Night of the long knives - Rafa clears out 16

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:52 pm

On first blush it seems a fairly drastic reorganization but, as ever, the merits of this decision can only be judged in hindsight.  It may take a bit of team before we can assess whether this is a positive move for the club or not.  I can certainly understand why some people would have reservations, though.  But, if we start to see more youth players coming through into the squad it will have been worth it.  Time will tell.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby heimdall » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:23 pm

GYBS wrote:People get fired all the time from clubs - yes they have been around the club a while but rafa is the manager and wants things done his way so we got to let him - No place in the world for sentiment . There is nothing wrong with a clean sweep and to change things and try new things out - if 12 months from now we have success and trophies will people be bothered who got fired then ? doubtful . People want results and maybe the guys who have been fired just have given the results Rafa wants .

Erm weren't you the one saying we shouldn't buy too many new players all at once and against whole sale changes GYBS? What is the difference exactly between that and getting rid of almost the entire academy staff plus other key positions?

I think this is madness by Rafa, if he wasn't content with these guys then why did he keep them on board for 5 years???

This is Rafa going power crazy and is what I feared, I hope I'm wrong but I have a bad bad feeling about all this.
heimdall

Postby GYBS » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:36 pm

heimdall wrote:
GYBS wrote:People get fired all the time from clubs - yes they have been around the club a while but rafa is the manager and wants things done his way so we got to let him - No place in the world for sentiment . There is nothing wrong with a clean sweep and to change things and try new things out - if 12 months from now we have success and trophies will people be bothered who got fired then ? doubtful . People want results and maybe the guys who have been fired just have given the results Rafa wants .

Erm weren't you the one saying we shouldn't buy too many new players all at once and against whole sale changes GYBS? What is the difference exactly between that and getting rid of almost the entire academy staff plus other key positions?

I think this is madness by Rafa, if he wasn't content with these guys then why did he keep them on board for 5 years???

This is Rafa going power crazy and is what I feared, I hope I'm wrong but I have a bad bad feeling about all this.

Whole sale changes on the playing staff Heimdall - Big difference .

And i guess he didnt have a choice about keeping or firing them as he didnt have the power to do it until now . Our Academy hasnt exactly up rooted any tree lately and he wants that to change .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simolonge » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:01 pm

If the papers and media ran a story about Rafa sackin his gardener then certain members of this forum would castigate him and demand he iused a local gardener and didnt add to his "spanish contingent" at home.

FACT
simolonge

Postby GYBS » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:04 pm

:laugh:

Very true indeed
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Octsky » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:57 pm

to be frank, all the best to those who just lost their job. but our youth policy have no just been up to standard.
need less to said, arsenal can field a under 21 team and they can win the div 1 easily.
Mancs have produced Gerard Pique (steal from barca youth, won champs league), macheda (prob win title for them), rossi (sold 6-7 mil to vallareal), campbell (6 mil to hull city), fletcher and o'shea (no saying these 2 are good, but they are mancs starting 15). and some more, i am not a mancs fan, forgive me for the vague examples, but u get the picture.

to be honest, we did not produce (or sign) any youngster worth mentioning in this 5-6 years and this is scary.
youth players are our future, if we dont produce quality players then its like a hen which dont lay eggs.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:09 pm

Reg wrote:No one complained when Stevie G increased his contract to 130,000 a week until 2013 or Nando to 120,000 a week....... thats why these lads have been made redundant because of the greed of the stars.... and in the survival of the fittest its hello Stevie and goodbye Angel.

I find it strange people comment on 16 fellas losing their jobs but not as to budget reasons WHY cuts have to be made...... are we all so blinkered in our support for the club?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simolonge » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:47 pm

Reg wrote:
Reg wrote:No one complained when Stevie G increased his contract to 130,000 a week until 2013 or Nando to 120,000 a week....... thats why these lads have been made redundant because of the greed of the stars.... and in the survival of the fittest its hello Stevie and goodbye Angel.

I find it strange people comment on 16 fellas losing their jobs but not as to budget reasons WHY cuts have to be made...... are we all so blinkered in our support for the club?

I find it strange that you have quoted yourself Reginald Perrin . . .
simolonge

Postby Reg » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:48 pm

Whats your name, Sherlock? ???
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:56 pm

simolonge wrote:
Reg wrote:

I find it strange that you have quoted yourself Reginald Perrin . . .

:D

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:29 am

Our academy has produced what since Gerrard? I know that that doesnt necessarily prove everything, but Rafa has been here for 5 years, I think that he has the right to run things the way that he wants. It is not as if he is unfamiliar with youth set-ups, he has earned a lot of peoples' respect and Sammy Lee is sticking by him.

I trust that he is doing the right thing, (hopefully :().
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Octsky » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:26 pm

Former Tranmere goalkeeper John Achterberg, 37, has left Prenton Park after 11 years' service to join Liverpool's coaching staff. He will look after the reserve and youth-team keepers.

i have not idea our goal keeper coach left? although i have doubts over the one in the 90's.
david james was considered a clown in the team, when he left suddenly he is england's number one, golden glove one season too (if i am not wrong)
brad friedel couldnt keep for sh.i.t, he left for blackburn and suddenly becomes a legend.
chris Kirkland, very young promising keeper, almost eight world class saves when he played for conventry against us. 8 mil move to us and the rest is history.
its seems like goalies seems not to perform when coming to liverpool, well, the GK coach have to get some blame.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby Igor Zidane » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:44 pm

Liverpool have raided Barcelona for experienced youth coach Rodolfo Borrell.

Borrell is joining Liverpool's Academy setup

Borrell signed his two-year deal with Liverpool on Monday.

http://fcbtransfers.blogspot.com/2009....ch.html
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:55 pm

That is a good signing when you look at the kids he has helped develop .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simolonge » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:23 pm

GYBS wrote:That is a good signing when you look at the kids he has helped develop .

He and the other fella (from Olympiakos I think) where both instrumental in the Barca youth set up.
simolonge

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion