Parry admits gerrard problems - Cheif exec hopes to sort it out

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:34 pm

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry has admitted for the first time that Reds captain Steven Gerrard is unhappy at Anfield.

The England midfielder has told Parry that he was not satisfied with how things were developing at the club as he wants the club to meet his own ambitions.

The speculation has raised doubts about Gerrard's long-term future with Chelsea and Manchester United both strongly linked with the powerhouse midfielder.

Parry admitted that one of the first tasks of new Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez will be to persuade Gerrard that his goals can be met at the club.

"The next priority is for Rafa and I meet to meet Stevie and try to persuade him that his future is at this club," said Parry.

"I spoke to him three weeks ago and it was clear that he was not happy. He was down and he wants success.

"His feelings were fairly deep-seated and they were not expressed idly.

"We will do everything we can to persuade him that his future here, but we are not complacent.

"Hopefully the appointment of Rafa Benitez as our new manager will swing things our way with Stevie.

"Realistically, players have to be happy and we can't force anybody to stay at the club against their wishes, but there is no way we want to sell him and we sincerely hope that he stays."

"It isn't about money with Stevie. Medals are important to him and he told me that he doesn't want to be here at 35 having not won anything.

"Finishing fourth in The Premiership is not an achievement in his eyes, but we are with him on that.

"You can't knock his ambition but hopefully medals won with Liverpool will mean more to him than medals won anywhere else."

What I dont understand is why he signed a four year deal, halfway thru last season, knowing the position we where in, and now someone shows some intrest, ie Chelsea he has changed his mind.

I am frankly disguisted in Stevie, and I would sell him now.

I feel sick about the way he has handled the situation, and the way he is treating the club.

I simply cant belive it.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:36 pm

leon, i suggest you read my thread on "gerrards ego" and see if you agree with my view. ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:44 pm

I agree with you completley on the ego thing lad, I read it yesterday, and I have been burning up inside since I first read the reports this week, I didnt post any reply cus I wanted to wait to get an official line.

The anger is only overcome by the ernormous feeling of betrayl, it would be easier to take if our kid ran off with my missus and my season ticket.

Again, I will wait to hear what Stevie has got to say, but right now its nothing but contempt I feel.

If only I could have ten minutes in the ring with the gobsh*te agent putting these ideas in his head.
Last edited by Leonmc0708 on Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:01 pm

what i can't understand is that if gerrard wants to "win things", then why is he going to chelsea? they've won one trophy of note in their history and that was in 1955.

i hear that he has been offered £120,000 a week. yes that's £120,000 a week. i'm sorry, but that sort of money is f#cking ludicrous. :angry:
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Paul C » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:10 pm

I can understand that he wants to win things but Liverpool got rid of GH cos they have the same opinions as SG that we weren't going in the right direction, he's only young and should stay with us for another season or two and if were still in the same situation then look to leave.  :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:28 pm

:( :( :(
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jimmyb » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:44 pm

its gonna be hard watching stevie this afternoon with england. right now i just feel contempt for the fella i,d like to sit in a room with sg and mo to see what they,re saying about the new boss. will they give him a chance?
jimmyb

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:03 pm

Could not agree more with you Jimbo.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:14 pm

I think both of em shpid give Liverpool 2 more seasons to see if they are going to win stuff. SG, if you think Chelski are where to go to win stuff then your having a laugh.. Mouriniho could be gone by Christmas, he left Benfica because of interference from the chaiman, and anyone who seriously believe Abramovich will keep his counsel is looped. The only reason anyone would go to Chelsea is for the money imo because there is no heritagae to the club.... god I hate this speculation
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:14 pm

The uncertainty lately hasnt helped this situation at all but with Benitez now in control I hope we now see an end to the speculation as SG and MO say its not the money and we now have a manager who has clearly stated he is here to win things.

If this is still going on in a weeks time then as sad as it may be we might have seen the last of those two in a red shirt.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:58 pm

They can both ****** off now. Am sick of the two of them to be honest.

We've got enough quality without them to re-build and still be a good position next season.

Whats more important we have a superb manager in place who has won things without world class players.

Love the club do ya? ******!!!
115-1073096938

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:00 pm

Said that out of anger, didn't feel the same pleasure seeing Steven just score though.

:(
115-1073096938

Postby JohnBull » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:01 pm

Well said Stu.
Benitez is his own man and I've great faith in his ability to get the best out of players, either the ones who stay or the ones he brings in.
Any money off the sales should open up interesting avenues for the New Boss.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jack66 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:45 pm

Must admit that when gerrard ran into the box just before he scored tonight, all i wanted him to do was slip on his backside and make a ****** of himself..:D
jack66

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:08 pm

Its strange that, I thought the same. I hope its all paper talk, cus I loved that lad more than my mother at times last season.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion