Johnson - A bad joke?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby SouthernScouser » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:11 pm

it's a catch twenty two
We could seriously do with another striker because of the Champions League
Whether Johnson is the right man or not - I'm not convinced he is
But we could be creating another problem - knowing our luck - we'll get another Striker - then once Cisse is fit again - we won't have any injuries up front for months
Then it will be "How can we keep them all happy"
They can't all play - and the way Rafa changes the tactics as well, depending on who the opposition is - we sometimes only employ one attacker - and flood the midfield - with the wing backs pushing on.
The last thing we want is Morientes thinking he's warming the bench again
Hopefully this is way off the mark - cause normally someone has a niggling injury
Just a thought though ???
SouthernScouser

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:47 pm

Johnson is a good player and i would love Liverpool to buy him,he scores consistently and could easily bring us 20 goals a season .
Crystal Palace are poor but he still finds the net even against quality defenders in the premiership,he would be a good addition to our squad
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Djiin » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:00 pm

he might not be fashionable or glamourous striker in epl but he can score goals.. ???
Djiin

Postby lakes10 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:23 pm

hmm radio five live are saying that Andy Johnson will become a liverpool player tomorrow .
he is ok but i dont rate him that much.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ronmeister » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:42 pm

i hope not,in my opinion he is no where as good as pongelle and the price tag being attached to johnson is not realistic he is still unproven in the prem
ronmeister

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:45 pm

I hope thats true Lakes, I forsee a lot of people eating their words on this forum after all Dalglish wasn't fashionable and he became the greatest player ever to don a red shirt .Im not saying he will emulate King Kenny but Benitez will make him better and thats a mouthwatering prospect,plus he is young pacy and English
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:52 pm

Could Crystal Palace striker Andrew Johnson be on his way to Anfield despite the new signing of Fernando Morientes to fill up the strikers void?

Liverpool have been linked with a move for Andrew Johnson during the current transfer window. Everyone thought it would be one or the other, but now, despite the signing of Spanish striker Fernando Morientes a few papers are saying that Johnson could be on his way to Anfield.

Johnson has been instrumental in Palaces survival battle so far this season, which has earned him a £8 mnillion price tag.

At the beginning of the transfer window Benitez was told he would have £5 million to spend but has already spent £6.3 million on Morientes. Surely £8 million would be rocking the boat a bit.

Benitez is still looking to bring in another goal keeper. Second choice Chelsea keeper Carlo Cudicini today stated that he wants to leave the club and with the talent he has could cause a lot of top teams on the hunt for his signature.

Well we wont be getting Leeds goalie as hes had talks with chelsea today. But I dont think Johnsons worth 8 mill ???
unless Mellor and someone else will be going the other way in a deal if this is true.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:56 pm

ronmeister wrote:i hope not,in my opinion he is no where as good as pongelle and the price tag being attached to johnson is not realistic he is still unproven in the prem

Why is Johnson still unproven in the Premiership he scores consistently and many of his goals he has crafted from nothing ,put Andy Johnson in a quality side and he will be a 20 goals plus striker something Liverpool need since we lost Owen
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ronmeister » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:08 pm

How many seasons has he had in the Prem? How many goals from open play?
price's being quoted of 8 mil , thats a lot of dosh for a player who hasnt even had a full season as a first team prem player,
Birmingham swapped him in a deal with clinton morrison if i remember right, yeah he's scord a few goals this season but next season will be the time to tell if he is worth 8 mil you think he is worth more than Morientes or anelka? lets wake up pple we are looking to win the prem not be average
ronmeister

Postby SALTROCK67 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:15 pm

Its ok saying lets wait another year to see if he carries on scoring but if he does then that 8mill will have doubled.If Rafa is intrested and we have the cash to buy him then y not,the gaffer understands football better than any of us so have some faith. :D  :D
SALTROCK67

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:18 pm

Who says he would be average playing for the reds and no he may not be a better player than Morientes ,but he is decidedly younger .Morientes is world class and I am over the moon we have secured his signature but Liverpool probably wont be able to bring Anelka so lets have other options
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ronmeister » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:19 pm

Gerrard Houllier knows football better than me but look at a bit of his judgement, anyway i am willing to give anyone the benefit of the doubt and i hope he comes and proves me wrong but if he dont you can bet i will post "i told ya so" :)
ronmeister

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:21 pm

I reckon we would get Anelka for 5 mill no ones really banging down citys door to sign him are they?
He wants out Keegan wants shut just depends how much cash we have to spend, because we do need good strikers, pongolles been playing ok but hes a bit lightweight, we need someone to run at defenders, and Baros is injury prone even tho he gives 110 procent workrate when he plays and hes fit.
If we are to go further in the CL we need to good strikers.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:45 pm

Its got to be at least 8 million as PSG have yet to recieve the full monetary payment for said player and will take a large slice of the proverbial cake .
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:56 pm

Ridiculous as it may seem, Johnson would almost certainly cost quite a bit more than Anelka. Somebody posted earlier that if Palace sell him they can kiss goodbye to the Prem and this is undoubtedly correct, without his goals they would be adrift already. Simon Jordan doesn't exactly need the money and I would be amazed if you could get him for less than 10 million (please note, I'm not saying he is worth anything like 10, more like 3 but that is what he would cost IMHO).
In the case of Anelka, how much is he worth? Not to us but to Man City. He has practically refused to play. He continually puts the club down in the press and insults the supporters and also is on a fat salary. If his dispute drags on and he does his sulky routine to the end of the season (and lets face it, nobody does it better) then how much will he be worth then?
PSG or no PSG a solid 4.5 million, take it or leave it offer would get him I think. It's a risk but one I would take on balance.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion