Owens injuries

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Paul C » Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:53 pm

Do you think it's worth keeping Owen cos he's only ever fit for half of the season, at least we'll have good replacements with Cisse, Baros and Pongolle.

Personally I think Owen is a great player but I think it's time both he and the club moved on while we can get good money for him.  ???
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ICE-MAN » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:01 pm

he is good to have though in fairness, but he does look terrible of late, but i think its a lack of service to him and a lack of commitment on his behalf, he just seems to wander around the pitch half the time lately, but i would still like to keep him cos when he's on form (eventually) he can be devastatingly brilliant!
so keep him i reckon just get him to get the finger out of his a#se and get other people to set him up more, him and cisse will be a very good partnership i have a great feeling about that! :cool:
ICE-MAN

Postby redman25 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:30 pm

ice-man do you not think cisse is coming to replace owen?  His body language on the pitch tells me he is going.
redman25

Postby JBG » Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:09 pm

The two main problems with Owen as I see it are:

1. the team does not always play to his strengths.

2. We never put in place a guy who can carry the burden while Owen has been injured. People who say that Baros and Pongolle are good substitutes are denying the fact that when Owen is missing we don't score goals. Baros is getting their and Pongolle looks a good prospect but neither are capable as yet of doing the business week in, week out for Liverpool.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dalglish » Sat May 01, 2004 12:50 am

Owens body language says "I'm p#ssed Off" more than it says "i'm lacking in confidence" and who would blame him !!!!! No service , no PROVEN Goalscorer at his side and defending opposition corners from inside the LFC penalty box !!!!

I still maintain his decisions will be based more on our position in the Prem come May 15th than anything else. 4th and I believe he will stay , 5th and he's off!!!!!!!
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sat May 01, 2004 2:03 pm

I agree with the first part of Dalglish's post here.

As to the second I'm not too sure. Of course from a purely football point of view Owen could not be a happy chappie but I think he must be happy financially (especially if he signs the new contract offered to him) so I don't think he'll move for money.

Another consideration which people over look is Owen's family. He seems to be a family man and is settled in the North West and he might not want to up root his family just yet.

Also, he could be looking at Beckham and the disasterous effects Becks' move to Madrid had on his family.

However, if Owen was happy to move his family then its shittin' bricks time as he cannot be happy with the developments on the field over the past 2 years.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby dawson99 » Sat May 01, 2004 2:12 pm

We need to stop playing long high balls all the time for owen, hes not the iggest lad and although he has great speed he wont win everything in the air. With more balls getting to Owen's feet he will do alot better. I think hes feeling alot like the rest of us, purely frustrated. He wont move i dont think either, he likes where he lives, hes brought his entire town more or less anyways!
come on u reds :blues:
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat May 01, 2004 6:14 pm

Paul C wrote:Do you think it's worth keeping Owen cos he's only ever fit for half of the season, at least we'll have good replacements with Cisse, Baros and Pongolle.

Personally I think Owen is a great player but I think it's time both he and the club moved on while we can get good money for him.  ???

Great idea Paul.

Should we also sell Garrard and Kewell and Sami and then we can truly move on.

THIS IS SARCSTIC
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Tue May 04, 2004 8:59 am

All I was trying to point out is that our team plays around Owen so when he's not there we struggle, Owen is a great player but we loose him for about 2 months a season through injuries  :(

I was just asking peoples opinion to see if you think we should cash in while we can.  ???
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby swiss_kopite » Tue May 04, 2004 9:51 am

what we should get is a creative central midfielder (my suggestion: someone like johan micoud) who could play more good passes to owen! like this, owen wouldn't have to carry the whole burden, so i'm quite sure he'll even score more.
swiss_kopite

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue May 04, 2004 10:34 am

Paul, do you believe we'd be in this position if Owen wasn't there?
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue May 04, 2004 1:38 pm

First thing with Owen is that he is injury prone but I don't think we can sell him on that basis.

The next thing is that Owen has struggled to be part of an effective goal scoring partnership, for Liverpool or England. He plays best with Heskey but Heskey don't score enough goals, he dosen't work that well with Baros and can't play up front by himself.

Owen really has to play well with Cisse, or people will start asking whether he is causing problems to our play.

But I think he will play well with Cisse. Cisse is reasonably big and strong, good in the air, quick, can score goals and is established in the France squad. I beieve if they get games together they will be a very effective partnership.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue May 04, 2004 1:42 pm

cisse scored again last night for auxerre with a bullet header. the guy looks really good in the air which will be a good foil for owen. he's also faster than henry according to some french guys i was talking to the other day. it's a shame he's banned from euro 2004 so we can't really see what he can do on the big stage.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue May 04, 2004 1:49 pm

May be a good thing as he will be rested up for that start of the season.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ozzie1000 » Tue May 04, 2004 2:15 pm

well said has,a striker needs a suitable strike partner like henry bergkamp, the chelsea lads,not that bthey are doing all that great and now saha and nistlerooy, lets hope cisse and owen link up well
for both of them
ozzie1000

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion