"moores ready to dip into own pocket"

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby lost_prophets » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:50 pm

"Moores ready to dip into own pocket"

Liverpool chairman David Moores could dip into his own pocket to fund his club's transfers at the end of the season.

Despite reports over the last year of consortiums planning to invest at Anfield, no deal has been agreed to bring cash to the Premiership club.

Fernando Morientes was brought to the club from Real Madrid for £6.3million during the transfer window, but Liverpool's financial future remains uncertain.

With skipper Steven Gerrard understood to be a target for current leaders Chelsea, building a strong squad is seen as the key to keeping the 24-year-old on Merseyside.

'He (Moores) will do whatever it takes to move it forward, even if it affects his own interests. He cares more about this club than about himself,' said chief executive Rick Parry.

Potential investment from the Thai Government or American investors has not materialised, while local businessman Steve Morgan has failed in his attempt to take control of the club.

Morgan withdrew his offer of a £70million cash injection in December, with his lawyer insisting the lifelong Reds fan had 'lost patience' with the club's current board over their failure to strike a deal.

With reports of a move away from Liverpool, Parry admitted yesterday the club would not keep Gerrard 'against his will' if a big bid arrived.

'It is a frustration that we have not come up with the investment, but life is not like that,' Parry added on the clubs website.

'We have got through this season tolerably - we've invested £43million in the team, so we've not tightened the purse strings too much.

'Apart from maybe Chelsea, by anyone else's standards that's a reasonable investment.

'The chairman is quite positive at the moment because he's quite pleased with how Rafa's been performing, 2004 was a difficult year from his point of view but there is no better chairman in the world of football. No manager could have greater backing.'

'It was particularly difficult in the summer with Gerard (Houllier) going and the uncertainty over Stevie (Gerrard). But having got Rafa (Benitez, manager) on board and seeing some signs of progress he's happier, but still extremely keen to find the right investment.'
lost_prophets

Postby dawson99 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:51 pm

isnt moores one of the richest poeple in england anyways?
would be nice if eh gave us a few quid i gotta admit
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthernScouser » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:59 pm

don't know

what's his estimated estate worth
anyone have any ideas ???? ???? ?????

I know one thing - he's not struck oil yet, he doesn't own a dead Cert Grand National Winner - nor does he have connections with the Mafia - so it's not
gonna be in the same league as the Scum or Chelski
SouthernScouser

Postby dawson99 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:00 pm

i dunno, im sure he had like 700 million tucked away or something
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:02 pm

(i was well out, but stilla lot of money!!!)

Current Anfield chairman David Moores makes it into the top 25 (at 24th). The 58 year old co-founder of the Littlewoods empire is said to be worth £180m. Moores currently holds a 51% controlling stake in the club but this has been under pressure from bids from Steve Morgan (see below) among others recently.

Moores' stake in the club is said to be worth £80m and his share in the Littlewoods company, which recently diversified into stores and mail order, should be at least £100m.

However, Moores' rival Steve Morgan - a controversial character around Anfield - is ranked 14th with an estimated worth of £320m. Morgan is shareholder in the club who made his money when he set up a construction business 30 years ago from a £5,000 loan. That business grew into one of Britains biggest housebuilders - Redrow Homes. Morgan sold almost £240m of shares in 2000 and has a remaining £54m.

Morgan also has a £65m stake in De Vere leisure group and a share of a new £50m leisure complex in Majorca. He is said to be wanting increase his 5% stake in Liverpool by injecting £75m into the club.

Reds boss Rafael Benitez is ranked tenth in the managers list, with a more modest £14m estimated worth. The 44 year old Spaniard will earn more than £10m from his five year contract on Meresyside and his past earnings at Valencia mean he is worth the £4m now.
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:05 pm

you won't find many chairman who are better or more committed to their clubs than david moores. maybe steve gibson at boro is the only one who comes close.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The_Rock » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:12 pm

yeah...but this just shows that moores wants to hold on to his stake @ LFC. The trouble is, he ain't as rich as roman.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 84-1106852058 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:13 pm

SouthernScouser wrote:don't know

what's his estimated estate worth
anyone have any ideas ???? ???? ?????

I know one thing - he's not struck oil yet, he doesn't own a dead Cert Grand National Winner - nor does he have connections with the Mafia - so it's not
gonna be in the same league as the Scum or Chelski

David Moores has always been a very private man,so I dont think we will ever no the extent of his wealth.Lets just be happy he isnt like that other bluff merchant across the park.
84-1106852058

Postby 109-1105722616 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:03 pm

so he should dip into his own pocket we are falling behind the top3 at a frightening rate, he wants to stop messing about
109-1105722616

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:20 pm

Maybe it's about time for DM to open that door to others investors to lift Liverpool up. Hopefully Bill Gates will invest in LFC.
LiverpoolMadman

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:22 pm

LiverpoolMadman wrote:Maybe it's about time for DM to open that door to others investors to lift Liverpool up. Hopefully Bill Gates will invest in LFC.

yeah and if that bid fails he can play in goal :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby andy_g » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:28 pm

its good to hear news like that. but i'm finding harder to trust moores all the time, what with all the delaying overdue investment only seemingly to save his own position of power etc. (allegations, by the way - the real truth is too complex and hidden for me to understand completely). but the rumours and delays are souring my taste for the guy. a rumopur along the lines of 'ready to dip into his own pockets even if it affects his own business' and 'he loves the club more than himself' sound like ideal PR soundbites to me.

but i AM in a more suspicious mood than normal today. lack of sleep probably.

if you're reading this though, mr moores - cough up, i think your great :D

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:07 pm

andy_g wrote:but i AM in a more suspicious mood than normal today. lack of sleep probably.

must be that glass eye of yours andy :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The Ace1983 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:50 pm

I know David Moores and Steve Morgan both love LFC, but do they have enough to sustain us. It's gonna eventually be that the premiership will become the BILLION-aires playground. Everyone will have their own Abramovich soon enough, so then I'd like for us to to do a deal with the likes of L4 or this Arabian Sheik who is apparently interested and bring some major funds to the club that we could use to attract the best players in the world, just like Real, Chelsea and the rest.

Moores has been a great chairman in the past and is never short of transfer funds, but it sounds as if he's running on empty if he has to did into his own pocket, that can't be good. I know this statement came from Parry so I'm not sure if I should trust it, but I still think that we need major new investment, and if Moores loves the club so much, he should step aside if an offer from a really big "playa" comes in.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:06 am

Hope L4 comes aboard....New england patriots just won their 3 superbowl in 4 yrs (i think).
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion