Jack hobbs - Permanent to leicester?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Gerrard30391 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:44 pm

Just heard on SSN that Milan Manderic is trying to make Hobbs' contract at the Walker's Stadium a permanent one within the next few days.

Should we be trying to keep good, young players or are we looking at making money from them. Although not much we should get a profit for him?
"I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:52 am

Even if the lad isnt going to make it an Anfield, why demonstrate a complete lack of ambition by going to Leicester?  Surely he could walk into any top 10 club and most first teams in the premier league?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:58 am

Give over. If he were good enough to walk into most top ten sides, then he would have played more games for us.

He's not good enough. He had tonnes of early potential which he has never realised.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:26 am

I agree with Lando on this one. If he were good enough to walk into top ten teams in the Premiership, then top ten teams in the Premiership would be in for him. As for realising his potential, we bought him when he was 16 years old or something when he'd just broken into Lincoln City's first team I think it was. He's turned into an excellent player to be fair to him, just not excellent enough to become a Premiership footballer at this stage, and some way short by all accounts of being good enough for a big four team.

To be a regular at a big four team like Liverpool, you really do have to be a superb player. Players on the fringe such as Agger and Hyppia will be blokes who will stand out in major International tournaments, not being quite up to that standard is nothing to be ashamed of.

In truth our first team numbers are way too high and there should be some culling. This is hopefully the starting point.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:46 am

Yep I seen him play few times and he never lived up to what I heard he could do.

Shame really but its the story of so many players.

Lando is right if he was a prem players he would have got given at least a chance by rafa when we was having defender problems.

As for making a profit on him you never make profits on players nowa days due to the mount of wages these young lads get but I am sure we prob made back at least 25% of what we spent.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:23 am

the good news for us is that they just earned promotion and he started almost all their games and I believe they had one of if not the best defenses in the league, and he is still ONLY 20 years old!  I think that we are in a great position with him in that if we don't get the offer we are looking for we can always sign him to a one year extension, and tell him good job lad your knocking on the door to replace Hyypia while loaning him out again and seeing if he gets better and increases his value even further.
JoeTerp

Postby Effes » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:30 am

Im not sure people have seen enough of the lad to make an informed judgement.

The club will most probably make the right choice, but I would like to see someone
step up into the first team and get a few appearances.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:31 am

like Insua?
JoeTerp

Postby lakes10 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:50 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:Give over. If he were good enough to walk into most top ten sides, then he would have played more games for us.

He's not good enough. He had tonnes of early potential which he has never realised.

no its due to the fact he is English.

We only pick none english players for our first team (apart from one young English player i can not think of any that have made it into our first team for more that two games this year from our youth set up they have all been non english, i might be wrong).
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:37 am

lakes10 wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:Give over. If he were good enough to walk into most top ten sides, then he would have played more games for us.

We only pick none english players for our first team (apart from one young English player i can not think of any that have made it into our first team for more that two games this year from our youth set up they have all been non english, i might be wrong).

NO - Its due to the fact he isnt good enough for our first team- nothing to do with him being english . Nationality has nothing to do with it .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:03 am

GYBS wrote:
lakes10 wrote:

NO - Its due to the fact he isnt good enough for our first team- nothing to do with him being english . Nationality has nothing to do with it .

i think the facts stand, list all the young British players that have made our first team from 1990 to 2001

no list all the british players that have made our first team from 2001 to now.

I just still get the feeling that our club turns its back on young british player and looks over seas.

in the last two years things have got very bad.

young kids will look to go to other clubs as they know they will not get a chance at our club.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:09 am

List all the english players that have made big breakthroughs at any club over the years ?

And i noticed it has changed from English to british now ?

We all know why clubs go for foriegn players over English players - On the whole they are techincally better , more skillfull and most of all cheaper than there counterparts .

yes we had loads of English kids /British Kids breakthrough 90 -01 but what did they actually win ?

From 01 until now what have we won ?

The club has a fair number of young british lads in the academy and ressies and also a fair number of foriegn lads -

If they are good enough they will get a chance - irrespective of where they are from .

There is no basis or facts to say that the club turns it back on english/british lads .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:15 am

Can't say I agree Lakes. I think there may definately be a case for concentrating our recruitment efforts closer to Home, nurturing more local kids rather than searching the globe for the next big thing, but once the kids are at the club I don't think nationality comes into it. There may also be something in many peoples claims that we don't give enough young kids a chance, but if the accusation is that we are prejudiced against selecting British kids in particular against foreign ones I'm sorry but I think that's nonsense.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:23 am

Southend have always given Liverpool frist look at young kids, we did not even turn up this year to look at the ones they said were good, instead we looked at France and Spain (and other places) Grays asked us to look at a few players we said no, ok i think we might have been right there but they ended up going to play for Wolves and we know what they have just done.

I dont agree with GYBS "On the whole they are techincally better , more skillfull "
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SuppleMonkey » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:39 am

lakes10 wrote:

Thats a corker sonny Jim.
SuppleMonkey

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion