Kirkland - How is he performing ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Gareth G » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:08 pm

I think its unfair to say hes average at best, everyone has there own opinion though.

I think once Kirkland settles down and realises hes not delf he will have a more willing attitude towards the more spectacular saves and become more consistant. But as of now hes doing a good solid job and instilled confidence (in him) in the defencive line, hes doing what we need at the minute and thats what matters. As much as i like watching spectacular 'keepers at work, if Kirkland plays boring i dont care, as long as he does a good job.

The reason he looks clumsy sometimes is probably because its like making a Liverpool debut again for him, its his first run of games remember and it does take a few to settle the nerves. Look at Dudeks first few games for us, he conceeded a few (3 in on his debut against Aston Villa) then went on to be the Premierships best 'keeper that year!

From what ive seen so far its very promising and i believe it will only get better for him, we have a future England No1 on our hands imo.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:13 pm

He needs more confidence ! He needs to be bossing his area, he hasn't got that command yet !
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby kenco » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:30 pm

there's been a lot of negative remark's on this thread.but none of you would bet against him being england's number one for many year's to come. so he can't be do'in to much wrong.can he? :p
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:59 pm

I fear that Robinson may already have claimed that slot. A bit like Clemence and Shilton, Clemence became the understudy, so may Kirkland. :(
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby kenco » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:03 pm

no way you know kirkland's the next number one.he's much better than robinson, he just needs the chance.  :;): :;):
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:16 pm

I dont think that Kirkland is not confident, hes definitely got confidence ok. In my opinion its just not 100% confidence as it should be, but as i said above, i think it will come to him with the more games he plays.

As for Robinson though, lets just say i wouldnt refuse him if he wanted to play for Liverpool...but again on the other hand, i feel Kirkland will be at his level or possibly exceed his level in time, but hopefully its a case of sooner rather than later!
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kenco » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:27 pm

every fan in the country know's and want's kirkland as the england keeper, robinson is not in the same class.i really can't see what kirkland as done that's so wrong, he has'nt put a foot wrong since he came back into the side,i can't honestly say any goal he's let in has been his fault. :p
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:24 am

Robinson not in the same class as Kirkland? Erm, maybe you are being a touch biased there mate.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:05 am

Robinson has been fantastic, while Kirkland has been shakey at best.  I still think he misplayed the Viera goal horribly by diving the wrong way.  I know he was guessing but why wouldnt u dive towards the goal mouth instead of post when it was near iompossible to slide it just to his left?
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:04 pm

.. I think his distribution could get better .. he does kick the ball up field a lot.. and where not abundantly gifted with height up there are we now?..  I agree with most that with experience he'll get better ... he needs to stay in goal to get that .. I prefer Dudek... but hope Kirkland makes the grade.. and NO MORE INJURIES LAD ..
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:40 am

Kirkland did not cope with Solano's free-kck !
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Santa » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:03 am

He was beaten by the sheer pace of Solano's kick...maybe he could have save it but I won't blame him for the goal
Last edited by Santa on Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:36 pm

Just look at the type of season we are having. Kirkland manages to stay injury free (but not that consistant) & dudek is seemingly on-form at the moment (taking into consideration his display against france & spurs).

Not saying we should drop kirkland but he does not seem to be the best english goalkeeper around that some make him out to be. Robinson is deffo number 1 at the moment.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:39 pm

I thought kirkland should have saved that what with his height and all. But guess, have to give him more time. He does look more safe than dudek (esp during collecting crosses). But dudek is on-form now.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:43 pm

Hmmm, i got a say ive found myself slightly backening off what i said!

Although Salanos free kick had sheer pace, a bit of a wobble and loads of dip. It was in the path of Kirkland and he should have done better.

I do think Kirkland can become very good, but the more i see Robinson play the more i get dissapointed in Chris.

There three English players i would want at the minute, they are Paul Robinson, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Jermain Defoe.
Last edited by Gareth G on Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion