Rafa signs new contact - Exclusive!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby sundy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:19 pm

Rafa Benitez has signed a contract extension with Liverpool FC, keeping him at the club until 2014.
The Liverpool Manager has extended his current deal, which took him to the end of next season, by a further four years.

"My heart is with Liverpool Football Club, so I'm delighted to sign this new deal," said Rafa. "I love the club, the fans and the city and with a club like this and supporters like this, I could never say no to staying. I always made clear I wanted to be here for a long time and when I complete my new contract it will mean I have spent over a decade in Liverpool.

"The club is greatly respected around the world due to its incredible history and tremendous heritage. It is my aim to uphold those values and help create a new chapter in our history.

"Throughout this process, I would like to thank the owners for their hard work in finalising the deal. All of us at the club want the same thing, which is to be successful by winning major trophies."

The completion of contract talks with Rafa is the third major boost for Liverpool fans in recent days, coming after fabulous wins against Real Madrid in the Champions League and Manchester United in the Premier League. The 4-1 win at Old Trafford saw Rafa achieve 100 league wins in the third fastest period of time for a Liverpool manager, surpassing Bill Shankly.

Liverpool Co-Chairman Tom Hicks said: "It is wonderful news that Rafa has made a long-term commitment to the football club. Since he became Manager in 2004, he has been responsible for the great progress we have made. I know he will continue to build on his achievements as he has a tremendous hunger and desire to bring more success to the club - success our fans and everyone connected with the club deserves."

Co-Chairman George Gillett added: "With Rafa continuing to manage the team, we can look forward to more great football and success on the pitch. He has special abilities and qualities which are admired here at the club and around the world. Coming after our excellent wins over Real Madrid and Manchester United, this gives us great momentum going into the final stages of the season."

Rafa joined The Reds in 2004 following a successful period in charge of Spanish club Valencia, who he guided to two La Liga titles and a UEFA Cup success.

While he has been at the helm, Liverpool won the UEFA Champions League in Istanbul in 2005, the FA Cup the following year and reached another Champions League final in Athens in 2007. He has also overseen success in both the UEFA Super Cup and Community Shield.

The club are currently the number one team in Europe according to UEFA's co-efficient ranking system, based on results over the past five years in European competition.
sundy

Postby tubby » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:21 pm

Did this really warrant a new thread? Mods lock this down.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:21 pm

It would be important news, but what's the source of the exclusive mate?

Thank you!
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sundy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:22 pm

ALways someone :censored: moanin!!
Our manager just signed for 4 years..........
But if u say so Bav

???
sundy

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:24 pm

As said in the other thread (where Bav anounced it first :D  )

All we can do now is forget the infighting and back the manager. I think its a mistake to make this decision at this time, but the decision is made...... time to move on.
account deleted by request

Postby tubby » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:24 pm

I said so becasue there is a thread for this which has been going on for months now...

Sabre source is official website mate. :D

Wasnt having a pop at you Sundy mate btw.  :D
Last edited by tubby on Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sundy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:24 pm

Apologies Sabre, I saw it on the main site and said id post it up here,just for anyone that hadn't seen it.
Take it down if Rafa signing a new contract doesn't warrent its own thread
sundy

Postby Sabre » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:24 pm

bavlondon wrote:Did this really warrant a new thread? Mods lock this down.

Where did you announce it bab?

In the take over thread? (I don't read that one everytime I login)
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:25 pm

sundy wrote:Apologies Sabre, I saw it on the main site and said id post it up here,just for anyone that hadn't seen it.
Take it down if Rafa signing a new contract doesn't warrent its own thread

No mate, thank you!, you've converted this night from good to great!!  :D

Huzzah!!
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:26 pm

Yeah in there. But it doesn't matter he important thing is I brought breaking news on 5live to Newkit before Lakes. :laugh: Only messing Lakes.

So probably Kuyt will sign a new contract also.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zidane » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:26 pm

This is huge, hopefully in a good way unfortunately i'm still on the fence about it. :(

Either way, big news.  And don't get me wrong I want nothing more than for Rafa to succeed but yeah.
Zidane

Postby Sabre » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:27 pm

Credit for Bav to be the faster then.

But it deserves a new thread IMHO!
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:29 pm

Im really happy for him. I wonder if the details of the contract will come out in regards to were there any points that the owners could not agree on?

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:33 pm

Benitez signs new deal
Rafa delight after he pens five-year contract

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has ended speculation about his future by signing a new five-year contract.

Benitez's current deal was due to expire at the end of the season and talks over new a contract had stalled.

The Spaniard had turned down numerous offers from the club, but he has now agreed terms and put pen-to-paper on his deal, which will be huge relief to the club's fans.

Benitez admitted he was 'delighted' to have committed his future to the Merseyside giants - who he joined in 2004.

"My heart is with Liverpool football club, so I'm delighted to sign this new deal," said Benitez.

"I love the club, the fans and the city and with a club like this and supporters like this, I could never say no to staying. I always made clear I wanted to be here for a long time and when I complete my new contract it will mean I have spent over a decade in Liverpool.

"The club is greatly respected around the world due to its incredible history and tremendous heritage. It is my aim to uphold those values and help create a new chapter in our history.

"Throughout this process, I would like to thank the owners for their hard work in finalising the deal.

"All of us at the club want the same thing, which is to be successful by winning major trophies."
Unity

In a rare show of unity - Liverpool's co-chairman Tom Hicks and George Gillett both greeted the news that Benitez had finally agreed terms.

Hicks said: "It is wonderful news that Rafa has made a long-term commitment to the football club. Since he became Manager in 2004, he has been responsible for the great progress we have made. I know he will continue to build on his achievements as he has a tremendous hunger and desire to bring more success to the club - success our fans and everyone connected with the club deserves."

Gillett added: "With Rafa continuing to manage the team, we can look forward to more great football and success on the pitch. He has special abilities and qualities which are admired here at the club and around the world. Coming after our excellent wins over Real Madrid and Manchester United, this gives us great momentum going into the final stages of the season."
Last edited by tubby on Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:34 pm

great news , all those saying he will walk out where wrong and the journos going on about looking for a move to madrid all wrong as well . Lets now take the next step together as a club .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion