I can't believe some fans - Calm down

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:28 am

Does anything ever change on here?

I've got to admit it's pretty amusing witnessing some members on here going absolutely bonkers when we lose a match and then going berserk when we trash Norwich. Wow alonso this alonso that. Wow how great we were blah blah blah...The fact was that it was Norwich. Yes the signs certainly looked good and Alonso was by far the best player on the park by a mile in that match, but it was only 1 game !

Ffs, give Rafa time ! It's exactly the same thing when those peabrained journalists keep asking the same questions again and again and each time Rafa gives the same reply. You can see he's clearly annoyed but forced to give a diplomatic smile to avoid a tantrum. What Rafa wants is time, and time does not mean 1 or 2 weeks. It means months, possibly a year or two. There have already been positive signs that we're heading in the right direction so please be friggin patient g dammit !

Ok we lost this match...big deal. If we win the EPL in 1 or 2 years time I for one will certainly not give a flying f bout this match. But people coming on here saying sell him, sell him, he's not good enough, should just sit back and think about how fickle they are being.

So calm down cos I'm still very convinced Rafa's the man (unless he chickens out and do a runner - hope not!) and that we're heading in the right direction. Changes do not happen just with a snap of the fingers. It takes TIME. And that's spelt as T-I-M-E. Geddit ?! Doh.

To me the problem with our team is very simple:

Our forward line does not have the relevant ability to create the chances required. Everytime it would appear the wrong balls are played and the strikers do not look strong enough when they have the ball to do something special to produce the required goal. We have seen glimpses from Cisse and Baros but no consistency. Admittidly they are both scoring every other game. I think both of our strikers are excellent but they need quality support around them. I have been taken by Garcia but he needs to start making an impact in away games aswell as at home. The other problem with last night was that the Greek opposition were just like their natioanal team - they upset our play continously with some rigid defending and we could not deal with it. It reminded me like our away performance against Bolton more than anything. Further our attacks were not quick enough - we seemed to take ages to get the ball into the oppositions final third, there was very little urgency in our play (probably becuase of the missing SG).

Oh and another thing, and don't lambast me for this, but I don't think we would have lost last night's game under GH. We certainly wouldn't have conceded the goal.

But as for the moaning fans, cut it out, it's getting tiresome.

Amen
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Redrider » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:36 am

Were you smoking something last night ?
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:39 am

Redrider wrote:Baros :scrap. Cisse: inadequate. Garcia:needs more awareness.Kewell: no heart. Warnock: too raw.Alonso:needs time. Finnan: needs transfer. Hamman: needs to learn the art of positive passing. Riise: needs pace and sense. Hypia: needs some players around him. Carragher: needs some presence.Josemi: needs to know where he stands. Dudek: needs Kirkland.
Apart from that we were pretty good last night !!   :blues:  :blues:

judging by that you're the one who was smoking
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 106-1093504160 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:42 am

expectations are always high at LFC, even the board accept that fans maybe furious over results, but we still go and watch them. In essence everyones right.
106-1093504160

Postby maximus » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:43 am

Mikey, I agree to a point.

But you cannot blame fans for getting the hump. That is human nature and what the make up of a football fan is all about, we are all fickle by nature.................EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US. it just depends to what degree.

As a liverpool fan for over 30 years, I have witnessed the great nights in Europe, the countless league titles e.t.c. the problem is fans like me are fed up of the 'waiting game' when you see Chelsea, Arsenal and Manure moving away from us at an alarming pace, we just cannot seem to catch up.

I do not want to be like the Manure of old waiting 23 years between league titles, I REFUSE TO BE!! I want to hold my head up high when I am having a debate about current footballing matters with my mates/colleagues who are Manure, Arsenal and chelsea fans. At the moment I cannot do that...............And I tell you what IT F*****N HURTS!!!

TIME......................How much time, it has already been 14 years since we won the league. GH needed time, 5 years to be exact, he didn't achieve, and then time goes on. we need to take each game on, game after game, and build on that.

So please do not lambast supporters for having a gripe, we are all human, with differing opinions, this is what makes forums like these a great release for LFC supporters around the world.

My own opinion?? Yes I am prepared to give Rafa time (we as supporters have no other alternative), after all 2 La liga titles in 3 years speak absolute volumes for me. However rafa can only work with players at his disposal, and the facts are SOME players are just not up to it, i will keep my opinions to myself as to who these are, but I think we all know who they are. I will not come on this site and completely slate players/teams, this does not help the cause, and I have complete faith in Rafa.

Walk on.
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:47 am

Excellent post again St Mick, one of the few voices of sense on this forum.
jonnymac1979

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:48 am

maximus wrote:However rafa can only work with players at his disposal, and the facts are SOME players are just not up to it, i will keep my opinions to myself as to who these are, but I think we all know who they are.

So do I but it just p#sses me off when certain members just come on here after a couple of bad performances and say sell him, sell him, he's cr@p, he needs to go. the fact is, we can't get rid of anyone until january so for now we need to get behind the manager and hope he can turn us into a more consistent outfit.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 106-1093504160 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:50 am

true lfc fans always do that stmike

did u get the message?
106-1093504160

Postby JBG » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:04 am

Last night's performance was awful and there will be another few awful performances between now and Christmas at least.

I agree with St.Michael that the boss needs more time, and our home form is encouraging.

However, that is not to say he's immune from "observations" at the moment:

My "observations" are:

1. The zonal defence system is not working at the moment. Apparently Benitez swears by this system and it has obviously worked for him before, but my thoughts at the moment is that Hyppia and Carragher are hugely confused by it (and the other players are even more perplexed!). I think British players don't like the zonal system and it could be the case that Benitez will never get it working at Liverpool, as it is not in the northern European mentality.

The last three goals we conceded were three headers, despite the fact that we had plenty of men in the box.

2. Harry Kewell is now a major problem. He blew hot and cold last year, mixing some good performances with many bad, and apart from some occasional flashes against Monaco, he has struggled so far. Rumour has it that his ankle injury has ruined his confidence, and many are grumbling that Harry doesn't care. Whatever the problem is, Kewell needs to sort himself out soon or else we'll have to look at another option at left wing.

3. Steve Finnan is simply not cut out for right midfield. I know Benitez has been unlucky with injuries so he has been forced to play Finnan. He took his goal well against WBA, but watching him last night showed his lack of class at a higher level. In the first half he got some space on the right, looked up to pick out a cross: the opposition left back jumped to block before Finnan swung his kicking leg. Finnan dumbly kicked the ball at the defender when smarter players would have dummied and cut inside as the left back had made his move: that's a routine skill at the highest level.

Personally I think Finnan would be a good utility squad player in the Phil Neville mould, but he is not a long term option in the first team.

4. Jerzy Dudek is getting a lot of criticism at the moment, some of it warranted, some of it unfair. However, Kirkland needs a few games in the team and if he comes through ok, then maybe the boss may need to make the tough decision and jettison Dudek.

5. John Arne Riise is here for 3 years now and despite an improvement in form this season, he is not really cut out at the highest level.

6. We still lack cohesion going forward, and for all the hype, Cisse and Baros have a long way to go. If anyone saw Roy Mackay's hat trick last night they'll see what a real centre forward looks like.

The reality is that Benitez needs to find 3 or 4 top class players somewhere if we are really going to make an impact.

I think we have the right boss for the job but there will be no quick fix to our problems and despite some hugely encouraging aspects (Alonso and Gerrard will be fantastic after Christmas), it is clear that we are probably 5 or 6 players short of Man UTD, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Those people who said three weeks ago that we'd easily finish ahead of Man UTD this season need a reality check: Man UTD were awesome in attack last night.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Redrider » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:25 am

stmichael wrote:
Redrider wrote:Baros :scrap. Cisse: inadequate. Garcia:needs more awareness.Kewell: no heart. Warnock: too raw.Alonso:needs time. Finnan: needs transfer. Hamman: needs to learn the art of positive passing. Riise: needs pace and sense. Hypia: needs some players around him. Carragher: needs some presence.Josemi: needs to know where he stands. Dudek: needs Kirkland.

I wish I had been smoking something last night it would have taken the pain away !!

Get real lad's, we were awful last night. As soon as we meet a half decent team we can't cut it !!

Granny, has just expanded my four lines to a whole page and it say's it all. There is some work to be done here.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:30 am

Redrider wrote:
stmichael wrote:

I wish I had been smoking something last night it would have taken the pain away !!

Get real lad's, we were awful last night. As soon as we meet a half decent team we can't cut it !!

Granny, has just expanded my four lines to a whole page and it say's it all. There is some work to be done here.

What do you mean get real

I dont see many fans here shouting on about how great we are and how we going to win the championship.
Most seem to have a fairly realisitic view that its going to be a tough season but in saying that still doesnt mean that we have to stomach the experts who arrive after every loss moaning and whining that we are doomed and that everybody is ******
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:42 am

Emotion is located on a different dimension with logic, st. mike.
Sometimes we all just need an outlet to excrete the filth out of our rational side -which is valid as long as not being abusive.
Nobody would say we played decently yet it's unfair to demand the team to speed up beyond their speed limit. We do need time, even realistically, may be a bit more while than expected with those lack of resources. It would have not happened if our finance are backed-up by the typhoon abrakadabramovich.
:)
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:43 am

Some people here were claiming a few weeks ago that we'd finish second.

I have consistently maintained that in Benitez we probably have the right manager for the job, but in the short term, things might worse before they get better.

There are some problem areas in the side that need to be fixed, probably by signing a few new players over the next 18 months, but there are plenty of positives as well.

It could be a hard winter but overall I think we'll see a decent improvement over last year.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:53 am

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Last night's performance was awful and there will be another few awful performances between now and Christmas at least.

I agree with St.Michael that the boss needs more time, and our home form is encouraging.

However, that is not to say he's immune from "observations" at the moment:

My "observations" are:

1. The zonal defence system is not working at the moment. Apparently Benitez swears by this system and it has obviously worked for him before, but my thoughts at the moment is that Hyppia and Carragher are hugely confused by it (and the other players are even more perplexed!). I think British players don't like the zonal system and it could be the case that Benitez will never get it working at Liverpool, as it is not in the northern European mentality.

The last three goals we conceded were three headers, despite the fact that we had plenty of men in the box.

2. Harry Kewell is now a major problem. He blew hot and cold last year, mixing some good performances with many bad, and apart from some occasional flashes against Monaco, he has struggled so far. Rumour has it that his ankle injury has ruined his confidence, and many are grumbling that Harry doesn't care. Whatever the problem is, Kewell needs to sort himself out soon or else we'll have to look at another option at left wing.

3. Steve Finnan is simply not cut out for right midfield. I know Benitez has been unlucky with injuries so he has been forced to play Finnan. He took his goal well against WBA, but watching him last night showed his lack of class at a higher level. In the first half he got some space on the right, looked up to pick out a cross: the opposition left back jumped to block before Finnan swung his kicking leg. Finnan dumbly kicked the ball at the defender when smarter players would have dummied and cut inside as the left back had made his move: that's a routine skill at the highest level.

Personally I think Finnan would be a good utility squad player in the Phil Neville mould, but he is not a long term option in the first team.

4. Jerzy Dudek is getting a lot of criticism at the moment, some of it warranted, some of it unfair. However, Kirkland needs a few games in the team and if he comes through ok, then maybe the boss may need to make the tough decision and jettison Dudek.

5. John Arne Riise is here for 3 years now and despite an improvement in form this season, he is not really cut out at the highest level.

6. We still lack cohesion going forward, and for all the hype, Cisse and Baros have a long way to go. If anyone saw Roy Mackay's hat trick last night they'll see what a real centre forward looks like.

The reality is that Benitez needs to find 3 or 4 top class players somewhere if we are really going to make an impact.

I think we have the right boss for the job but there will be no quick fix to our problems and despite some hugely encouraging aspects (Alonso and Gerrard will be fantastic after Christmas), it is clear that we are probably 5 or 6 players short of Man UTD, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Those people who said three weeks ago that we'd easily finish ahead of Man UTD this season need a reality check: Man UTD were awesome in attack last night.

agree with most of that, excepet i dont think risse needs replaces in my opinion hes as good as any left back in the premier league. We need a poacher a poacher type centre forward a.s.a.p to get in to box and get the "ugly" goals, Mista has been mentioned and hopefully someone in this mold will be signed soon. And as for Finnan, he is no way a right winger, he was absolutly terrible last night and is blatantly no more than a backup player in that position, in the big games i cant see him making an impression as he lacks the skill and creativity of a good right winger.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:59 am

I have been saying this for ages, judge the manager and team in 4-6 months not now :angry:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion