Luis figo - A (relatively) reputable source

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:32 am

Y N W A . T V

Luis Figo is on the verge of joining Liverpool as talks between the player and club have reached an advanced stage.

The Portuguese international could become the second Real Madrid player to leave Spain for Anfield this year after Fernando Morientes made the move in January.

Figo was the leader of Portugal’s ‘Golden Generation’ and won a FIFA World Youth Championship medal in 1991. He also made his full debut that year against Luxembourg.

He retired from international football after Portugal were defeated by Greece in the EURO2004 final. He had won 110 caps and scored 31 goals during his international career.

Figo left his native Portugal in 1995 and moved to Barcelona for a reported fee of just over £4m. He spent five wonderful years at the Camp Nou winning two Primera Liga titles and the European Cup Winners’ Cup.

In an extremely controversial move in 2000, Figo joined arch rivals Real Madrid for a then world record fee of £37m. The massive fee appeared justified as Madrid and Figo went on to win another two league titles and the Champions League. Figo himself also won the FIFA World Footballer of the Year in 2001.

He has an impressive list of honours to his name:

4 La Primera titles, Champions League, Intercontinental Cup, 2 Spanish Cups, 3 Spanish Super Cups, European Cup Winners’ Cup and 2 European Super Cup winners medals. As well as his FIFA World Footballer of the Year title in 2001 he had been named European Footballer of the Year the year before.

He can speak four languages including English and is married with one daughter. A move to Merseyside would raise a few eyebrows in the Premiership and would certainly cause a buzz of excitement amongst the Anfield faithful.

I for one would welcome this kind of big name signing, but I am not sure how he would fit into the Rafalution.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby haps » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:38 am

don't know how I'd feel about this.  The man is obviously class but Figo's been on the wane for about the last 18 months and I've seen him get a bit whingey and go missing when the tackles fly in (admittedly I'm basing this on a handful of Portugal games near the end of his international career).  Big name looking for one last big pay day???  We're not f*****g Middlesborough here.  I wouldn't doubt that Rafa would get something out of him mind.
haps

Postby simic_ie » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:39 am

I think he could do a job for a season or two for us. Nothing long term obviously but it would improve on what we currently have and if there isnt a better option out there then I'd have no problem with him coming
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:41 am

How old is he, 32?

Yeah I'd like to see him at Anfield on a short-term contract but it depends on the fee and how ridiculous his wage demands are

His age in fact doesn't bother me, just think "Gary Mac" if you want to rubbish the "too old" argument. But his wage demands are likely to be absurd and he is unlikely to want to sit on the bench

Still, you never know
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:44 am

I would welcome such a transfer if he is on a free transfer. That will buy us time to find a younger right winger for the future.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby Big Niall » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:46 am

I'm not a beliver in judging player on age (Fowler is 29 but "old" while Strachan was 36 and young).

I think Figo is old. He hasn't done much in the last few years to impress me. I've always thought he was over rated when mentioned at the same level as Zidane.

He is living on past glories, He has the odd good game now and then but not up to it over a season. Look elsewhere.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:46 am

call me weird but the news just doesn't excite me at all. sure, figo's an impressive player with all sorts of skills and fancy tricks - but he's a grouchy b@stard, he's on the wane and i don't see him getting much chance to use his talent in the premiership style of play. i'll stick with garcia thanks very much, give him another season and he'll do that job even better for us.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:51 am

Sorry, but I just think this guy has had 2 good seasons, the last one at BArclona when he was the best player in the world, and the first one at Real Madrid.

He is old, and overated, would want a huge wage packet, and at least a 2 year contract, and he has an big ego. Hope it doesnt happen.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:54 am

Whilst wanting to build for the future, you do still need to buy some established players with the relevantt experience for today.

Gary Macca was the perfect example, and without wishing to diss Gary, Figo has more of the "t-shirts" you get for being there and doing it.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:55 am

i think the shirts issue is the only positive thing about having figo. he'd sell a few at least.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby haps » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:55 am

totally agree.  i reckon he'll get stroppy if the tactics don't suit him or if the pace and style of the Premiership don't suit his tastes - and it won't.  Garcia knuckled down and did a job for us this season.  Still gives the ball away far too much and gets knocked off too easily BUT he's really developing into an important player for us.  He's a better bet than Figo who I could see having a nightmare at a rainy Tuesday night at Fratton Park etc
haps

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:57 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:Whilst wanting to build for the future, you do still need to buy some established players with the relevantt experience for today.

Gary Macca was the perfect example, and without wishing to diss Gary, Figo has more of the "t-shirts" you get for being there and doing it.

I agree that experience is invaluable, but I don't think Figo is the sort of character to harvest team spirit, or drive the team when they are down and help younger players. He has a go at Deco saying that he shouldn’t play for Portugal and he said that Owen shouldn’t be in the team because Raul is better.

Gary Mac was an absolute legend in my eyes. I we could get someone like him then I would be up for it.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:58 am

I personally dont think buying Figo would be worth the hassle, he has a huge ego and would probably want the wages to match it. His form for the past couple years has been poor, and he looks a shadow of the great player he once was.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:59 am

Its hard to know what to think. He still has all the skills - some of the goals he got for Madrid this season have been breathtaking - but the worry is that we'd only get 5 good games out of him a season.

If he came here and delivered he would be a massive boost.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:03 am

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Its hard to know what to think. He still has all the skills - some of the goals he got for Madrid this season have been breathtaking - but the worry is that we'd only get 5 good games out of him a season.

If he came here and delivered he would be a massive boost.

true, if we signed him it could go either way, he could be superb he could be awful, and that what puts me off us signing him. I mean would he come with attitude required to help us progress into a better team?
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion