How long as he got? - AKA "Rafa's Last Chance" thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby GYBS » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:48 am

Why would Rafa be gone if DIC came in ? Maybe they would back him with big bucks to go for the league ? Apart from the odd few voices Rafa is loved by the fans and DIC would know this .And werent we top scorers last year ? i know we were first to get to 100 goals so how does that make rafa limited as an attacking coach ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:49 am

I think its safe to say that that there will be a take over by the end ofthis football year, if DIC take over and we are not in the top 2 then Rafa will be gone.

Rafa knows that and that is why he as sided with the owners over a few points.
Rafa knows if he stays with us he has a great chance to win the thing he loves the most....The CL.

I wonder if Rafa would make a good England Manager, i think he would but he would get fed not having musch work to do for most of the year.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:52 am

mistyred wrote:To be fair Rijkard is a very good manager and after winning what he did at Barca was very unlucky to be sacked on top of that he team played
some beautiful flowing football.

and rijkaard was also very lucky to have players like deco,etoo,ronaldinho and messi at his disposal plus henry bojan etc as back up yet won nothing for two years ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:58 am

Next Liverpool manager should be Kenny. Simple as that.

Pull out all the stops and get him back.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby LegBarnes » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:58 am

GYBS wrote:Why would Rafa be gone if DIC came in ? Maybe they would back him with big bucks to go for the league ? Apart from the odd few voices Rafa is loved by the fans and DIC would know this .And werent we top scorers last year ? i know we were first to get to 100 goals so how does that make rafa limited as an attacking coach ?

Because If DIC come in they be looking to invest 500 mil in the club.

No way they going to keep a manager who has been not great in league and sets up teams to draw vrs teams like villa.

They will bring in some one who is agressive and can spend a transfer budget of say 80 mil a season 3-4 top players rather then 10 stop gaps.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:02 am

LegBarnes wrote:
GYBS wrote:Why would Rafa be gone if DIC came in ? Maybe they would back him with big bucks to go for the league ? Apart from the odd few voices Rafa is loved by the fans and DIC would know this .And werent we top scorers last year ? i know we were first to get to 100 goals so how does that make rafa limited as an attacking coach ?

No way they going to keep a manager who has been not great in league and sets up teams to draw vrs teams like villa.

They will bring in some one who is agressive and can spend a transfer budget of say 80 mil a season 3-4 top players rather then 10 stop gaps.

Rafa has had to buy stop gaps due to not having 80 mil pound to spend on players every summer - look at the players he has got when he is able to spend big - torres and masher to name two - he knows the players he wants but unfortuantly limited budgets have meant he has had to settle for second choice - not his fault yet despite all this we are still up there with the best - just a couple more 20 mil players needed - give rafa the money to do that and then you will see us .

Set up for a draw after loosing our best striker ? yet brough another striker on ?? maybe he was abit cautious with the sub for yossi but he didnt start that game going for a draw - he picked the best 11 he had and we had chances to win - they just werent taken - keane for example.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:04 am

Fo Dne wrote:Next Liverpool manager should be Kenny. Simple as that.

Pull out all the stops and get him back.

No way - the game has moved on - kenny hasnt been in touch with football since when ? 94 maybe ?? 14 years ago ish .

Be like keegan going back to newcastle .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:05 am

GYBS wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:

Rafa has had to buy stop gaps due to not having 80 mil pound to spend on players every summer - look at the players he has got when he is able to spend big - torres and masher to name two - he knows the players he wants but unfortuantly limited budgets have meant he has had to settle for second choice - not his fault yet despite all this we are still up there with the best - just a couple more 20 mil players needed - give rafa the money to do that and then you will see us .

Set up for a draw after loosing our best striker ? yet brough another striker on ?? maybe he was abit cautious with the sub for yossi but he didnt start that game going for a draw - he picked the best 11 he had and we had chances to win - they just werent taken - keane for example.

You are missing the my point he has had the money ever season to buy top players but due to his ideas of rotation he buys many players over a few top players.

Any one who defends last nights game gets no respect from me at all.

It was one of the worst teams i have seen setup ever end off!
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gerrard30391 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:07 am

GYBS wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:

Lucas on the left mid? Our best 11 available?

:no
"I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Postby LegBarnes » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:11 am

Remember in the rafa interview he says how he hates to lose so much.

This is his weakness he so hates losing he rather draw then push on for win.

You need guts to manage a top team rafa ain't got any bottle he play for draw when there is a chance we might lose if we attack.

I rather see a manager who attacks and loses then to get draws ever game.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:12 am

Don't get me wrong, I'm still behind Rafa but nobody at the football club is immune to constructive criticism.

One thing that really bothers me about Rafa is his stubborn streak. I know people are divided about his ability (and I personally think that a lot of people hold his perceived off the field image against him when judging him), but Pennant is perfect for a 4-4-2 formation, given that he's probably the only genuine winger in the squad. If he played yesterday, he'd have been able to give the midfield some balance, kept the shape, whipped a few decent balls into the box and maybe would have looked to have taken on Shorey a couple of times. With all due respect to Dirk and his work-rate, I would rather play against him all day long than Pennant given that he doesn't have the ability to take his man on and often drifts inside or plays it square or backwards when he's in possession. Unfortunately, Rafa's made no secret of his wish to sell Pennant so he's probably played his last game in a Liverpool shirt, but why not at least give him a go anyway? After all, a good performance could add an extra £500k-1m on his transfer fee.

The same goes for Finnan. Even though he was out of sorts last year, I still believe he's the best full-back at the club. I do like Arbeloa, but he should be our equivalent of John O'Shea in that he's a solid if unspectacular player and can fill in anywhere across the back four if required. He offers nothing in an attacking sense, when I would actually regard Finnan as the best crosser of the ball in the squad. Again, it's a case of Rafa letting his stubborn streak get the better of him by persisting with a player of inferior quality purely because he wants Finnan out the door.

Personally, I think Rafa settled for a draw as soon as Torres went off injured. Our general build up play left a lot to be desired and we were too lethargic in the final third.

Shankly remarked that football is a simple game and even though the game has changed a hell of a lot in 40 odd years with regards to diet, fitness, technology etc, the basics of football such as being able to pass and move, creating space for yourself and others and being able to easily pick out somebody with the same colour shirt as yourself are still relevant. Unfortunately, a lot of that seems to go out the window as Rafa still seems content to contain the opposition and nick a goal rather than impose ourselves on the opposition.

I think as well he over-complicates things. When Reo-Coker switched to right-back, I was crying for Babel to be brought on to have a go at him and exploit Villa's weakness by taking on his man. Dossena actually did alright in the final third and whipped some great balls into the box and a combination of him and Babel taking on Reo-Coker would surely have given us some joy down that flank. That, for me, was the simple move to make to try and win the game, but, as we know, Aurelio came on to solidify things on that flank and make sure they posed no threat.

What I will say though, is that it's not the end of the world. We're still unbeaten and I actually would have taken a point before the match as I don't think many teams will beat Villa at their place this season (although I did change my mind when I realised that Villa were there for the taking and would only have been able to score from a set-piece).
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby GYBS » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:13 am

LegBarnes wrote:
GYBS wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:

You are missing the my point he has had the money ever season to buy top players but due to his ideas of rotation he buys many players over a few top players.

How much has he had to spend this summer then ? seems to me he has had to sell ti raise cash to get players . last summer was the first summer he really had a chance to spend big and did it very well indeed .

And lets not go into rotation again as every club does it - but the difference is the mancs and chelsea have better more expensive and higher quality options to bring in do rotate because they have been able to spend more money . yeah rafa could blow his whole budget on one player every summer - what happens when that player gets injured ? and how many games can that player play before beiing fecked - take arsenal for example last year - started off great but had no options to bring on throughout the season and faded aw\y due to tiredness.

and if you think yesterdays came was set up the worst ever you got a very short memory as remember GH teams,evans teams, souness teams being far far far worse than that . getting a draw at a top 6 team was a good result at the end of the day .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:15 am

LegBarnes wrote:Remember in the rafa interview he says how he hates to lose so much.

This is his weakness he so hates losing he rather draw then push on for win.

You need guts to manage a top team rafa ain't got any bottle he play for draw when there is a chance we might lose if we attack.

I rather see a manager who attacks and loses then to get draws ever game.

Rather have that one point than no points . rafa will pick when to attack and when not too .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:15 am

GYBS wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:
GYBS wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:

How much has he had to spend this summer then ? seems to me he has had to sell ti raise cash to get players . last summer was the first summer he really had a chance to spend big and did it very well indeed .

And lets not go into rotation again as every club does it - but the difference is the mancs and chelsea have better more expensive and higher quality options to bring in do rotate because they have been able to spend more money . yeah rafa could blow his whole budget on one player every summer - what happens when that player gets injured ? and how many games can that player play before beiing fecked - take arsenal for example last year - started off great but had no options to bring on throughout the season and faded aw\y due to tiredness.

and if you think yesterdays came was set up the worst ever you got a very short memory as remember GH teams,evans teams, souness teams being far far far worse than that . getting a draw at a top 6 team was a good result at the end of the day .

I was talking about in rafas era with setup.

Yes he had to sell to buy but that doesn't meen after he has sold he didn't have the cash there to buy a few top players.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:18 am

stmichael wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm still behind Rafa but nobody at the football club is immune to constructive criticism.

One thing that really bothers me about Rafa is his stubborn streak. I know people are divided about his ability (and I personally think that a lot of people hold his perceived off the field image against him when judging him), but Pennant is perfect for a 4-4-2 formation, given that he's probably the only genuine winger in the squad. If he played yesterday, he'd have been able to give the midfield some balance, kept the shape, whipped a few decent balls into the box and maybe would have looked to have taken on Shorey a couple of times. With all due respect to Dirk and his work-rate, I would rather play against him all day long than Pennant given that he doesn't have the ability to take his man on and often drifts inside or plays it square or backwards when he's in possession. Unfortunately, Rafa's made no secret of his wish to sell Pennant so he's probably played his last game in a Liverpool shirt, but why not at least give him a go anyway? After all, a good performance could add an extra £500k-1m on his transfer fee.

The same goes for Finnan. Even though he was out of sorts last year, I still believe he's the best full-back at the club. I do like Arbeloa, but he should be our equivalent of John O'Shea in that he's a solid if unspectacular player and can fill in anywhere across the back four if required. He offers nothing in an attacking sense, when I would actually regard Finnan as the best crosser of the ball in the squad. Again, it's a case of Rafa letting his stubborn streak get the better of him by persisting with a player of inferior quality purely because he wants Finnan out the door.

Personally, I think Rafa settled for a draw as soon as Torres went off injured. Our general build up play left a lot to be desired and we were too lethargic in the final third.

Shankly remarked that football is a simple game and even though the game has changed a hell of a lot in 40 odd years with regards to diet, fitness, technology etc, the basics of football such as being able to pass and move, creating space for yourself and others and being able to easily pick out somebody with the same colour shirt as yourself are still relevant. Unfortunately, a lot of that seems to go out the window as Rafa still seems content to contain the opposition and nick a goal rather than impose ourselves on the opposition.

I think as well he over-complicates things. When Reo-Coker switched to right-back, I was crying for Babel to be brought on to have a go at him and exploit Villa's weakness by taking on his man. Dossena actually did alright in the final third and whipped some great balls into the box and a combination of him and Babel taking on Reo-Coker would surely have given us some joy down that flank. That, for me, was the simple move to make to try and win the game, but, as we know, Aurelio came on to solidify things on that flank and make sure they posed no threat.

What I will say though, is that it's not the end of the world. We're still unbeaten and I actually would have taken a point before the match as I don't think many teams will beat Villa at their place this season (although I did change my mind when I realised that Villa were there for the taking and would only have been able to score from a set-piece).

Why do you steal other peoples posts off other forums and post them as your own?

Please explain as its getting bloody rediculous, or are you going to hide again and pretend it doesn't happen and delete any post that mentions it...
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion