One of the boys - When shanks stood on the kop

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby oldredeyes » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:45 pm

I wonder how many modern managers would have the confidence that Shanks had or the fantastic bond with the fans.
When Liverpool won the championship in 1964, the first game of the next season was the Charity Shield game against West Ham. Shanks spent most of the match standing in the Kop talking to the fans about the team and what they wanted to see happening at the club. He had a great presence and the fans just adored him. He also listened to the fans and loved the Liverpool people. He once said 'I may be a Scot but I'd be proud to be called a Scouser'.
A great man who makes the modern day managers look poor in comparison. Shanks knew that if he could lift the fans they in turn would lift the team. He was right. I was a teenager standing in the KOP that day with about 25,000 other fans. And we were bloody glad Shanks was on our side.
oldredeyes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:24 pm

He was great wasen't he.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gaz31 » Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:36 am

Has wrote:He was great wasen't he.

he was f a n t a s t i c mate :D
When you get the ball, I want you to beat a couple of men and smash the ball into the net, just the same way you used to at Bury," said Shankly. Lindsay replied: "But Boss that wasn't me, it was Bobby Kerr." Shankly turned to Bob Paisley and said: "Christ Bob, we've signed the wrong player."
gaz31
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion