Luis figo - A (relatively) reputable source

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The_Rock » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:18 pm

He is a luxury player....we already have 1 in kewell  :p
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:24 pm

No....He may have had bags of talent 2-3 years ago, but we want to build for the future - nobody over 30 please.....
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:36 pm

Usually when you take blokes of the very very highest class (which Figo clearly was in his prime), the only issue is motivation. Figo doesn't strike me as a Kluivert type of freeloading moneygrabber, he is an intelligent man and apparantly a deep thinker about football.
It could be now that he's retired from International football that he looks upon a spell in the English Prem as the missing piece in the jigsaw of his career. If he's serious, he could well be our Klinnsmann or Zola. He's certainly in that class and I think there's a tendancy amongst some on here to not rate established World superstars realistically. If he came and was motivated, he would do massive damage in the Premiership I'm certain of it.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:37 pm

if he comes in they can have nunez back :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby adamnbarrett » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:16 pm

I would have him. Not only is he a good player. He will add experience to the team and maybe teach the younger members of the squad a few things.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:28 pm

the only positive thing i could say about that deal is that a genuine wide man is what we need - wether that wideman is figo is another thing. i`ve not been impressed by what i`ve seen of him on the telly, and madrid are on almost every week on sky. maybe a move here would inspire him but i think he`d be a target for the robbie savages and hunts of the prem.
would he be up for the battle at his age? i dont know.
i`ll just trust rafa`s judgement on this one, he knows what he`s doing.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:25 pm

Before I get excited I want to see this on something like Sky Sports cos ynwa.tv isn't reliable enough for me ???
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:43 pm

From skysports.com

Carlos Quieroz is trying to persuade Sir Alex Ferguson to sign Luis Figo from Real Madrid after it became clear that the Portuguese international no longer has a future at El Santiago Bernabeu.

According to Spanish sources, the Manchester United number two and former Real boss is set to hold talks with Madrid president Florentino Perez at the end of the current season in a bid to capture Figo on a free transfer.

Ferguson has been a long-time fan of the former Barcelona midfielder and would not take much convincing that he is worth a risk as a free agent.

Figo has fallen out with Madrid after they decided not to renew his contract which expires in 2006 and he is also furious that he been dropped to the bench for the last three league outings.

The Spanish giants could be willing to let the player leave for nothing as they would not have to pay him €6million for the final year on his contract.

The 32-year-old has often stated that he would like to play in The Premiership and he would have little problem adapting as he and his model wife Helen Svedin both speak fluent English.

Figo would also be happy to be reunited with Quieroz - who was in charge at Real from 2003-04.

Figo moved to the Bernabeu in 2000 for a world record fee of €55million after agreeing a pre-contract with Madrid when negotiations with then-Barca president, Joan Gaspart, broke down.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:52 am

Cool Hand Luke wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:
Cool Hand Luke wrote:................ our 2 top earners are on £60,000 a week, and they are both likely to leave in the summer. ....................

Who are they and how do you know this ?

Gerrard and Kewell, I don't know for sure. I said likely.

I have read Gerrard is on something around 80 000 a week, not 60.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:53 am

Big Niall wrote:becks? do we need a slow winger, with no dribbling skills, who thinks he is so important he should be in the middle but isn't good enough to play there. Huge salary, ego & media circus

Blinded by fame/hype!

agree.

Figo is better than Beckham. end of.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:28 pm

If we are to make a move for another Spanish player I would rather Benitez to try and snatch Raul from Madrid.  He is alot younger than Figo and is in dire need of a fresh challenge to boost his career.  Also, he wouldn't command as high a transfer fee as he would have in 2002 when Fergie was claiming he was one of the best finishers in the world.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:37 pm

I rather us snatch Riquelme from Villareal
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Woollyback » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:59 pm

I'd rather bring Owen home than Beckham or Figo but in all honesty none of them will be coming next season. Rafa has hinted heavily that there will be some big signings in the summer but they won't include any of the above 3
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:56 am

Figo aint good enough or young enough for Liverpool

not sure about his attitude either.

Sounds like a Bolton player to me .:D
66-1112520797

Postby siti_zaiton1982 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:42 am

Figo is a world class player n if he really do joins us next season,he'll be able to add the experience for the young players.it might be one of the reason of why Rafa brings him here.take Pelle as an example even though there's a question on whether Rafa would extend his contract at the end of the season.
siti_zaiton1982
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion