Aussie Style » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:15 am

Liverpool FC today confirmed the signing of England youth international Raheem Sterling from Championship side Queens Park Rangers. The attacking midfielder will join the club's Academy set-up in Kirkby.
Related Links

Managing Director Christian Purslow said: "The success of our Academy is vital to the future progress of the club and we have made clear that we will invest in outstanding young talent.

"Raheem is a very exciting young English player whose progress was being closely monitored by many other leading clubs and I'm delighted he's joining us.

"Frank McParland and his staff have done a great job in bringing him to Liverpool."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/reds-sign-qpr-midfielder
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby Aussie Style » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:21 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1254287/Liverpool-sign-England-starlet-Raheem-Sterling-QPR.html?ITO=1490

Rafa Benitez has beaten Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal and Fulham to sign Queens Park Rangers wonderkid Raheem Sterling.

Exciting talent: Liverpool sign 15-year-old Raheem Sterling from QPR
The 15-year-old striker's prodigious talent has led to comparisons with Wayne Rooney at the same age but Liverpool were the only club willing to guarantee an initial fee of £500,000, with extra payments contingent on his development and appearances.
Sterling, born in Jamaica but an England Under-16 international, has been one of the hottest properties in English football for some time.
QPR reportedly considered making him the youngest first-team player in British football history by giving him his debut at the age of 14.
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:20 am

Aussie Style wrote:The 15-year-old striker's prodigious talent has led to comparisons with Wayne Rooney at the same age but Liverpool were the only club willing to guarantee an initial fee of £500,000, with extra payments contingent on his development and appearances.

What young "prodigious talents" aren't compared to existing and past greats?!? Shame really when we had the chance to sign Ronaldo back before the mancs that Houllier made the stupidest decision of his existence
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leep33 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:35 am

If he is as good as they say then we may have a bargain.
leep33

Postby kazza » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:55 am

Many kids at that age are "hot prospects" but get filtered out by the time they reach 20. Let's hope he lives up to the billing.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:16 am

kazza wrote:Many kids at that age are "hot prospects" but get filtered out by the time they reach 20. Let's hope he lives up to the billing.

Precisely. It shouldn't cost us, I'm sure he must fetch more than what we paid - especially if he triggers clauses. I didn't think kids could sign professional contracts until they are 17, and couldn't they take it to tribunal to set a value?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:25 pm

If they nearly gave him a debut into championship football at 14 then this lad is something very special.
Fauxy

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:00 pm

Seems we beat a lot of top clubs in securing his signature, hopefully he'll live up to expectations. I'm not gonna get too excited about it right now, how many times have we seen a "star of the future" fade away.

Anybody remember this fella ?
He was noticed by Italian football clubs, including Inter Milan, who discussed a six-figure offer for him that was turned down by his mother on the advice of his agents. He was only ten years old at that time.

Freddy Adu

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:56 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Seems we beat a lot of top clubs in securing his signature, hopefully he'll live up to expectations. I'm not gonna get too excited about it right now, how many times have we seen a "star of the future" fade away.

He was noticed by Italian football clubs, including Inter Milan, who discussed a six-figure offer for him that was turned down by his mother on the advice of his agents. He was only ten years old at that time.

Freddy Adu

ah, I remember Freddy 'no one knows how old he is' Adu  :laugh:
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:20 am

Still if he was contending for a start at the age of 14 he must have something special.
The fee cant actually be a transfer fee Im sure if he`s only 15 although it amounts to the same thing.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:30 am

7_Kewell wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:Seems we beat a lot of top clubs in securing his signature, hopefully he'll live up to expectations. I'm not gonna get too excited about it right now, how many times have we seen a "star of the future" fade away.

Freddy Adu

That was Obafemi Martins, no?  :D
LFC2007

Postby Owzat » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:09 am

We should do a leprechaun special and place a £30m price tag on him and compare him to Lionel Messi :laugh:
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:50 pm

Video of Raheem doing some nice skills on soccer a.m

He shoulda won! The other bloke was playin netball ffs :D
Fauxy

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:35 am

LFC2007 wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:

Freddy Adu

its both of them. There were lots of rumours that Adu lied about his age, and it would make sense because his ability hasn't progressed much over the last few years.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Octsky » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:49 am

7_Kewell wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:

Freddy Adu

its both of them. There were lots of rumours that Adu lied about his age, and it would make sense because his ability hasn't progressed much over the last few years.

Theo Wilcott (spelling) is another example.
started for Southampton at 17-18, ran more than half the pitch and scored.

did not impress at Gooners, he is like MOwen, only without shooting boots on. how he scored a hat trick against Croatia will be one of the biggest international mystery of all time.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion