Latest on next season - Uefa decide...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dawson99 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:19 am

Uefa insists Liverpool are not guaranteed entry into next season's Champions League unless they finish fourth in the Premiership.
Liverpool could win the Champions League but miss out by finishing outside the top four league placings.

Uefa communications director William Gaillard said the trophy would not be devalued if the holders were missing.

He told BBC Radio Five Live: "We don't feel the competition would be damaged or we would have it in the rules."

Fourth place is currently occupied by Liverpool's rivals Everton, who need six points from four games to qualify for the Champions League.

Uefa have made it clear it is up to the English Football Association to decide which four teams they enter.

But there are widespread reports claiming the FA's board confirmed they will enter the top four Premiership teams after a meeting on Thursday.

That means the pressure is mounting on Liverpool to clinch Champions League qualification via the Premiership.

Liverpool's Champions League semi-final clash with Chelsea is goalless after the first leg at Stamford Bridge.

But Gaillard is adamant the Champions League would still be as prestigous next season, even if the holders were not playing.

He said: "It is something we have contemplated and we wouldn't have a second thought about it.

"At the same time we would not be outraged if we were asked to include the winner instead of the fourth-placed team. It is up to the FA to decide."

Gaillard added: "For Liverpool to enter the Champions League next year, they have to finish in the top four spots in the English league.

"The rules are clear, but at this stage we are still rather far away from this because Liverpool have to win two games to win the Champions League and there is also nothing to stop them finishing fourth in the English league.

"Our chief executive officer Lars-Christer Olsson was quite clear on this. He said the ruled had been made so that teams would qualify through their national league and this is the way we would like the Champions League to continue."
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:28 am

Tw@ts
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:45 am

i don't give a f*ck what and how UEFA decides. They were most prob being paid by the mafia to unsettle us. Any tournament will lose it's shine if the champion do not get to defend their title.

Let's get into the final first and the FA will throw their weight behind us. Can't see how the BS or Bolton getting past the qualifiers. Besides, no one remembers how many CL you qualify...only how many cups you win. Come next season we will have 5, yes that's a big FIVE
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:51 am

in all fairness to bolton big sam has stated that if he finished 4tha dn we won the champs league, we should go through... big sam, another great man of footy
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:59 am

Santa wrote:i don't give a f*ck what and how UEFA decides. They were most prob being paid by the mafia to unsettle us. Any tournament will lose it's shine if the champion do not get to defend their title.

Let's get into the final first and the FA will throw their weight behind us. Can't see how the BS or Bolton getting past the qualifiers. Besides, no one remembers how many CL you qualify...only how many cups you win. Come next season we will have 5, yes that's a big FIVE

Did the Uefa Cup in 2002, lose it shine, when we did not defend it? Instead we chose to play in the champions league, because we finished fourth in 2001.
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby Big Niall » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:05 pm

I'm amazed Big Sam (who I really rate) said that.

If we win the CL then (assuming we don't get 4th) we can get our fit players together next season, we won't have money for new players (unless SG sold) but the current squad when fit will definately qualify for CL the following season.

It could help us in quest for league.

UEFA cup is bollox so I wouldn't worry about it.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:09 pm

dawson99 wrote:in all fairness to bolton big sam has stated that if he finished 4tha dn we won the champs league, we should go through... big sam, another great man of footy

nobhead..................The only reason he said that, is because realistically he knows they have not got a hope in hell in finishing fourth, with Chelsea as there next opponents. Lets see if his attitude would have been the same if he was in Evertons position.....................fcukin doubt it!!
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:15 pm

it's a sad day when 4th place means more than winning the European Cup      :(  :O
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:38 pm

Big Niall wrote:I'm amazed Big Sam (who I really rate) said that.

If we win the CL then (assuming we don't get 4th) we can get our fit players together next season, we won't have money for new players (unless SG sold) but the current squad when fit will definately qualify for CL the following season.

It could help us in quest for league.

UEFA cup is bollox so I wouldn't worry about it.

Big Niall you fking son of a one eyed weasel!

"UEFA cup is bollox so I wouldn't worry about it."

What a stupid statement to make. If we're in the Uefa cup next season then so be it.

IT'S A TROPHY YOU D!CKHEAD.

We'll still value the trophy and we'll still try to win it. Any chance of silverware should be taken seriously.

You amaze me sometimes.
Last edited by Roger Red Hat on Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:40 pm

LFC #1 wrote:it's a sad day when 4th place means more than winning the European Cup      :(  :O

LFC1 - make no mistake, Liverpool will try to win that trophy even if it means exclusion next season.
Last edited by Roger Red Hat on Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:01 pm

we won't have money for new players

WHAT IN HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

You've clearly lost your mind.

Tell me how we won't have any money, please use your brain before answering this question if you have one.

By getting so far in the Champions League we already have money for this summer's transfer market and if we continue to march on in the CL then we'll have even more money so how will we have no money? "No money" as if we were Bolton and not Liverpool FC

To top it all off the chairman is expected to give some money out of his own pockets for the transfer market.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:07 pm

Good point AB.

I stopped taking anything Big Nail says seriousley ages ago. Mans a loon!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:08 pm

Lee J wrote:
LFC #1 wrote:it's a sad day when 4th place means more than winning the European Cup      :(  :O

LFC1 - make no mistake, Liverpool will try to win that trophy even if it means exclusion next season.

I know mate, I don't think 4th palce is more importnat thena winning that trophy for a second, but the authorities do?

If we win the Champions League i couldn't give a ****** if we are playing in the UEFA Cup, such is the prestige of winning that European Cup.

the recognition the club will get will be amazing, and we will easily cover the lost costs of not qualifying for next season, so we can afford 1 season of UEFA Cup football.

We will still be able to buy top class players, with a respected manager and potential to be right up their amongst the european elite as a team. As far as I am concerned the players who come here should want to come here cos it's LFC, not because we are playing CL footy or not.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:08 pm

There will be money in the pre-season, maybe not as much there if we don't qualify for next season's CL, but there will still be a nice kitty there.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:13 pm

Note: I'm not a morning person :D

Both UEFA and the FA are two spineless organizations, had it been Manchester United in this position the FA wouldn't even have to think about it.

Everton can have the pathetic fourth place if they want it so badly [not really, they just want to finish above us, pathetic lot] and we'll see how long they can last in the Champions League.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion