I'm feeling nostalgic

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:54 pm

just been watching some LFC videos all afternoon and i'm feeling a bit nostalgic tonight i have to say. 

so, right now we've got Anders Frisk being bullied into retirement by Chelski and their knuckle-head, russian mafia fans, we've got 'fans' disrupting matches by throwing sh#t onto the pitch (like that manc scum who threw a flare onto the pitch at the southampton game), we've got tunnel bust-ups between players and managers (the mancs and @rse for example), we've got racism, pre-match mind games and players like rooney who think that by getting in the ref's face they're going to get dodgy decisions to go their way...

wouldn't it be great if there was a club at the top of Europe that's gracious in victory and doesn't whinge all the time about decisions that didn't go our way when we lose, that's more determined to perform for the fans than to earn enough for a new Bentley, that treats other teams with respect (where they respect us back) and rules European football just by playing quick, exciting pass-and-move football without all the other ****** that comes with being a 'big club'? wouldn't it be great that the team on everybody's lips, that everyone feared to play, was also one that had the most class, dignity and heart?

does that sound like any club we know?!

let's hope that Rafa's revolution doesn't just bring us the glory that this club deserves, in the style of football we love to see, but that we're also a shining example for how a club should behave, just like people like Paisley, Shankley and King Kenny showed the world all those years ago!

YNWA
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby L-type » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:12 pm

Yeah, we have amanager that has class on and off the pitch, and isn't even afraid to mix it up with the fans.  We don't have any cheap mafisioso in our side and I don't recass us seriously injuring another teams player, and by my count we're miles ahead of chelsea
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:29 am

stmichael wrote:just like people like Paisley, Shankley and King Kenny showed the world all those years ago!

what about fagan, everyone seems to forget he won 3 trophies in his first season and took us to the european cup final at heysel
112-1077774096

Postby laza » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:54 am

peewee wrote:
stmichael wrote:just like people like Paisley, Shankley and King Kenny showed the world all those years ago!

what about fagan, everyone seems to forget he won 3 trophies in his first season and took us to the european cup final at heysel

I think your answered your own question Peewee

Poor old Joe's tenure as manager and record was overshadowed by horror of Heysel
I certainly agree with you he doesnt get the credit he deserves. He's become a bit of forgotten manager or even worse written off as just enjoying the fruits of Paisley work
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:32 am

Football desperately needs a strong Liverpool FC challenging for the Premiership and Champions League.

It would relieve the boredom created by Chelski and this "W*nkers Feud" between Wenger and Ferguson which is just going to be stirred up again when they play each other in the FA Cup, which I'm sure they will.

It makes me sick when the press talk about the "Big Three" and we're not in it.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:53 pm

I remember back at the end of the 1980s people used to talk of Fagan as a sorry man who's tenure was wrecked by events and he'd go down as a mere footnote in Liverpool's history.

Thats gas given his enormous success in just two years in charge: Souness, Evans and Houllier would have given anything to win what he won, as would, I dare say, Rafa Benitez.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:36 pm

From what I have read in various lfc books and forums, Joe Fagan could have been the best manager Liverpool ever had, had he assumed the position five years earlier.

He appeared to be tough but fair. If I recall, he was the first manager to drop Kenny Dalglish? To do this so early in his managerial career must have showed the players, and rival clubs that he was in charge.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Sean » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:48 pm

If my memory serves me correctly your right St. Mike.  Fagan dropped Dalglish for a game against Spurs in 1984.  I think the match was played on a Friday night and Michael Robinson was played instead of him.  Kenny wasn't too impressed but was soon back in the first 11.  Ironically, when Kenny took over as manager one of the first things he did was to drop himself.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion