Well done to parry and rafa - They stood fast and called his bluff

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:40 pm

With all said and done, this is probably the best solution for all.  Gerrard has been 'umming' and 'arhhing' for the last year about his future.....this should have not been an issue after winning the European cup.
        Gerrard has been shocked by Rafa's approach to him.....and i for one apploud our manager for treating Gerrard as part of the team...and not someone better than all of it.  I doubt Gerrard intended to stay, but if he did, it wouldn't surprise me if he wanted more money than we could afford, or a get out clause that would allow him to leave when the likes of Real came knocking.
    What is good for us is the fact Parry and Rafa have forced Gerrard's hand, and made him look foolish as a result.  Yesterday we hear, not from our Captain, but from his agent that talks have broken down.....it all looks as tho Liverpool are to blame.  However, Rafa comes out straight away....tells everyone the facts and then promises Gerrard legend status if he stays.....tells him he will have a job for life at Liverpool, that he will teach him how to be a manager and basically give him it all.  For anyone else, being paid 100k a week, playing for, and Captaining, the European champions and being idolised by thousands would have been enough, not for Gerrard.
         After all this from Rafa, and the rejection of Chelsea's offer, Gerrard was backed into a corner and the only way out is a very exspenisve transfer request.  By being forced to request a transfer Gerrad will forfits any % of his transfer fee, rumoured to be around 7%  For a player who gives great importance on money, this will really hurt.  Fair play to Parry and Rafa i say, they have made a fool of Gerrard and finished the job he started, to destroying his image at Liverpool forever.
Last edited by 7_Kewell on Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:44 pm

nicely written piece mate, i agree with what you are saying :)
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:18 pm

It sickens me that Gerrard, the man we have all adored for years, is going to leave like this without an explanation.

He has betrayed every single red in the world, IMO he is a c.unt! :angry:
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:23 pm

Can't resist it - TOLD YOU SO !!!
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:26 pm

JohnBull wrote:Can't resist it - TOLD YOU SO !!!

There's a time and a place Bull.  :angry:  :angry:  :D  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Woollyback » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:08 am

Gerrard is quoted tonight on BBC teletext as saying "I fully intended to sign a new contract after the CL final but the events of the last 5/6 weeks have changed all that"

The only thing that has changed (as Kewell 7 says) is the excellent work by Parry, Moores & Benitez in calling Gerrard's bluff and forcing him into revealing his true colours. What could have conceivably changed in that time? I think he wanted to leave all along and was expecting an early exit from the CL to provide the perfect excuse but events have clearly taken him by surprise. His trump card has suddenly been taken away from him and he has replaced it with a lame excuse about "events in the last 5/6 weeks" but has conveniently avoided getting into specifics by saying "he has too much respect for the club to get into a slagging match".  In other words he has always wanted to go, but hasn't got a valid reason any more. He just wanted an excuse to join Chelsea/Real full stop. F*ck Liverpool, F*ck his hometown, F*ck the city of Liverpool, F*ck the supporters, F*ck his team-mates, F*ck ethics & morals

Well Steven Gerrard, I for one don't believe your 11th hour desperate posturing and straw-clutching. I don't believe you ever wanted to stay, I don't believe you ever intended to sign a new contract, and Steven, you have betrayed your city

Steven, f*ck YOU
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:34 am

Well said 7Kewell
Despite the stick they have copped some fairly , alot of it unfairly LFC board and management have handled themselves in a way which only enhances Liverpool as being more then just a Football club
Waking up this morning, im not even angry anymore just pleasantly relieved. I really do believe this is best thing that could have happened to us and not just for financial boost. A stronger motivation and better team spirit will come out of this sorry episode which will put the post Rooney Everton performance in the shade
Future is Red  bright Red
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:38 am

THe last 12 months have been no more than a sad joke - Anyone with half a brain could see that the boy was going through the motions. He should never been retained after last seasons fiasco.

He will not be the same player ever again because in his heart of hearts he knows he's wrong to leave I'm just glad that the spin doctors attempts to make him a saint have blown up in their faces,

Can't wait to see him at Anfield next season !
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby addicted norwegian » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:42 am

I agree with you 7kewell. What pisses me off about this whole mess is that the agents or even Gerrard himself is traing to paint a picture where the club looks like the "bad boy", but I have to hand it too both Rafa and Parry: You`ve made sure that both Gerrard and SFX have failed in their attempt to place the blame on the LFC board.

My respect for and faith in Rafa has increased while my respect for Gerrard vanished. It`s sad in a way, as this is a footballer who I`ve adored for years who now turn his back on all the millions of Liverpool-fans all over the world. When it comes to the SFX the situation is the same; I hate them, always have and always will.

Steven Gerrard has just chosen to diqualify himself from becoming a Liverpool-legend, and at the same time chosen to walk alone out the gates of Anfield.

For all the    true Reds: "You`ll never walk alone"
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby addicted norwegian » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:51 am

Oops, seems like I will have to eat my words here.. Happy to do so if stevie makes his u-turn :)

But my admiration for the way Rafa and the LFC-board has handeled is the same or maybe even bigger than before the news on Gerrard`s u-turn was revealed   :bowdown
Last edited by addicted norwegian on Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:21 am

still agree with my original point....Rafa and Parry have handled this like pro's.  Gerrard seriously needs to get a new agent!  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion