Good news!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redspirit » Mon May 24, 2004 7:23 am

Mon 24 May, 3:55 AM

LONDON (Reuters) - Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier is on the verge of being shown the door by the premier league club, several newspapers have reported.

The Frenchman learned of his fate during discussions with David Moores at the Liverpool chairman's home at the weekend, said the reports on Monday.

Houllier, who was told a replacement as coach was being sought, is expected to leave the club in the next 24 hours, the reports added.

Speculation mounted last Thursday when it was suggested the 56-year-old would be leaving Liverpool within a week.

But Houllier moved on Saturday to dampen the media reports on his future, saying he was certain to remain in charge of the club next season.

"I am 100 percent sure I will be here next season," Houllier told British newspapers.

Houllier had emergency heart surgery in October 2001 and almost everyone inside and outside Anfield was pleased to see him back on the touchline six months later, but the Frenchman has delivered little since their treble season three years ago.

The pressure has mounted over the past few weeks as Liverpool consider a huge cash injection from Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who wants to buy a stake in the famous English premier league club.

Liverpool's haul of two major domestic cups and the UEFA Cup in 2001 gave Houllier the platform to move the club forward but they have struggled for Champions League football and few of his signings have made the grade in his six years at the club.

I'm getting happier as GH's days at LFC are numbered.
redspirit

Postby woof woof ! » Mon May 24, 2004 7:41 am

BBC radio Monday 24th 7:25 am.
"After a meeting yesterday it is understood that Houllier will be leaving Liverpool today "

:D :D :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion