Rafa signs new contact - Exclusive!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:21 pm

Ciggy wrote:
zarababe wrote:Awww everyone looks happy - and for those who said Sammy would be leavin pffft !

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N163663090319-1230.htm

When did Messi sign for us ? third photo down

He's on a 2 week trial.  :D
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:23 pm

Alex G. wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Rafael Benitez given £30m Liverpool war chest

Oliver Kay, Football Correspondent

Rafael Benítez will be given at least £30 million to spend on new players this summer as he embarks on his mission to restore Liverpool to pre-eminence in English football after signing a new five-year contract.

The Spaniard retains a slight hope of overhauling Manchester United in the Barclays Premier League this season as well as making another serious challenge for the Champions League, where Liverpool and the three other English clubs will discover their quarter-final opponents this morning, but he is also building for next season. His scouts are compiling reports on several wingers, including Aaron Lennon, of Tottenham Hotspur, and Antonio Valencia, of Wigan Athletic, as well as looking for a centre forward who can fill the void left by Robbie Keane’s departure.

The Liverpool manager was criticised for selling Keane back to Tottenham in January and not replacing him, but the minimum £10 million fee raised in that deal has boosted this summer’s transfer budget to £30 million. The club’s American owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr, have also allowed Benítez to reinvest any money raised by selling players such as Andrea Dossena and Philipp Degen, and offloading Jermaine Pennant and Andriy Voronin, who are on loan at Portsmouth and Hertha Berlin respectively. Further funds could be generated from prize money in this season’s Champions League.

Another priority is to secure the long-term futures of several of his squad and, while the priorities are Daniel Agger, Dirk Kuyt, Álvaro Arbeloa and Fábio Aurélio, whose deals expire in 15 months, Benítez has already pledged to give Fernando Torres a pay rise. The Spain striker will be offered an improvement on the £90,000-a-week, six-year contract he signed when he joined from Atlético Madrid in 2007, reflecting his status as one of the best strikers in the world.

Benítez inquired about Lennon, 21, during negotiations in the deal that took Keane to Tottenham and his interest has increased with the youngster’s impressive form in recent weeks, but other candidates, such as Valencia and David Silva, the Valencia midfield player, are under consideration. He is also casting his net wide in search of a centre forward, but David Villa, Silva’s team-mate, is out of Liverpool’s price range and is in any case expected to move to Barcelona or Real Madrid.

Under the terms of his new contract, which is worth £4.75 million a year, Benítez will have far greater control over transfers than last summer, when his bid to sign Gareth Barry from Aston Villa was vetoed by the board. But Hicks was eager to emphasise that the manager will have to work with a chief executive when a replacement for Rick Parry, who is standing down in the summer, is found. “I sat down with Rafa a couple of months ago and he made it very clear that he knows a manager can’t have control over the transfer budget,” Hicks said. “He has had his frustrations over the last five years but he will make the recommendations about which players we sign and the new CEO, the owners and the board will make the final financial commitment. And that is the way it needs to be.”

Benítez has secured written assurances that add to his power at the club. He has been promised overall control of football matters, including, significantly, the youth academy, which has been outside his remit. These concessions from the board were instrumental in his rejection of overtures from suitors such as Atlético Madrid, an Italian club and an unofficial approach from a third party claiming to represent a Premier League club, thought to be Chelsea or Manchester City. Contrary to popular belief, he did not receive nor encourage an approach from Real Madrid, who, with Benítez committed to Liverpool, are expected to try to entice Carlo Ancelotti from AC Milan.

30 million is not enough to compete against the transatlantics of United and Chelsea. We are one or two steps behind of them.

Liverpool needs a new stadium, 45.000 spectators is little.

Yeah that is basically what he already has isnt it. Again even with the 'warchest' that is what Fergie would probably spend on 1 player and get a bit of change.

Im wondering is this money including any generated from sales? If so that is f.ecking :censored:. If not we should be able to generate a bit from selling the deadwood and other :censored: lying around. But still you are right that is not enough. He needs to spend probably in the region of £60Mil just to get decent quality in the needed positions in the first place.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alex G. » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:33 pm

bavlondon wrote:
Alex G. wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Rafael Benitez given £30m Liverpool war chest

Oliver Kay, Football Correspondent

Rafael Benítez will be given at least £30 million to spend on new players this summer as he embarks on his mission to restore Liverpool to pre-eminence in English football after signing a new five-year contract.

The Spaniard retains a slight hope of overhauling Manchester United in the Barclays Premier League this season as well as making another serious challenge for the Champions League, where Liverpool and the three other English clubs will discover their quarter-final opponents this morning, but he is also building for next season. His scouts are compiling reports on several wingers, including Aaron Lennon, of Tottenham Hotspur, and Antonio Valencia, of Wigan Athletic, as well as looking for a centre forward who can fill the void left by Robbie Keane’s departure.

The Liverpool manager was criticised for selling Keane back to Tottenham in January and not replacing him, but the minimum £10 million fee raised in that deal has boosted this summer’s transfer budget to £30 million. The club’s American owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr, have also allowed Benítez to reinvest any money raised by selling players such as Andrea Dossena and Philipp Degen, and offloading Jermaine Pennant and Andriy Voronin, who are on loan at Portsmouth and Hertha Berlin respectively. Further funds could be generated from prize money in this season’s Champions League.

Another priority is to secure the long-term futures of several of his squad and, while the priorities are Daniel Agger, Dirk Kuyt, Álvaro Arbeloa and Fábio Aurélio, whose deals expire in 15 months, Benítez has already pledged to give Fernando Torres a pay rise. The Spain striker will be offered an improvement on the £90,000-a-week, six-year contract he signed when he joined from Atlético Madrid in 2007, reflecting his status as one of the best strikers in the world.

Benítez inquired about Lennon, 21, during negotiations in the deal that took Keane to Tottenham and his interest has increased with the youngster’s impressive form in recent weeks, but other candidates, such as Valencia and David Silva, the Valencia midfield player, are under consideration. He is also casting his net wide in search of a centre forward, but David Villa, Silva’s team-mate, is out of Liverpool’s price range and is in any case expected to move to Barcelona or Real Madrid.

Under the terms of his new contract, which is worth £4.75 million a year, Benítez will have far greater control over transfers than last summer, when his bid to sign Gareth Barry from Aston Villa was vetoed by the board. But Hicks was eager to emphasise that the manager will have to work with a chief executive when a replacement for Rick Parry, who is standing down in the summer, is found. “I sat down with Rafa a couple of months ago and he made it very clear that he knows a manager can’t have control over the transfer budget,” Hicks said. “He has had his frustrations over the last five years but he will make the recommendations about which players we sign and the new CEO, the owners and the board will make the final financial commitment. And that is the way it needs to be.”

Benítez has secured written assurances that add to his power at the club. He has been promised overall control of football matters, including, significantly, the youth academy, which has been outside his remit. These concessions from the board were instrumental in his rejection of overtures from suitors such as Atlético Madrid, an Italian club and an unofficial approach from a third party claiming to represent a Premier League club, thought to be Chelsea or Manchester City. Contrary to popular belief, he did not receive nor encourage an approach from Real Madrid, who, with Benítez committed to Liverpool, are expected to try to entice Carlo Ancelotti from AC Milan.

30 million is not enough to compete against the transatlantics of United and Chelsea. We are one or two steps behind of them.

Liverpool needs a new stadium, 45.000 spectators is little.

Yeah that is basically what he already has isnt it. Again even with the 'warchest' that is what Fergie would probably spend on 1 player and get a bit of change.

Im wondering is this money including any generated from sales? If so that is f.ecking :censored:. If not we should be able to generate a bit from selling the deadwood and other :censored: lying around. But still you are right that is not enough. He needs to spend probably in the region of £60Mil just to get decent quality in the needed positions in the first place.

How much can we get from Voronin, Dossena, Leiva and Degen??

13 millions??
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:35 pm

well degen wont be sold and if so we would get feck all for him - voronin prob anything from 5 mil upwards - lucas wont be sold unless we get barry cheap and not sure about dossena yet
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:39 pm

Dont expect any money for Degen. Wages saved I guess. We will probably get 2Mil for Voronin. Not sure if Levia will even be sold but if he did I wouldn't have through more than 3 - 4 and that is being optimistic. Dossena probably 6Mil. If Dossena can carry on playing how he has been it may be worth keeping him (obviously as a LW not a LB).

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:54 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:I'm still grinning like a Cheshire cat at this.

Finally we have the stability which success is built on. :)

Inshallah :)
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:33 pm

Alex G. wrote:13 millions??

Simples!

:D
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alex G. » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:41 pm

Effes wrote:
Alex G. wrote:13 millions??

Simples!

No, just a dreamer. :D
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:11 pm

STAFF FOLLOW BENITEZ LEAD   Posted 27/03/09

The feelgood factor at Anfield increased still further on Friday as five members of Liverpool's backroom staff followed manager Rafael Benitez in committing their long-term futures to the club.

Nine days ago, Benitez signed until 2014 following weeks of speculation over his demands and vision for the best way forward after a couple of turbulent seasons on Merseyside.

The Spaniard's lead has now been followed by assistant manager Sammy Lee, first-team coach Mauricio Pellegrino, goalkeeping coach Xavi Valero, fitness coach Paco de Miguel and chief scout Eduardo Macia - all of whom have agreed contract extensions of at least two years.

"I said when I signed my own deal recently that it was a priority to sort out the future of the technical staff," said Benitez.

"We work extremely well as a team, and continuity is essential if we are to build on the progress we have made this season and move the club further forward.

"I'm delighted we have been able to sort out the contracts."

The news caps a miraculous March for Liverpool, who have thrashed Manchester United and Aston Villa to re-enter the Barclays Premier League title race and also battered Real Madrid 5-0 on aggregate in the Champions League.

Benitez's new deal appeared to reinvigorate everyone at Anfield and the developments will only add to the belief that Liverpool are building towards a successful future - whether the title is secured this season or not.

One man who looks unlikely to be part of the club's plans, however, is Valencia star David Silva - whom Benitez distanced himself from this afternoon.

Reports this week suggested the Reds, led by Macia, were preparing a bid for the highly-rated playmaker - whose current employers are struggling under the weight of their massive debt.

Silva, 23 - who can operate as a winger, attacking midfielder or second striker - appears certain to leave the Spanish club this summer.

But it will not be to join the Reds, according to Benitez, who revealed he is not among the list of close-season targets being prepared by the Anfield hierarchy.

"We will not be signing him," he said.

"We are working hard, talking with the scouting department and looking at names and options for next season.

"It's still too soon (to identify definite targets)."

Liverpool could go top of the Premier League in eight days' time if they manage to avoid defeat at Fulham.

But Benitez has called for focus from players and supporters, who would be forgiven for dreaming of a first title in 19 years after recent performances.

"Football can change very quickly, and that is why we say it is important to just take one game at a time," he told www.liverpoolfc.tv.

"Everything can change each week, and maybe next week we can be at the top again.

"My message to the fans is to keep calm. I can see the people have a lot of confidence at the moment, and that is good.

"We have to stay positive and see what happens."
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:13 am

I still say that whole Silva thing is just a smokescreen. But then again I would be saying the same thing if I were him.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:23 am

"My message to the fans is to keep calm"

I agree Rafa.

The best thing is to keep calm. Everything will be  right if Bermenstein opens the next match thread.

Where is Bermenstein, BTW

Bermenstein?

BERMENSTEIN? ???

WHERE THE HELL IS BERMENSTEIN FFS, HOW CAN I BE CALM IF HE'S NOT AROUND

Don't you dare to open an early thread if you're not Bermenstein  :suspect:

Last edited by Sabre on Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:28 am

Hes become our lucky mascot. :D

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:28 am

Sabre wrote:
"My message to the fans is to keep calm"

I agree Rafa.

The best thing is to keep calm. Everything will be  right if Bermenstein opens the next match thread.

Where is Bermenstein, BTW

Bermenstein?

BERMENSTEIN? ???

WHERE THE HELL IS BERMENSTEIN FFS, HOW CAN I BE CALM IF HE'S NOT AROUND

Don't you dare to open an early thread if you're not Bermenstein  :suspect:

Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KennyisGod....still » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:51 am

bavlondon wrote:Hes become our lucky mascot. :D

does that mean he's gonna be runnin out holdin Stevie's hand next home game?  :p   :help
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sundy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:12 pm

Rafael Benitez has revealed he considered leaving Liverpool before signing his new five-year deal in March.

The Spaniard revealed his growing frustration with the way the club was being run under American pair Tom Hicks and George Gillett almost saw him leave as speculation grew over his future.

But with Hicks and Gillett patching up their relationship and chief executive Rick Parry heading for the exit, Benitez signed a new deal to stay at the club until 2014.

"It is true that at times I may have thought about my future," Benitez told the Daily Mail.

"There was a lot of uncertainty at the club but when you put all of these things together and the fact I am sure we can improve, there was no doubt in my mind.

"It will be easier now the contract is done. Once you sign a contract you know you can start thinking about the future. That is why it was important to get it done as soon as possible.

"The uncertainty at the club was the only thing on my mind before. But delaying the decision before saying yes at the end of the season would have been worse for everyone because we would have lost some of our transfer targets or certainly been at a disadvantage.

"link
sundy

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion