Liverpool vs blackburn - Excuses before the game?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:55 pm

Yes our beloved manager GH has warned that B'burn will be dangerous opponents as they bid to move out of the relegation zone. However, I don't quite like the tone of his remark. This is what he said:
"I will say this is not a good period to play a side fighting for survival. You could see that when we played Wolves here and then at Leicester. Those teams have, as we have, something very important to play for. It sometimes makes them play with more intent and effort....".

What kind of a comment is that Houllier ?? More of a defeatist attitude to me. I guess your team just have to play with MORE intent and effort Gerard !!!

A nice ready-made excuse for ending with a draw I reckon...
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Woollyback » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:30 pm

He's positioning himself nicely to act all clever when we get a s##t result by saying "told you so". Wish he'd position himself facing south at Dover, one-way ferry ticket in hand
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:32 pm

I actually think that instead of planning his tactics, houllier spends his days preparing these lame a#se excuses! i mean there endless i reckon he has them written for him then he memorises them then feeds it to the press
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:42 am

mwahah why bother learning how to manage a football team. I'm an ex-premiership excusist
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zardd » Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:31 am

GH always have all the lame excuses....
Other teams are fighting for their survival, so they will give more effort...what sh*t!!!
Aren't our team fighting for the 4th place which GH thinks its the best for the club, so why should there be a difference in effort.
With these kind of comments from the manager, even if the players don't give their full effort, they still have their manager to back them...can't believe this is what a manager should says with just 8 matches to go and which we are fighting so DESPERATELY for the 4th place...pathetic GH
zardd

Postby redspirit » Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:59 am

Houllier does have a point.  Desperate times calls for desperate measures and Blackburn are desperate, but at the same time...to keep hearing such comments from Houllier makes me mad.  Does anyone know of a manager who makes as much excuses as Houllier?  A very creative man, indeed.
redspirit

Postby whylongball? » Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:07 am

only if he's half as good in managing as making lame excuses!!!!!!!
whylongball?

Postby Owzat » Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:13 am

redspirit wrote:Houllier does have a point.  Desperate times calls for desperate measures and Blackburn are desperate, but at the same time...to keep hearing such comments from Houllier makes me mad.  Does anyone know of a manager who makes as much excuses as Houllier?  A very creative man, indeed.

Then how the ***** does he expect to win the Premiership ever? Or is he just getting his excuses in nice and early? I mean which is harder to beat Arsenal or Wolves? One is quality, one is struggling. If a team "fighting for survival" were that hard to beat they wouldn't be "fighting for survival"

Supersub - please can we have a rolleyes smilie
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:27 pm

Other teams are fighting for their survival, so they will give more effort...what sh*t!!!

Hmmm... yeah total sh##e that.

Do you not think he might be trying to ease the rediculous pressure all these so called *fans* put on the players and club?

I know if i was a manager at the moment i'd be looking to build confidence myself not shatter it even more.
115-1073096938

Postby brian cresswell » Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:56 pm

it shouldnt matter that a team is scrapping for points at the bottom of the table, if your team is full of class and quality nine out of ten times you will come out on top.If you compare the two sides how many Blackburn players would you have in the liverpool line up,but with houlliers defeatist attitude he is hardly installing any confidence in his team is he
brian cresswell

Postby redspirit » Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:06 pm

stu_the_red wrote:

Do you not think he might be trying to ease the rediculous pressure all these so called *fans* put on the players and club?

I know if i was a manager at the moment i'd be looking to build confidence myself not shatter it even more.

Houllier has made some questionable decisions but the man never admits to it.  Stu, it takes a real man/courageous person to admit defeat and fault.  He deserved credit for turning us around and brought us some trophies, but he also subjected himself to pressure and criticism.  I do not disgree that one of the tasks of manager of LFC at this moment is to build confidence, but which part of his statement regarding the desperation of Blackburn has anything to do with confidence?
redspirit

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:17 pm

If he turns round and says "we'll win this no problem". He ups there game and gives them a point to prove. Then should blackburn beat us that makes himself and our players look stupid.

Where as if we win. He comes off the pitch and says, yeah well done lads you've just beaten a time fighting for there lives, who also on there day can give any team in the league a run for there money.

The point is you don't dig yourself wholes and this comment was said with the intention of not giving them anything to play for and protecting our players already none existant confidence.

It shouldn't be critisised but mindless ***** have already sharpened the knives again. With this sort of pressure people within the club who can do things are going to feel it and it will cost us.
115-1073096938

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:01 pm

Stu why do you believe we will be succesful with houllier as manager? what the hell is wrong with you? do you watch us play? do you actually believe we play good football and that we will actually challenge the likes of arsenal and man u?
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redspirit » Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:56 am

As bad as we have been in the past 24 months, we are still LFC.  Holy sh*t...oppositions are up to play against us REGARDLESS of what we say!  If you are right about Houllier being afraid of waking up a sleep giant lurking at the bottom half of the table, then why would I want such a coward as a manager?  You are defending Houllier based on the assumptions of what he is thinking.  I am criticising him based on results because actions are louder than words.  Again, I gave him credit for bringing us the good times and now I give him sh*t for his mistakes.  If he knows the squad that he assembled is good enough, he wouldn't be making excuses.  Before the season began, Arsene Wenger was confident enough to say Arsenal might go through the entire season undefeated.  THAT...is confidence backed by substance because knows he assembled a good squad.  I could easily make the assumption that Houllier's praise for weaker oppositions is an indirect way of admitting his own mistakes, but I will not.  Houllier set himself up beginning with the "5 year plan".  Then bullsh*t statements such as "next Zidane", rating Diouf higher than Anelka.  Cheyrou is not a bad player but he is Cheyrou.  Diouf is Diouf.  6 years later, Houllier's product is on the decline without a league title and the squad clearly needs additional strengthening even after the amount he spent.  Right now, his best tactic is to shut his mouth or keep his statments simple.  He has to deal with the consequences of failure. 

To me, regardless of the success he might bring to LFC in the future,  Houllier will always be remembered as a person who only took credit for glory and NEVER took responsibility for his imperfections...not once.
redspirit

Postby zardd » Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:27 am

stu_the_red wrote:

which club doesn't have any pressure on them by their fans in doing well & winning trophies. Strugggling teams have immense pressure to stay up, mid table teams have pressure to perform better and challenge for a europe position, top teams have pressure to maintain their level at the very top.
LFC is such a top club in the premiership, pressure by the fans to perform thier best is not unusual. If GH can't take it or any of the players can't, i think it is better it step down than making excuses for their actions.
zardd

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion