How far away are we? - From a title winning squad

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:01 pm

QUOTE - "I also see a side that DESPERATELY NEEDS a centre half to partner Carragher as Agger is simply not as good as the people on this board want to think he is"

[quote] - "My gripe is clear with Agger. Its not that I don't rate him. Its that I don't rate him...  wait for it...  As highly as others do"

Stu - I'm not clear on your thoughts on Agger. We desperately need another centre-half? but then you also say that you do rate the player, just not as highly as a few of the other fans on the boards. If we'd been shipping goals left right and centre i be inclined to agree with you but i think the transition from Hyppia (a player have always rated and still rate very highly as you know) to Agger has been virtually seamless. I have been impressed with the quiet way he goes about his business. At 22 he is young for a centre-half at a top club and i imagine he is still finding his feet at this level. No doubt he is benefiting from playing alongside Carra and it has enabled him to get on with his game while Carra barks orders at all and sundry (Agger included). I also believe there is still scope in his game to improve and centre-half, more than any other position (except perhaps, Goalkeeper) is a position where players seem to grow/improve with age/experience.

I wonder how you would compare Agger to young Michael Dawson (also 22) at Tottenham? I recall that you were not a fan of Dawson in his Forrest days and didn't fancy the idea of him signing for the Redmen. You have talked about Agger not attacking the ball in the air. This (for me) is one of Dawson's best attributes.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:27 pm

Scottbot wrote:Stu - I'm not clear on your thoughts on Agger. We desperately need another centre-half? but then you also say that you do rate the player, just not as highly as a few of the other fans on the boards. If we'd been shipping goals left right and centre i be inclined to agree with you but i think the transition from Hyppia (a player have always rated and still rate very highly as you know) to Agger has been virtually seamless. I have been impressed with the quiet way he goes about his business. At 22 he is young for a centre-half at a top club and i imagine he is still finding his feet at this level. No doubt he is benefiting from playing alongside Carra and it has enabled him to get on with his game while Carra barks orders at all and sundry (Agger included). I also believe there is still scope in his game to improve and centre-half, more than any other position (except perhaps, Goalkeeper) is a position where players seem to grow/improve with age/experience.

That's my point as well, mate.  Agger may be ever so slightly over-hyped by some but he's slotted in brilliantly and he's got years ahead of him to hone his skills.  Stu's big on the notion that improvements in a player are marginal past a certain stage but a centre back's always going to improve their reading of the game and positional sense.  Agger's got the skills to be a quality centre half in this league and that's good enough for me. 

As such, I wouldn't say that CB is a priority for us at all this transfer window.  As I've said, I think we're sorted defensively and in central midfield.  We need quality wingers for both flanks and a striker who can change a game in an instant.

One way to look at it is to evaluate the perceived gap between our players and those of our biggest rivals.  I don't think the Mancs, Chelsea or Arsenal have defenders who are miles ahead of ours (although our opponents undoubtedly have some gems who would get into the first team at Liverpool).  We hold our own defensively, as our record indicates.  In central midfield I think we've got the players that other teams would love.  Sure, a player like Scholes is quality but, as a quartet, I'm very satisfied with our lads.  The big gulfs in class, then, are clearly on the flanks and up top.  Ronaldo, Giggs, Robben, Cole...hell, even Ljunberg (not to mention Lennon, Duff, Barry, Milner, Gamst Pedersen...), would stroll into our team at the moment and improve our game considerably.  Up top, Rooney, Saha, Henry, Van Persie, Drogba, Shevchenko (yes, Shevchenko) and a few others from around the league would also relegate our current strikers to the bench.

Bottom line, we will have the dosh so it's time to spend big and sign so real quality on the flanks and up top in order to close these gaps.  The longer we rely on grafters in the creative areas while our rivals call on thoroughbreds, the harder it will be for us to get a sniff at the title.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Effes » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:28 pm

Im not sure whther Rafa has the right mentality for the Prem, I know Im not the only one to say this.

He overdoses on tactics and starves them of inspiration (IN THE PREM) especailly
away from home.

Too many players in the squad with "average" qualiy.

Also, playing 2 defensive central midfielders will not win you the Prem League.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:51 pm

People are rightly saying about the need for wingers and a striker, but I really do think we could do with a central attacking midfielder/forward as well. As Effes said to a point but I know what he's saying. I wouldn't ever call Alonso a defensive midfielder though, he's practically the football equivalent of a 'quarterback'. Sits back and spreads the play and creates. If we had a central attacking midfielder coupled with Gerrard and a solitary forward with star quality we could rip any side apart maintaining a degree of defensive solidity.

-----------------------------------Reina--------------------------------------------------
------

Finnan                 Carragher                       Agger                            Riise

Lennon                Gerrard                           Alonso                          Simao

Tevez

Anelka

Ok, he has a bit of an attitude (anelka) but look at Cantona fo the mancs.

What dya reckon.
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:19 pm

:D

FFS Stu got banned again!

He always carries a decent enough arguement like.Although he cannot admit when he is wrong that is not the problem....The guy cant stop insulting people cause he gets angry!

Hes a decent enough fella though,i talk to him on MSN and he calls me all the cu.nts of the day at times like i do him!Big deal ffs unless his insults are racist or the like i think he should be left alone,its just his way and the way he talks!

Stu can be a pain in the hole at times yeah but hes good for the forum.i think anyway!

Let him back on Peewee ya big jobsworth! :D
66-1120597113

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:34 pm

BarryBelfast wrote: :D

He always carries a decent enough arguement like.Although he cannot admit when he is wrong that is not the problem....The guy cant stop insulting people cause he gets angry!

Hes a decent enough fella though,i talk to him on MSN and he calls me all the cu.nts of the day at times like i do him!Big deal ffs unless his insults are racist or the like i think he should be left alone,its just his way and the way he talks!

Stu can be a pain in the hole at times yeah but hes good for the forum.i think anyway!

I agree, he spices the forum up and gives the topics more of an edge
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:48 pm

BarryBelfast wrote::D

yeah, he does offer some good points

But i found that not only does he not like admiting he was wrong - for me its the fact that he wont except anybody else's opinion if its different from his.

He doesn't say 'we'll agree to disagree' or 'i see your point, but i think.....' Instead he says  'your wrong, you obviously know nothing about football'

For the people that know him, they think, oh that's just stu. But for the people who dont, or relative newbies to the forum may come away not liking the forum because they've been slagged off for just having an opinion
Last edited by Redman in wales on Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:37 pm

To be honest, I think this forum is a livelier place with Stu posting on it.

And however annoying his insults and stubbornness to accept another point of view can be, he does often talk sense.

For me, so long as he can keep a lid on the kind of seriously out-of-order racist slurs that earned him a ban some time back, I'd have no problem with his ban being lifted. Agreeing to disagree every now and again wouldn't hurt either. :p
ivor_the_injun

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:42 pm

Redman in wales wrote:

But i found that not only does he not like admiting he was wrong - for me its the fact that he wont except anybody else's opinion if its different from his.

He doesn't say 'we'll agree to disagree' or 'i see your point, but i think.....' Instead he says  'your wrong, you obviously know nothing about football'

For the people that know him, they think, oh that's just stu. But for the people who dont, or relative newbies to the forum may come away not liking the forum because they've been slagged off for just having an opinion

So if someone of your mates called you a di.ckhead on the street you'd shy away and phone the police!

Wise up!

Its the internet where men talk about football and stuff if you are in any way hypersensitive go and powder your nose in a health spa!

FFS so Stu has opinions and can insult folk at time!Bid deal..If you dont like it simply dont read his posts!
66-1120597113

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:46 pm

BarryBelfast wrote:
Redman in wales wrote:

So if someone of your mates called you a di.ckhead on the street you'd shy away and phone the police!

Wise up!

Its the internet where men talk about football and stuff if you are in any way hypersensitive go and powder your nose in a health spa!

FFS so Stu has opinions and can insult folk at time!Bid deal..If you dont like it simply dont read his posts!

amen brother! :bowdown
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:28 pm

BarryBelfast wrote:
Redman in wales wrote:

Wise up!

So its ok for me to call you a d.ickhead and a c0ck and say that you know abolutely nothing about football everytime i disagree with you then barry? - i'll remember that.  :p

tbh the insults dont bother me at all either - was only saying about newbies who dont know him, and before you know it its a full blown slaging match with nothing to do with football and they both get banned - again.

though your street analagy doesn't work, cause you can't exactly hit anyone through phone wires can you?
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:36 pm

Call me all you want to and more mate,i dont mind!...as for the street analagy..I dont get that either?

Maybe you could explain..hit through wires???

Im bemused! :D
66-1120597113

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:50 pm

U lot no nothing about football. You're a disgrace

wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stoney » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:54 pm

wrighty (not mark!) wrote:U lot no nothing about football. You're a disgrace

get a clue lad  :p
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:56 pm

U lot better be gettin ready to go out cos theres no way im stayin on this all night, gonna go out and get drunk! woohoo. Guess some fans are more dedicated than me!!! :p
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion