If you were rafa. - What approach

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:34 am

How would you go about beating Chelski,

Would you stick with the 4-5-1 formation or start with a 4-4-2.
And  would you tell your team to approach the the game  in the same way as they did against Juve (blitz em).Attacking them from the off,and getting an early goal. knowing that they are very good on the counter and run the risk maybe of conceeding.

or

Would you go for a more cautious approach, playing a similar way
to that of the game at Chelsea and keep it tight for a longer period of the game .Again knowing that Chelski could score late on meaning we need two goals.

With Anfield raising the roof i think it will be i high tempo first 20 but after that im not to sure what will pan out.

So the question is if you were Rafa how would you want it to pan out  ,obviously with a win but what strategy ?
66-1112520797

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:18 am

I wish I knew mate, that is why Rafa is manager and not any of us.

in Rafa we trust. :)
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:51 am

attack is the best form of defence.

i just hope we dont have to sit there for 90 minutes watching our defence hoofing the ball upfield straight back to chelski so they can keep attacking. we cant defend for 90 minutes and hope to get a goal on the break.

i think it should be high tempo from the start, straight at them and dont let the pressure drop all game. if didi is fit he can sit in front of the defence to protect them while we are marauding forward
112-1077774096

Postby Starbridge42 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:48 am

I'd go with that too.  Its a situation you have to take a risk in (IMO)

We have nothing to lose at all so we should go out there with every intent to take the game to Chelsea, we have to dare to win.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby siti_zaiton1982 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:41 pm

LFC #1 wrote:I wish I knew mate, that is why Rafa is manager and not any of us.

:;):  :laugh:
siti_zaiton1982
LFC Super Member

Postby azriahmad » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:06 pm

Only thing is, peewee, without Alonso the team lacks cutting edge in passing. Gerrard is adventurous but his passing seems to have deteriorated this season unlike Lampard who has found increasing accuraccy in his long passes.

Another thing is that our strikers are rather blunt of late. The goalscoring task may well fall onto the likes of Riise, Gerrard or Garcia. I can't see Baros improving his poor scoring form so soon. I hope Cisse will come good if he gets to play early or even start.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:10 pm

If I were Rafa? Id cover myself in honey and roll around in the red light district of Amsterdam. Dont ask me why.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:13 pm

If it was me I'd go for it, all guns blazing. Let's not die wondering, if we're gonna get beat (and I don't think we will BTW) let's not be left with regrets, maybe if we'd done this, or maybe if we'd done that. The crowd are going to be absolutely buzzing at the start so I'd rip into them from the off and surf that tidal wave of emotion.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:17 pm

Both teams will be fairly happy with the result. But I just feel we will have a bit more pressure on us because of the possibility of conceding an away goal.

I think if we try and attack them, like we did against Juventus at home, we will lose. Chelsea will love it if we come at them, Drogba, Robben and Duff will find so much space if go after them and play a high line.

I would play exactly the same as we did on Wednesday.

Rafa is smart manager, and knows exactly how to play in Europe in each situation.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:39 pm

We have to be a bit more positive than in the first leg (although rafa's tactics were spot on on wednesday)

I don't think it really matters if we play 1 or 2 up front, what matters is the mentality of the whole team in terms of when to attack and when not to.  With the atmosphere at anfield it will be natural for us to be on the offensive and chelsea to try and hit us on the break, we just need to be careful.

I think we need to score first.  The first goal is the most important because if chelsea get it then it becomes a psychological struggle for us knowing we at least need to score twice.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:01 pm

I don't know, thats why I'm not the manager and why Rafa is who is going to spend all his time after Boro game thinking what formation and tactics he will use. The man breaths,drinks and eats football.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:31 pm

We dont want to rush things on tuesday night,  we cant over commit ourselves we cant charge at them from the off, they will  catch us on the break thats just what mourinno wants us to do...but Raffa is more cunning than to fall for that one. It willnot be like the juve' game we will have to show patience and probe for an opening. ???
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:40 pm

If I was rafa Id say listen lads, these b@stards have cheated us twice this season, done 2 dirty @rse trick one with the handball :glare: , the other getting Xabi banned.
So listen to me go out there and f@ckin batter them, our fans will take care of the rest  :cool: , chelsea you really wont know whats waiting for you when you walk out onto the famous anfield pitch on a european night. :devil:

Heres a little taster :D

http://www.liverpoolfc.nu/songs/We_Love_You_Liverpool.mp3
http://www.liverpoolfc.nu/songs/Scouser_Tommy.mp3
http://www.liverpoolfc.nu/songs/Rafa_Rafael.mp3
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby welshred » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:41 pm

Its so hard to say.........if we go at them like we did against juve hopefully we can get 2 goals b4 half time go into the second half 2, up bring cisse on 4 baros then hold what we've got with cisse the lone striker but then i'll be chomping me nails to the bone waiting for the whistle to go.
they were playing the long ball against us in the 1st game and it was working now and then with cole against traore so if we put warnock there against him and get warnock to give the diving git a good ole crunching tackle in the first 5 mins that will stop there long ball play. But its up to Rafa at the end of the day how he goes about it ..
welshred

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion