Luis figo - A (relatively) reputable source

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby azriahmad » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:05 am

You said it, JBG.

The best years of Luis Figo, a great player, is past him and he will struggle in the hustle and bustle of the EPL as he has considerably been on the wane for the past 2 seasons or so.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:09 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:Whilst wanting to build for the future, you do still need to buy some established players with the relevantt experience for today.

Gary Macca was the perfect example, and without wishing to diss Gary, Figo has more of the "t-shirts" you get for being there and doing it.

It would take the old git two seasons to settle in and Gary Mac new the premier league like the back of his hand .He was one of Houlliers good buys.

So what im saying is if you are looking for the t-shirt thing you should look inside the British isles.Coz he wouldnt hack it.
66-1112520797

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:10 am

He has had 2 consistent seasons as I mentioned before. But apart from that he has been hit and miss. But I don't think he would struggle with the hustle and the bustle, and I think he could apart to the pace.

I think he is on about £100,000 a week at Real Madrid, our 2 top earners are on £60,000 a week, and they are both likely to leave in the summer. If he accepted a basic salary of say £50,000 a week, and then bonuses for appearances, goals, and the team’s success then it may be possible.

The main thing that would decide whether he was a success is his hunger. Only Rafa can judge this, and I trust that he would make the right decision

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:24 am

Small fee and medium wages only. We can't take any risks, especially if he thinks he can do a mcmanaman to us and sit on the bench while raking the cash in.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:40 am

i think it should depend on the salary he demands (i heard his salary is incredibly huge). If it's reasonable, he could be a short-termer who is better than mccallister and could (with his massive experience) instantly boost-up our performance next season.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:41 am

Cool Hand Luke wrote:................ our 2 top earners are on £60,000 a week, and they are both likely to leave in the summer. ....................

Who are they and how do you know this ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:15 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
Cool Hand Luke wrote:................ our 2 top earners are on £60,000 a week, and they are both likely to leave in the summer. ....................

Who are they and how do you know this ?

Gerrard and Kewell, I don't know for sure. I said likely.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:21 pm

Figo would be a wonderful signing.

He is pure class still, and a proven winner. That is his best quality, his mentality. We need players like that. Players with their closet full of prizes and medals. They have something special, that extra desire to win. And Figo can take on a number of roles. Je can play on the right, in the centre, and he can also play wide left if there is the need. He has a lot of experience and will be a valuable asset to the team in games AND especially in training

Also it pleases me that Benitez is looking at quality like Figo, Alonso, Garcia, Luque and so on. Not typical Houllier garbage like Diao, Heskey and Cheyrou. Players with no skills. We are in safe hands, and next year we will be a lot better and have a much more competetive squad.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby 2520years » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:22 pm

If everything goes to plan for next season, Figo wouldn't be good enough to get in the team, so why shell out for his wages?  I agree we could use some experience, but only if the player is good enough to cross the white line on a regular basis.  We could do with an experienced right-sided midfielder - how about Becks.
:;):
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby Big Niall » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:33 pm

becks? do we need a slow winger, with no dribbling skills, who thinks he is so important he should be in the middle but isn't good enough to play there. Huge salary, ego & media circus

Blinded by fame/hype!
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:52 pm

Geez, I dont know about this signing if it is true. I havent seen anything else on this issue, so Im just wondering if ynwa.tv have got their facts right, or is it just pure @ss. The signing would be a step back for LFC, and if Rafa makes a charge for Figo, then he would be benching it and probably behind the pecking order starting from Alonso, Gerrard, Hamman and then Figo would be considered. I dont think Figo would go for it, maybe he should go to the Graveyard League and retire like all of them do, Scotland.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:02 pm

I don't think theres any doubt that Figo is a quality player, however i agree that he has been slightly overrated in the past.  At 32 the legs are starting to slow and he certainly doesn't look as quick as he once was.

Despite this if we could get him for a nominal fee and reasonable wages then I'd take him on a 2 yr deal.  I actually think one or two 'old heads' would do our squad good.  Only hyypia is over 30 in our squad i think (not counting pelle and smicer who will be leaving)
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:27 pm

I would rather us invest in an English player who knows the game here better and has plenty of hunger!
I know it won't be easy to find or fund such a player but figo i feel would not be happy playing in the weekly grind of the EPL!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby clint » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:39 pm

im not a fan of figo and i wouldnt like to see him in the red shirt of liverpool
clint

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:00 pm

I cant see the point in signing him unless he is on a free and going to take a big pay cut.
I havent been overly impressed with him the last couple of seasons and have seen quite a lot of Real matches...there on sky as much as us. His pace is gone...the skills are still there though and i disagree that he would struggle with the physical side of the premiership...when ave watched him he can give it out and take it back.
I would only have him if Rafa doesnt have the money for a younger winger...i'd much rather we were trying to get Solari...he always looks class when i've seen him.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion