Mcmanaman blasts reds - Always did think he was a c0ck!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Paul C » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:27 am

From the mirror:
Macca in Liverpool blast

Macca: Liverpool are too far behind to catch Chelsea and Man Utd
By Ann Gripper 31/07/2007

Steve McManaman has written off Liverpool's title hopes and warned that spending a fortune will not guarantee success.

Anfield boss Rafa Benitez has invested more than £50million in Yossi Benayoun, Ryan Babel, Lucas Leiva and £26.5m club record signing Fernando Torres, as well as snapping up Andriy Voronin on a free transfer.

But rivals Manchester United have shelled out £52m to bolster their squad of champions, with Chelsea also bringing in big names.

And McManaman, who signed as a pro with Liverpool in 1990 - the year of their last title win, believes his old club were too far behind last season to bridge the gap in a single summer.

He said: "I think we're talking about the top four or five now Tottenham have spent a lot of money.

But I still think it will be very difficult to dislodge Man United and Chelsea - as much as everybody else has gone out and spent, they've spent too.

"The spending hasn't stopped really, they've just been buying more players and, the fact there was 21 points between Manchester United and Liverpool last year, it's a big gap.

"After spending money Liverpool fans will definitely expect.

"The Holy Grail for Liverpool fans is the Premiership - for the other big teams it seems to be the Champions League."
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:35 am

Well, he is a headless chicken that preferred to be in the reserve rather than go elsewhere and play. He is not willing to take a pay cut to revive his career. Just someone that likes floating around without trying really hard to be a better player. Just don't like his attitude as a whole. He now says money can't guarantee success. Not sure why he only talks about Liverpool will not succeed even though we spent. Why didn't he say Chelsea won't win or Tottenham won't win. Why only Liverpool. Never really liked him in the first place. Probably just want to create some fuss because no one remembers him now.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:55 am

Even Barnsey was saying similar stuff the other week. Whats with all this negativity.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:00 am

i am struggling to see where he has said anything thats not correct, the money spent is correct, the points difference is correct and in his opinion we will be top 4 or 5 next season, which is also probably correct.

or am i missing something?
112-1077774096

Postby ckay » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:00 am

The same Macca who walked away from us on a free, sat on the bench at Madrid for a few years playing cards and then failed at Man City. The guys a c0ck!!!

I for one don't think we'll win the Prem......I know we will!!!!
Positive mental attitude.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopjon » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:01 am

Nowt negative about whats being said at all, we are still the undergdogs and i think rafa would rather it stayed that way.  New signings will need time to settle in and we cant expect them to win us the title first go.

I will be 110% behind the boys this season, but dont expect too much.  First we need to break into the top two.
Kopjon

Postby Rafa D » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:02 am

This is a fu.cking joke piece of journalism. I heard the interview from macca yesterday on bbc.co.uk/sport and its been twisted.

The mirror is really starting to :censored: me off.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:03 am

ckay wrote:The same Macca who walked away from us on a free, sat on the bench at Madrid for a few years playing cards and then failed at Man City. The guys a c0ck!!!

I for one don't think we'll win the Prem......I know we will!!!!
Positive mental attitude.

the same guy who was ready to sign a contract but it wasn't given, the same guy who you probably drooled over when he was playing, the same guy who is the only english man to win the champions league twice, scoring in one final.

yeah he was sh*t wasnt he.

ffs sake some of you guys need to chill out, so what he has given an opinion that isnt even bad, just honest and you are slating him as though he was a bad player

grow the f*ck up
112-1077774096

Postby Rafa D » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:03 am

They haven't even got the quotes right.
FFS.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:04 am

If we win the prem, I'll be overjoyed but if we finish between 3 and 7 points behind the eventual winners, I'll be more than happy, it'll show movement in the right direction!!
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:06 am

Based on what i have just read, i am not sure where he blasts us, he makes a statement....probably answering questions that have been asked by a reporter. And to be fair to him alot of our supporters have similar feelings about where we will finish this season.

I dont think he has said anything wrong in that interview, even if through my rose tinted specs i think he is wrong in his opinion.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:23 am

I don't think he "blasted" us....He is just stating the facts.

1)We spent big
2)Spending big doesn't necessarily mean success
3)We were 21 points behind manure last season.

And in his opinion, he doesn't think we will win the premier league. I wouldn't call that "blast"....
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:28 am

I don't think he's done much wrong here if I'm being honest.

Macca is all over the news because in about a fortnight, we're all going to be seeing a lot more of him as a main star pundit on Setanta.  The Mirror are probably just trying to push him into our consciousness.

It's a shit rag anyway.  I just read Bascombe out of the Echo.
jonnymac1979

Postby puroresu » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:31 am

He hasnt blasted us.  Just cos he was liverpool player it doesnt mean he has to always say we will win.  I still think we need more quality to win the championship and funnily enough someone like him would be great.  A player who can run at teams and commit players at the heart of a defense.  We need that type of player!!

Also it is a myth to suggest he left us for free and screwed us.  He wanted to stay but 12 months earlier we tried to flog him to Barcelona even though he never said he wanted to go.  For that reason alone we lost him to Madrid for free.  Also Mcmanaman was respected in Madrid for the fact he was ready to fight for his place at Madrid.
puroresu

Postby The_Rock » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:34 am

BTW i also don't think we will win the premier league....I think arsenal might sneak it this coming season.

I have a sneaky feeling that we will win the FA and League cup and finish a close 3rd....about 4 or 5 points from the eventual winners Not bad if u ask me as i think we have made too many changes this season. ( i would have kept bellamy and not bought babel...but thats just me).

That will be the plateform to launch an assault on the 2008/2009 premier league.  :;):
Last edited by The_Rock on Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion