"lucky''?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Sat May 13, 2006 10:46 pm

I usually read what neutrals have to say about our games [mostly games like this]. Aside from the bitters,Mancs and Chavs there always seem to be people who think we won the cup final on luck pure alone.

"Liverpool were lucky to beat AC Milan" "Dudek cheated to save those penalties" "Gerrard dived for that penalty"

That's the sort of comments I've come across after Istanbul. I can't say that it doesn't make my blood boil. First of all we went to hell to get to Istanbul in the first place [and all of our wins were ''lucky'' according to some as well  :sleepy: ].

You will always need a bit of luck to win any cup competition but to say it's on luck alone is quite ignorant. It takes more than luck to come back from 3-0 down against any side let alone against a world class side.

Today, I've stumbled upon similar types of comments. Just now somebody here posted that we didn't deserve to win the cup, only Gerrard did. What the fuck kind of ignorance is that?

Had some other player scored goals in that similar fashion I can guarantee that half of the people who claim that we're a one man team because of Gerrard wouldn't be saying the same thing.

Did Gerrard alone get us to the cup final in the first place? No he didn't. It was a team effort, it took all 11 players on the pitch and the manager to get where we've gotten. I hate the fact that people chose to ignore that and focus on one player alone and label us as a one man team.

Where were those people when we beat Luton 5-3. I didn't hear comments ''Alonso won it for Liverpool" or "Pongolle won it for Liverpool" despite the pair of them scoring two goals each. But had it been Gerrard who did that, then we would had heard those kind of comments.

Where were those people when we beat Manchester United after not beating them for 85 years in the FA Cup? I didn't hear ''Crouch was the only reason they won'' but had it been Gerrard that scored, we would had heard those comments.

Where were those people when we beat Birmingham City 7-0 after getting stick week after week for not scoring enough goals.

Where were those people when we beat Chelsea? Gerrard didn't score, but Riise and Garcia did. However I didn't hear anything about us depending on Garcia's goals to win games.

Remember the game against Olympiakos? We won that game 3-1 and ever since that game people have said that it was due to Gerrard alone that we got through.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the score was 3-1 and Gerrard scored one of those goals, not three. We needed to score three goals to go through after Olympiakos taking the lead, not just one.

I've heard hardly anybody praising the youngsters Mellor and Pongolle for scoring on that night. It's as if they never did score and people act like Gerrad's goal automaticaly gave us three on the scoreboard.

Stevie is a fantastic player and credit to him for what he's done. But I despise the fact that we're labaled ''lucky Liverpool'' and ''one-man team''. The other ten players should be credited as well. They may not have performed brilliantly but it was a team effort that got us in these finals, not a one man job.

Pardon the rant on this glorious day but I needed to get that out of my system.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby weringo » Sat May 13, 2006 11:04 pm

To be fair this season I have barely heard any comments about us being a one man team compared to last season. It really says a lot about how we have improved this season
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby GOAT » Sat May 13, 2006 11:35 pm

Yeah i havent really heard the phrase "one man team" about us much this season, only now has it started really, last season we couldnt get rid of it
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby 82-1074641017 » Sun May 14, 2006 12:46 am

You should have heard the Bitters in our local boozer tonight claiming the Better team lost :D
They even had the cheek to say that Koncheskys goal was meant!! :laugh:  :laugh:
82-1074641017

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun May 14, 2006 1:56 am

A.B. wrote:I usually read what neutrals have to say about our games [mostly games like this]. Aside from the bitters,Mancs and Chavs there always seem to be people who think we won the cup final on luck pure alone.

"Liverpool were lucky to beat AC Milan" "Dudek cheated to save those penalties" "Gerrard dived for that penalty"

That's the sort of comments I've come across after Istanbul. I can't say that it doesn't make my blood boil. First of all we went to hell to get to Istanbul in the first place [and all of our wins were ''lucky'' according to some as well  :sleepy: ].

You will always need a bit of luck to win any cup competition but to say it's on luck alone is quite ignorant. It takes more than luck to come back from 3-0 down against any side let alone against a world class side.

Today, I've stumbled upon similar types of comments. Just now somebody here posted that we didn't deserve to win the cup, only Gerrard did. What the fuck kind of ignorance is that?

Had some other player scored goals in that similar fashion I can guarantee that half of the people who claim that we're a one man team because of Gerrard wouldn't be saying the same thing.

Did Gerrard alone get us to the cup final in the first place? No he didn't. It was a team effort, it took all 11 players on the pitch and the manager to get where we've gotten. I hate the fact that people chose to ignore that and focus on one player alone and label us as a one man team.

Where were those people when we beat Luton 5-3. I didn't hear comments ''Alonso won it for Liverpool" or "Pongolle won it for Liverpool" despite the pair of them scoring two goals each. But had it been Gerrard who did that, then we would had heard those kind of comments.

Where were those people when we beat Manchester United after not beating them for 85 years in the FA Cup? I didn't hear ''Crouch was the only reason they won'' but had it been Gerrard that scored, we would had heard those comments.

Where were those people when we beat Birmingham City 7-0 after getting stick week after week for not scoring enough goals.

Where were those people when we beat Chelsea? Gerrard didn't score, but Riise and Garcia did. However I didn't hear anything about us depending on Garcia's goals to win games.

Remember the game against Olympiakos? We won that game 3-1 and ever since that game people have said that it was due to Gerrard alone that we got through.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the score was 3-1 and Gerrard scored one of those goals, not three. We needed to score three goals to go through after Olympiakos taking the lead, not just one.

I've heard hardly anybody praising the youngsters Mellor and Pongolle for scoring on that night. It's as if they never did score and people act like Gerrad's goal automaticaly gave us three on the scoreboard.

Stevie is a fantastic player and credit to him for what he's done. But I despise the fact that we're labaled ''lucky Liverpool'' and ''one-man team''. The other ten players should be credited as well. They may not have performed brilliantly but it was a team effort that got us in these finals, not a one man job.

Spot on, lad.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whylongball? » Sun May 14, 2006 2:06 am

just want to add..Peter Crouch disallowed goal was luck  :laugh:
whylongball?

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Sun May 14, 2006 4:43 am

We cant win mate. we dont let the media lick our :censored: so therefore there not going to like us.

As for other clubs they are jelous of the following we get and the passion we all live, not to mention the treditions this club has, and the fact we have morals on and off the pitch concerning players and fans and were still sucessful.
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Sun May 14, 2006 4:52 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:
A.B. wrote:I usually read what neutrals have to say about our games [mostly games like this]. Aside from the bitters,Mancs and Chavs there always seem to be people who think we won the cup final on luck pure alone.

Spot on, lad.

That's spot on. I ran into Manc before the game and he tried to tell me that. What a :censored:!
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun May 14, 2006 5:18 am

Meh, let them say we were lucky.

All that matters is that THIS belongs to us:

Oh yeah, and FIVE of THESE too:

:rasp  :rasp  :rasp  :rasp
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joko » Sun May 14, 2006 6:48 am

lucky us? wasn't it lucky them as well for their first two goals?

yes we were lucky to beat alikes of chelsea, milan and juve in champions and lucky to beat manure and cheatski in FA

we were lucky that we have beaten a team who had about a half of our total match throughout this season in the fina;. we were lucky that most of our main players still being able to run and kick the ball at the edge of our stamina. we were lucky that our players didn't die on the pitch but only to lift up the cup with dignity. end of!

:angry:
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby anti-hero » Sun May 14, 2006 6:54 am

Lets see what was luck.

West Ham Goals:

1) An Own Goal

2) A mistake from Reina

3) A mis-hit cross

Liverpool Goals:

1) Cisse volley

2) Gerrard volley

3) Gerrards freak'n volley.

West Ham did a great job today but to say we won it because of luck is just so bitter, its funny!

We're not lucky.

We're just too freak'n good. :D
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 73-1141222089 » Sun May 14, 2006 7:03 am

anti-hero wrote:Lets see what was luck.

West Ham Goals:

1) An Own Goal

2) A mistake from Reina

3) A mis-hit cross

Liverpool Goals:

1) Cisse volley

2) Gerrard volley

3) Gerrards freak'n volley.

West Ham did a great job today but to say we won it because of luck is just so bitter, its funny!

We're not lucky.

Now that's the way to counter them blighters and their "lucky" comments.....

With Hard Facts nobody can deny.....

:bowdown
73-1141222089

Postby metalhead » Sun May 14, 2006 9:31 am

anti-hero wrote:We're not lucky.

I ditto to that

:D

Who cares what neutrals or west ham fans say! They complain and moan but talk doesn't change things!! WE WON THE F.A CUP!

and spot on A.B!

:buttrock
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sun May 14, 2006 11:41 am

absolutely agree, AB. i've been feeling the same way today, especially after reading too much press and (probably unwisely) browsing a couple of west ham forums. the amount of column inches saying that we are an average team with one great player is unbelievable and almost matches the amount saying that we are pretty much undeserving to win the Champions League and the FA Cup.

of course its true that in steven gerrard we possess a phenomenal player, a winning machine who will never say die and who can win or rescue a match with a moment of genius like he did yesterday. but if you know anything about the game and cast an eye over the rest of our squad i think you will see plenty of quality in there. while we're not liberally sprinkled with world class talent, and have few players that would walk into any team, we have a squad of enough above-averageness to beat anyone on our day.

i think it also needs to be noted that this is pretty much the first time that our captain and talisman has actually REALLY stepped up and taken a game by the scruff of its neck in a truely big game. istanbul heroics apart he wasn't exactly the outstanding performer on the field that day to be honest.

coming back to the comments about our overall merit and how much we actually deserve the trophy - if i read one more 'typical thieving scousers' type comment i am going to go seriously ballistic. no you idiots we didn't 'rob' the champions league forom milan and, no, we didn't 'rob' the FA cup from west ham. we won them both fair and square in two very hard fought contests against very tough opposition. we have ridden our luck as have these same opponents, can you name me a game where the winners haven't had a bit of the rub of the green. that's football, you play until the final whistle, the game is active until the final second, and if it goes to penalties the team that takes the best ones and saves the most will win. its simple.

having said all that i hope with all my heart that we reach a major final again next season against a quality side. and i hope we beat them by a clear margin of goals having never been behind. because until that happens we will never get the recognition we deserve and we won't be allowed to enjoy sweet victory by all the short sighted fools who think we just an average club.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun May 14, 2006 12:53 pm

andy_g wrote:absolutely agree, AB. i've been feeling the same way today, especially after reading too much press and (probably unwisely) browsing a couple of west ham forums. the amount of column inches saying that we are an average team with one great player is unbelievable and almost matches the amount saying that we are pretty much undeserving to win the Champions League and the FA Cup.

of course its true that in steven gerrard we possess a phenomenal player, a winning machine who will never say die and who can win or rescue a match with a moment of genius like he did yesterday. but if you know anything about the game and cast an eye over the rest of our squad i think you will see plenty of quality in there. while we're not liberally sprinkled with world class talent, and have few players that would walk into any team, we have a squad of enough above-averageness to beat anyone on our day.

i think it also needs to be noted that this is pretty much the first time that our captain and talisman has actually REALLY stepped up and taken a game by the scruff of its neck in a truely big game. istanbul heroics apart he wasn't exactly the outstanding performer on the field that day to be honest.

coming back to the comments about our overall merit and how much we actually deserve the trophy - if i read one more 'typical thieving scousers' type comment i am going to go seriously ballistic. no you idiots we didn't 'rob' the champions league forom milan and, no, we didn't 'rob' the FA cup from west ham. we won them both fair and square in two very hard fought contests against very tough opposition. we have ridden our luck as have these same opponents, can you name me a game where the winners haven't had a bit of the rub of the green. that's football, you play until the final whistle, the game is active until the final second, and if it goes to penalties the team that takes the best ones and saves the most will win. its simple.

having said all that i hope with all my heart that we reach a major final again next season against a quality side. and i hope we beat them by a clear margin of goals having never been behind. because until that happens we will never get the recognition we deserve and we won't be allowed to enjoy sweet victory by all the short sighted fools who think we just an average club.

Spot on Andy_G!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion