Neville calm over anfield abuse - Skysports 20/2/06

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:46 am

Manchester United defender Gary Neville has played down the abuse he received from Liverpool fans.

The Red Devils skipper incensed Liverpool supporters with his celebrations at Rio Ferdinand's late winner in The Premiership clash between the two sides last month.

And the Anfield faithful took their opportunity to respond during the 1-0 victory over United on Saturday, booing Neville every time he touched the ball.

There was also a mixed reaction when Alan Smith was stretchered off with a leg injury, but Neville insists it is all part of the game.

"I have no reaction to the Alan Smith taunts," Neville told BBC GMR. "These things are part of football and you have to accept them.

"We are getting a little bit too carried away with shouts from the crowd. These are minor incidents.

"When you come to Liverpool, you expect to be given a tough time. Do you expect their supporters to smile at us and say 'go on lads, enjoy yourself out there?' That is not the way it is.

The England star believes that the behaviour of the Liverpool fans is merely a reflection of the rivalry between the two sides, and revealed that the negative reception towards him came as no surprise at all.

"This is football and it is important to a lot of people from both sides," he stressed.

"I nail my colours to the mast and I expect and accept it is not going to be accepted by the Liverpool fans.

"I have been to Anfield a lot down the years. The reception was not too bad and as long as the abuse doesn't boil over onto the pitch, I don't have a problem with it. It is part of the game."
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion