Rafa eyes two more signings

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Alonso14 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:34 pm

Steve Hunter 30 July 2005

Rafael Benitez wants to make two more new signings by the end of next week with a right winger and a centre half his prime targets. 
The Liverpool manager says he is happy with the way his squad is shaping up but he wants to make it even stronger with more reinforcements.

Benitez said: "I am very happy with the squad, with the way they are working in training and in matche and I am happy with the new players. But I am still looking for a centre back and a right winger and we need to bring these players in during the next seven days."

The Liverpool manager will not be drawn on names of who his targets are and has yet to rule out a possible swoop for Real Madrid star Luis Figo.

Benitez said: "I always say that a player is not yours until he has actually been signed. We have alternatives to these players and my idea is to always be looking at all your options."

The Liverpool manager says he is happy with the pre-season so far and believes with hard work and good football the Reds could have a good season.

Benitez said: "I am realistic. I always think about winning the next game and nothing else. I know it will be difficult but it you start the season winning games then it helps your confidence and your performance.

"We have a better squad than last season and we have a lot of hungry players who want to win. If the players continue working as hard in training as they have been doing then I can dream of the possibilities.

"We have forwards who bring different qualities and different possibilities to the team and it is good when they score goals. But it is also important that we get goals from the midfield and even from the defenders, and this has been happening.

"We are scoring a lot of goals so I am not too worried about goals we have conceded. When you look at the goals we have conceded some have come at the start of games but most have come at the end of matches which we have been two or three goals ahead and our players have been looking for more goals.

"That comes down to concentration and this will improve as the players fitness improves and they are more ready for matches."

Benitez also wanted to thank the Liverpool fans for their fantastic support to the team as on Tuesday night more than 350 Reds fans were in Kaunas for the Champions League qualifier.

Benitez said: "When I was manager of other teams and we played pre-season games away from Spain we would sometimes have 10 or 20 fans with us. But at Liverpool it is different. There are usually hundreds of fans wherever and whenever we play.

"This is something that is very special and something that the players and myself really appreciate. It is one of the reasons why I always say we have the best supporters in the world."

The Reds boss also says he was flattered by favourable comments from the chairman David Moores about him.

Benitez said: "I am flattered by what the chairman has said but I prefer only to look at my next challenge and not to look too far ahead. But I am really happy at the moment." 

----------- Source: Liverpoolfc.tv ----------------------

Who do you think he has in mind?

Right wing i wouldnt mind seeing a bit of steed malbraque (spelling?), as the possibilty of Figo seems to be slim.

he also has premership expericene which would also make him ideal, somewhere in the region of £5m?

Center Back would maybe Jorge Andraes or Matt Upson i guess.

I couldnt think of too many other right wingers really unless he has someone in mind from spain.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MCYan » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:29 pm

Perhaps hes gonna bring in someone like Nunez/Josemi
MCYan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1093441336 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:28 pm

Hetinga and casttelan should be bought for the two positions, But not Upson he is slow, as slow as Hyypia - what good is that? we need vairety. No to Figo aswell, he had his chance!
109-1093441336

Postby Redtribe » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:23 pm

Upson is slow??
Where did you get that nugget from? Was i when you didn't see him play by chance?
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1093441336 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:17 pm

Redtribe wrote:Upson is slow??
Where did you get that nugget from? Was i when you didn't see him play by chance?

Upson is strong and big, but so is Hyypia. We need a pacy centre back to compliment the other two.  rafa likes a high line so getting another defender with slow recovery isn't going to change anything. We'll still get moments when the opposition play a high ball over the top for a speedy striker (and there are plenty of them in the prem) to run onto for a one on one with the goalie, i dont want to see this weakness exposed again, alright nugget.
109-1093441336

Postby A.B. » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:17 pm

Why would he get somebody like Nunez/Josemi when he's sold Nunez?
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Afroman » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:51 pm

A.B. wrote:

Why would he get somebody like Nunez/Josemi when he's sold Nunez?

I think he means someone :censored:
Afroman
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:33 pm

i have dug up some information for our next possible right winger.
i am not saying we will get this bloke, the chance of getting him are quite slim.....BUT
rafa has been said to be INTERESTED in this lad, (quotes and everything!)
this has got me quite excited!  :wwww  <-- (this is ment to be my excited face!)

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.as....ll_home
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mikopool » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:45 pm

by Lucas Brown -  created on 6 May 2005

Since then, he has signed an extension with his current club.
" Some people say football is a matter of life and death, I don't like this attitude, I can assure them, its much more serious then that "

- Billy Shanks.

For life.
mikopool

Postby El Nino_#9 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:48 pm

:( OH WELL! wishful thinking i suppose................. :sniffle
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:49 pm

I think Benitez might be after Juanfran from Real Madrid, he's a young talented winger and he wanted him during the Owen deal but Madrid threw in Nunez instead :angry:
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby El Nino_#9 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:52 pm

do you know if this juan fran is any good???
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:59 pm

do you know if this juan fran is any good???

He's done well for the Spanish U-21, I think he scored a couple of goals in the World Championship. All I know is that Benitez has been trying to sign him for a while.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby cptrios » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:28 pm

Also, that Hobbs kid is apparently signing for 750,000 in August. One for the future, I know, but still a good sign as to the efforts to build up the club's youth system.
cptrios

Postby red187 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:17 am

Btw Upson isnt slow when he was at arsenal he was the second fastest sprinter behind henry, 1 of those personal stats the clubs release
red187

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion