Left with that empty feeling...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:43 pm

It began on quite a negative note this summer. Suarez was leaving, Enrique was looking like he was leaving and Pepe was on his way to Barca. Also, the clubs record signing that is Andy Carroll (for some reason) was moving to West Ham for a knock down price.

Now for me, the first thing that should have been addressed was the Suarez incident. It all got a big messy a bit quickly and kind of stayed that way. I don't believe Rodgers sat him down, visited him, or whatever and assured him he would be making big signings (because that never really happened). I don't believe he's asked him for another year either. The reactions from the club were slow and allowed Suarez to act a goat. The club should have nipped this in the bud quicker than they did, instead we were left hoping and preying that come the close of the window, he would still be here. We now have a player who may not want to be here.

Secondly on Reina, its a massive loss. I personally would have prefered the QPR keeper or Begovic from Stoke as a replacement. Not Mignolet, although he hasn't let anyone down so far, when he's been tested arially he's looked shakey and he lacks distribution quality for me, although some of this could be down to nerves so the lad deserves the benefit of the doubt, I don't believe him to be a leader though, which is a concern as Pepe most certainly was. I understand the reason for letting Pepe go, but it is still a huge loss.

I believe this summer should have seen us make two marquee signings or at least two well known quality ones that would walk into the side and improve it. To be honest, I'm not sure this has happened. If Sakho is this player, then great, but If not, I'm failing to see any improvement really on the side we fielded last season, I don't believe Toure is the answer either, although not a bad signing.

All in I kind of feel on the fence, leaning towards negativety... I'm hoping fifth isn't the best we can hope for... i'm affraid though thats all I can see. If we're lucky.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby redno7 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:59 pm

I don't think 3 wins in 3 games (especially against the champions) is the form of a team that has aspirations to finish 5th or 6th. We're riding a bit of a crest at the moment, not too many jaw dropping performances but enough to win 3 games out of 3.

you need to dry your eyes, take a grip of yourself and put as much effort into supporting this club as you do starting negative threads to rile everyone else up. Your sh!t stirring is kind of boring now, we've just done a summer season of Benny giving it the old 'poor us' and 'we're doomed' routine.

You joined as stuyesthatstu only 2 days ago and already your showing your colours. which won't come as a surprise to a lot of members as you have form.

enjoy supporting LFC
redno7
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:07 pm

Sorry...

*Clap clap clap*  "yay go liverpool we're boss!!!" :D

How could I ever be unhappy that we're going to struggle again to qualify for the champions league and lose our best players. I should bemade up because we've scraped three wins together against a side in transition, a side who couldn't muster a shot at goal in there last five visits to anfield and a side who were nearly relegated last year.

You're right... We're going to win the league. Sorry mate. :D
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:07 pm

I echo the comments about Suarez, but I think the club did redeem itself in the way it took a hard 'no' stance to bids for him. I think this'll be Suarez's final year with us, unless we do something really special this year. Qualifying for CL would certainly test his resolve to leave.

Regarding Reina, I never wanted him to leave and do not think Mignolet is better than him. However from what I can see the situation is an unfortunate combination of stupidity on Reina's part and a club with a tight wage structure. If you tell a club you will consider offers if your boyhood club comes calling (which at the time was likely) - you should not be surprised to see the club proactively look for a new keeper. In my opinion I do not see why Reina had to mention he wanted to consider an offer from Barcelona if it came in, it was either stupidity or maybe he was agitating for a move away.

I hope it was the former.

If he truly did want to consider an offer he should have waited until a concrete offer came in.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:11 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:07 pm wrote:I echo the comments about Suarez, but I think the club did redeem itself in the way it took a hard 'no' stance to bids for him. I think this'll be Suarez's final year with us, unless we do something really special this year. Qualifying for CL would certainly test his resolve to leave.

Regarding Reina, I never wanted him to leave and do not think Mignolet is better than him. However from what I can see the situation is an unfortunate combination of stupidity on Reina's part and a club with a tight wage structure. If you tell a club you will consider offers if your boyhood club comes calling (which at the time was likely) - you should not be surprised to see the club proactively look for a new keeper. In my opinion I do not see why Reina had to mention he wanted to consider an offer from Barcelona if it came in, it was either stupidity or maybe he was agitating for a move away.

I hope it was the former.

If he truly did want to consider an offer he should have waited until a concrete offer came in.

We do need to finish fourth to keep him. I think we may need to keep Coutinho too. Thats the problem, I don't believe the signings we've made will allow us to finish fourth. I hope I'm wrong, I really do or it could be a long way back for Liverpool from here.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby redno7 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:02 pm

StuYesThatStu » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:07 pm wrote:Sorry...

How could I ever be unhappy that we're going to struggle again to qualify for the champions league and lose our best players. I should bemade up because we've scraped three wins together against a side in transition, a side who couldn't muster a shot at goal in there last five visits to anfield and a side who were nearly relegated last year.

you sarcastic bell end
redno7
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:10 pm

sell everybody. three goals in three games is not good enough  :veryangry

can't see us scoring this weekend either  :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:16 pm

stmichael » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:10 pm wrote:sell everybody. three goals in three games is not good enough  :veryangry

Talk about straying off topic... :D
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:42 pm

stmichael » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:10 pm wrote:sell everybody. three goals in three games is not good enough  :veryangry

We wont score this weekend.

It's international bore fest time  :rasp
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby devaney » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:55 pm

StuYesThatStu » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:07 pm wrote:Sorry...

This is total shit mate. 39 points to United's 36 since we played them in January this year is a far better indication of what we are currently achieving. The teams we have taken 9 points off this season are just the teams we struggled to get fk all out of last season. CHEER THE FK UP STU !! YOU'RE BEGINNING TO MAKE BTN LOOK POSITIVE !!

No offence intended. The tact function on my computer is fkd  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby jacdaniel » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:11 pm

Suarez is on big enough money and under contract.  Why should the club have to run around giving him assurances about signing players.
That is none of his business.
We didn't want to sell him so we didn't.
He could have put in a transfer request if he really really wanted out.

Big signings would have been nice of course, but several players rejected us.  This happens when you're not in the CL for 4 seasons. 

Instead we've been in the "Good player but has fallen out of favour at his current club" market and we've done reasonably well since Jan.

Lets give it a chance and see how it goes.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:23 pm

Ben Patrick » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:42 pm wrote:
stmichael » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:10 pm wrote:sell everybody. three goals in three games is not good enough  :veryangry

er that was sort of the joke  :lookaround  :help
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby supersub » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:32 pm

StuYesThatStu » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:43 pm wrote:
All in I kind of feel on the fence, leaning towards negativety... I'm hoping fifth isn't the best we can hope for... i'm affraid though thats all I can see. If we're lucky.

the time away at her majesty's pleasure hasn't changed you then....... :laugh:
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Ben Patrick » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:58 pm

stmichael » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:23 pm wrote:
Ben Patrick » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:42 pm wrote:

er that was sort of the joke  :lookaround  :help

Right over my head  :blush:
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:08 pm

supersub » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:32 pm wrote:
StuYesThatStu » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:43 pm wrote:

the time away at her majesty's pleasure hasn't changed you then....... :laugh:

:laugh:
He's never been a Nun ,but he does have a nasty habit....... I'll get my coat

RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion