How do you like your new team ? - Are they performing as expected ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thor Viking » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:53 am

After a long discussion last season about GH and some of the players, LFC has a new manager and some new players. Are they good enough to win titles this season? I saw them in Cl last wednesday - 1st half was good but in 2nd their performance were a bit lazy I think. The commentators meant that they probably had 1-2 gears to use if they needed.Can mr. Benitez bring titles to Anfield and will Cisse be topscorer?  :kungfu:
Thor Viking
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:59 am

I'm afraid yes we can, Thor.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:59 am

Yes I think benitez is the right man for the job, I also think we will go far in the CL this season, if the boys keep playing well and full of confidence and self belief.  Cisse maybecome top scorer next season I doubt this one he needs time.
But raffas the man he doesnt like failure and he wont put up with any ordinary lazy performances from no one.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:51 am

Benithez will not tolerate any factionism or nonsense like player power either, that is why some who can't take it like Owen has left. It was reported that "a few senior first team players" were able to influence Houllier with the starting line-up some time late last season. perhaps this is why Murphy and Owen left in a hurry.

Of late, the team has been displaying their capacity to pass the ball around with more accuracy and play with more purpose as well. The work ethics seemed to have improved and there were no passengers playing on auto mode without thinking anymore. This is a good sign that some progress has been made.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:46 am

I have to say at the moment the team are performing better then what i expected.

GH wasnt going to take us any further and the staleness would probably had us slipping back.

I certainly was rapted with appointment of Rafa though i was expecting a tough year of rebuilding.
This was only further exasperated by late loss of MO and the late arrival of Alonso and Garcia.
If he can gets us CL qualification again then i be happy
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whylongball? » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:46 pm

if the team play the way they did  against  Monaco or better which i suppose they could, then why not? who could match that kind of passing and movement. Only the current Arsenal   :D
whylongball?

Postby A.B. » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:51 pm

If Houllier was still here we would had been in 5th place at the end of the season.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Gerrard#1 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:18 pm

probably
U say get over him, i say get under him!!:P
Gerrard#1

Postby madred » Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:33 pm

[quote] Azriahmad- Benithez will not tolerate any factionism or nonsense like player power either, that is why some who can't take it like Owen has left. It was reported that "a few senior first team players" were able to influence Houllier with the starting line-up some time late last season. perhaps this is why Murphy and Owen left in a hurry.
Azriahmad i think you have your wires crossed over Danny & Michael!!
Last edited by madred on Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:37 am

well, madred, perhaps I did get my wires crossed but I did read somehwere that Houllier wnated Biscan to start in a game and was "convinced" to strat with Murphy instead by some senior members of the team. It had been inferred, not specifically said, that those "seniors" were Owen and Gerrard, with Murphy in tow.

Also, initially Owen lauded the appointment of Benithez but did not fancy the changes after the first few week and kept stalling on the signing of the new contract and decided to ask for a ridiculous amount of wages. He ended up going to Real Madrid on much less wages and being 4th in the pecking order. He wanted to go, we were then desperate not to let a Bosman happen.

On the team side of things, I'd reserve my judgement until Liverpool shows consistency in results and playing over a reasonable period. However, on the evidence of the first few games so far, it seems that the new approach is being grasped by the players and Liverpool are finally playing with crisp passing and invention and ideas, something we have lacked for a long time.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby madred » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:30 am

The game in question was the Man Utd game at Old Trafford Azriahmad. Rumour has it that when the team was announced Steven Gerrard told Houllier to put Danny Murphy back into the starting line up after he had been named on the bench. I really dont think it was in Michaels intentions to leave us this season but he made that promise of never doin a McManaman so he had to go earlier than expected. Maybe if Benitez's appointment had come a bit earlier maybe Michael would have commited himself to the club for good even though he always said he would always like a move abroad at some stage. If Liverpool were as succesful as Arsenal he would still be here i reckon. As for Danny i think the writing was on the wall when Benitez called him to the office and told him that he wouldnt be playing many games. Danny loved the club and would still be here if wanted but Benitez was basically telling him that he's not up the task of playing in his new look Liverpool.
Last edited by madred on Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:59 pm

Danny always gives his all whenever he plays but players leaving is a part and parcel of changes in the management regime. I wished him luck and thanked him for his contributions in the several threads about Murphy leaving.
I agree with most fans that he is a rather limited player but at the very least he always gave it his all when he pulls on a red shirt.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion