John welsh - What for him now?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:36 pm

Although he has looked very impressive over the past couple of years and seemed closest to making the first team than any of his peers, something must have changed in the past few months as Potter and Warnock seem to have overtaken him in the pecking order.

I wonder if he is showing the right kind of attitude in training or whether Rafa simply doesn't rate him as highly as others - it is quite a remarkable turnaround and seeing as though Rafa has proven that he is prepared to give youth a chance. I suppose the signing of Xabi Alonso hasn't helped, but the fact is that John Welsh is an England under 21 international and captain of the reserves.

When will he ever get a chance?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Matt D » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:10 pm

good point, where has he gone
he was and still is rated as the next stevie Gerrard which is good news for us but we need to see him in some first team action. Like you said the new signings havnt helped his cause but i am sure RB has been looking at him and i think he may get a chance like the other 2 youngsters
Matt D

Postby Ciggy » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:17 pm

I think we'll start seein more of the Youth squad getting a go if we progress in CL, F.A cup an that because the likes of stevie and that to have a rest nunez plays tomorrow for the reserves weres he going to fit into the squad? I know raffa is a fan of rotation but if he becomes a first team player which he will comin from Real he cant be left on the bench so there will be more unhappy faces goin round ???
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:28 pm

Loan spell perhaps  ???
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:34 pm

Great things were spoken of Welsh, but he hasn't featured so far.

I note that he is in tonight's squad.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Paul C » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:08 pm

One thing I like about Beni is that he likes to give youth a chance :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:43 pm

As fans, I think we like to see young players in the side, including youth team graduates - they offer potential, and the ability to show us something new. Of course, it doesn't mean that they are any better than the older players, who we've perhaps become tired of seeing (familiarity does indeed breed some contempt). If a young player tidied up play like Didi Hamann, we'd all be purring, but it's the least we expect of the German. If Alonso can do the same, and add extra dimensions once the ball is won, it's natural to want to see him play (not least because he should improve yet further in the fullness of time). But for all Alonso's precocious maturity, he's only played one full game in English football. In that sense, he's a total rookie.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby who the hell is diarra » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:40 pm

I think perhaps we have seen the last of John Welsh at Anfield and he may well move on in the transfer window. Welsh has looked a decent player for some time now he has often put in some commanding performances for the reserves , his problem has been puttting this experience to good use in the first team.

Lack of oportunities has been a problem for him but the centre of mid field has long been one of the few areas where we had real stregnth in depth with Stevie, Didi , Danny  and now Alonso even with Danny gone Welsh would always find spaces in the starting line up hard to come by.  Rafa's choice to play Biscan and Diao ahead of him also speaks volumes.

Rafa has not been slow to give youth a chance has been shown with starts for Warnock and Potter. Welshs faliure to make the starting line up under  Rafa makes me think he will be elsewhere soon. Either at a 1st division club or a lower end premership club . I would hardly see it as a great loss to the club but would wish him all the best. :)
Last edited by who the hell is diarra on Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always Look on the bright side of life
der der ........der der der der der

Drummerphil You'll never walk alone
who the hell is diarra
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion